EVENT Midwest Power 16 Pre-registration is open

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I heard something about one of the hotels (days inn)? being full that weekend due to a wedding. Anyone have any info on that?

I heard something about one of the hotels (days inn)? being full that weekend due to a wedding. Anyone have any info on that?

I reserved a room at the Days Inn last Monday. Don't know status now though.

I think it is the AmericInn Hotel that might be full. When my wife made reservations a week ago they said there were not many rooms left.

PS. She won't stay at the Day's Inn

SDramstad, do you know which day you are planning on launching your L2200? I am planning on being there Saturday and Sunday. I would like to see that!

Finally remembered to register... Wanted to get Airfest behind me. I mostly have, except for the dust in the car... Cripes, that stuff has staying power...
I didn't have any problem getting a room at the Days Inn. It's much easier to crawl to your room after the after party when your room is IN the hotel...:rolleyes::rolleyes::oops:

I have a room reserved from the 1st to the 5th and hope to fly a bit and volunteer the rest of the time. First time I'll be staying longer than a day. If the weather is not up to snuff, I'll bring a bottle or two of Rumple Minze.
I'll bring all my tracking stuff whether or not I'll need it if anyone wants to take a look. APRSIS/32 which can do APRS with photomaps and hacked to do NMEA trackers like EggFinder and a T3. Works on a tablet. Xastir on a Linuxbox that fits in the palm of hand and can do APRS or NMEA with hacks for NMEA. (It's a bit unwieldy, runs on a Pocket Chip that's no longer in production. Also gotta have a wireless mouse.) The bullet proof APRS tracking with a Garmin handheld 60Cs wired to a Kenwood D72A which was "doable" in ~2005 with a Kenwood D7A(g) but cost a fortune to by the hardware back then. I invested and more than recovered the start up costs with rocket recoveries that I would not have found otherwise with a Beeline GPS.
Kurt Savegnago

Can't believe I almost missed this, can't wait for another year lets pray its better weather then last!
Now if I can just find time to build something..

I have a room reserved from the 1st to the 5th and hope to fly a bit and volunteer the rest of the time. First time I'll be staying longer than a day. If the weather is not up to snuff, I'll bring a bottle or two of Rumple Minze.
I'll bring all my tracking stuff whether or not I'll need it if anyone wants to take a look. APRSIS/32 which can do APRS with photomaps and hacked to do NMEA trackers like EggFinder and a T3. Works on a tablet. Xastir on a Linuxbox that fits in the palm of hand and can do APRS or NMEA with hacks for NMEA. (It's a bit unwieldy, runs on a Pocket Chip that's no longer in production. Also gotta have a wireless mouse.) The bullet proof APRS tracking with a Garmin handheld 60Cs wired to a Kenwood D72A which was "doable" in ~2005 with a Kenwood D7A(g) but cost a fortune to by the hardware back then. I invested and more than recovered the start up costs with rocket recoveries that I would not have found otherwise with a Beeline GPS.
Kurt Savegnago

Uuuuuum....were you speaking English?

Uuuuuum....were you speaking English?

Yeah I was. I unfortunately got addicted to GPS tracking just after I started flying rockets in '06 and got a ham ticket in '07. I endeavored like crazy to be able to track on a live map and hence went through a
pile for programs and learned a lot of jargon. For that, I apologize. Nonetheless, it's still fun to push the button, look at the map and go get it without any worry, muss or fuss. Can't see the rocket or the main chute?
Who cares as long at the positions are "beeping" in on the GPS tracker. Am not going to get into a peeing fight with the RDF crowd. That's all there was before GPS and the commercial stuff was way the heck overpriced.
Smart people who fly to extremes use more than one tracking modality to ensure recovery success. Otherwise one can waste a perfectly good day of flying trying to find a lost project. Kurt

I think EX rules allow flyers to use de-certified motors.. Is this correct?

Yeah I was. I unfortunately got addicted to GPS tracking just after I started flying rockets in '06 and got a ham ticket in '07. I endeavored like crazy to be able to track on a live map and hence went through a
pile for programs and learned a lot of jargon. For that, I apologize. Nonetheless, it's still fun to push the button, look at the map and go get it without any worry, muss or fuss. Can't see the rocket or the main chute?
Who cares as long at the positions are "beeping" in on the GPS tracker. Am not going to get into a peeing fight with the RDF crowd. That's all there was before GPS and the commercial stuff was way the heck overpriced.
Smart people who fly to extremes use more than one tracking modality to ensure recovery success. Otherwise one can waste a perfectly good day of flying trying to find a lost project. Kurt

Dafuq is a ham ticket?

SDramstad, do you know which day you are planning on launching your L2200? I am planning on being there Saturday and Sunday. I would like to see that!
Depends on the weather. If we have an iffy forecast then the soonest I can. Good forecast may wait till saturday. At this point not 100% sure I can make it. Life sometimes gets in the way.....

Amateur Radio License.

Yup. I had a fantasy of testing under the old Morse code rules but said to heck with it. Just get the license and go. I studied and got the Tech and General licenses in one sitting in '07 about a year after I starting flying rockets again. Tech is the only thing a flier needs to do ham band tracking though. I fully recommend to get a Tech license. I did the General 'cause I like the idea of being able to talk to someone in Tahiti sans phone and internet when the Radio gods are in a good mood. I think they're related to the Rocket gods with the same perverse sense of humor. "Ham ticket" is ham radio slang eg. Tech ticket, General ticket or Extra ticket. All to satisfy the requirements of the Federal Cookie Company (FCC).
If one is going to stay under 5 figure altitudes the 900Mhz stuff would serve a sport flier just fine. The exception is the Multitronix product works well at extremes on 900Mhz but is engineered to do so and has a high admission price to partake of.
Kurt

Just a heads up, we will have very few t-shirts available on site. If you want a shirt you should order it now. Again, we will have very few available for purchase at the launch.

GRIFFIN- the most important question is- will Terry Smemo be joining us again?

Registration will be closing at Midnight next Sunday (10/14/18)

All pre-registration and shirt orders need to be in by then.

Looking forward to seeing you all there.

Back