Midnight Express Going, going, gone.

Discussion in 'Low Power Rocketry (LPR)' started by slim_t, Oct 7, 2003.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Oct 7, 2003 #1

slim_t

slim_t

slim_t

Last Wednesday was my birthday so of course I just had to launch a rocket. I didn't have alot of time, so I grabbed my favorite yard flyer, my Fat Boy, and loaded it with a B6 to test my new homemade shroudless chute. Well since you can't launch just one, I also grabbed my Midnight Express.
    I had launched the ME on A8's 4 times before and recovered it each time. Well, since it had already lasted longer than I expected and I didn't care if I lost it, I loaded it with a B6 this time. Almost went with a C6, but thought I'd try the B first.
    The Fat Boy flew great as usual, and the chute worked great. It did however avoid all the spacious grass, and opted to land in the gravel driveway, chipping a fin.
    So now time for the ME. My yard is farely big. I can usually recover flights to 500-600' in low wind, and higher for streamers. The weather was beautiful, so I thought I might actually get the ME back. So I pushed the button, and off she went like a bolt of lightning. All I saw was smoke, then nothing, then tracking smoke, nothing, small puff, nothing, reflective streamer, alright it's right above me, coming down, might land in the yard, then going, going, gone, over the trees, oh well. :D
    But it looked like it was all still together. I have no idea how high it was, 1000' +/- 200' would be my guess.

See other pics in posts below.

slim

2. Oct 7, 2003 #2

slim_t

slim_t

slim_t

My camera takes 3 pics per second in burst mode. Here's a funny sequence. I'm not quite fast enough.
    First, the ME on a B6 at ignition.

slim

3. Oct 7, 2003 #3

slim_t

slim_t

slim_t

2nd, the ME 0.3 seconds after ignition.

slim

4. Oct 7, 2003 #4

slim_t

slim_t

slim_t

and 0.6 seconds after ignition.
    I'm quite the photographer, eh?

slim

5. Oct 7, 2003 #5

graylensman

graylensman

graylensman

Yup, that Midnight Express will tear off the pad, no matte what motor you put in!

6. Oct 7, 2003 #6

jflis

jflis

jflis

outstanding pix! That ME really does scoot doesn't it??? I've been amazed at what the ME can do on an A motor :D