Midpower build - with LED's!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwh

Reaction score
My son and I have been working on this build for a while, as a sequel to a project we lost around this time last year.
It's a 63mm airframe built out of shipping tubes, 1.38m long and flies on an Aerotech G80-7T. The performance of this payload and dual deployment capable rocket isn't anything to right home about with an apogee of 370m - it's more meant to be a big and fun flyer,

To make it really stand out we ran strips of RGB LED's in line with the fins. The LED's are hooked up to a wifi enabled controller, so any fixed colour or a variety of effects can be applied.
They might add some drag but they sure make it look cool.

20190708_234555.jpg 20190708_234725.jpg 20190708_235023.jpg

My son and I have been working on this build for a while, as a sequel to a project we lost around this time last year.
It's a 63mm airframe built out of shipping tubes, 1.38m long and flies on an Aerotech G80-7T. The performance of this payload and dual deployment capable rocket isn't anything to right home about with an apogee of 370m - it's more meant to be a big and fun flyer,

To make it really stand out we ran strips of RGB LED's in line with the fins. The LED's are hooked up to a wifi enabled controller, so any fixed colour or a variety of effects can be applied.
They might add some drag but they sure make it look cool.

View attachment 388110 View attachment 388111 View attachment 388112
That looks awesome. I think a night launch video is in order. Good luck.

We flew our rocket last weekend for our first night launch.

The flight didn't include anything to record altitude, so I can't comment on performance. Everything turned out successful although the first ignition attempt failed with a quick burp of the engine.
An Aerotech G80-7T was used once more for this flight.

First flight, prior to the paint job and LED's:

Night launch with some filler material to start and finish:

I started building a computer sled and ejection piston for this since it is dual deployment capable, but wasn't able to finish and ground test the system in time. The 2nd parachute currently deploys via a loose fitting nose cone, this will get tightened up for later.

I'd really like to fly this build for my L1 someday, and possibly even my L2 since it should be fine up to an I class motor with a little nose weight.

Back