Midnight Express build (paper rocket)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatdaddynerd

Reaction score
This is my first build thread on TRF. Be gentle with me, I am a BAR. I have been looking at paper micro rockets and they look really fun, but i thought i should nimble up my big meaty paws with a LPR prior to tackling tiny lil micros. So here it goes.
I am going to start with the free Fliskit "Midnight Express" I like the looks and it comes with a blank template that I have my three year old future modeler scribbling on as I type. On to the project...
build1.jpg

I will be using this batch of paper I picked up from Wally World for a whopping $5.88

build paper.jpg

Seems pretty straight forward and looking over the instructions I begin work on the body tube
1.jpg

It said use a table to begin rounding the paper but I found this small piece of PVC to worked just fine.

2.jpg

A bit of extra tight rolling at the edges to get a good curve at the seam

3.jpg

Then tucked it neatly away and moved on to the cone, so far so good.

4.jpg

Last edited:
As I am cutting out the cone and contemplating its assembly I realize that there will be a large white seem visible where I attach the the pieces together due to the thick mil of the card-stock.

6.jpg

To aid in the aesthetics I decided to try and use a colored pencil to blend the edge in with its surroundings (also went back and did the same to the body tube). I briefly considered using a marker but was afraid the glue would make it bleed since all i had available were washable crayola markers.

7.jpg
8.jpg

Now to glue it without getting it everywhere I will be using a toothpick for an applicator and Aleene's tacky glue to hold it all together.

9.jpg

The instructions warn that there will be a small gap at the point, and sure enough i couldn't get it to close entirely, but i ended up using a marker (specifically for the bleeding aspects) and was able to tint the glue a bit and make the point tolerable.

10.jpg11.jpg

This was quick and I didn't need to use the spare.

This is where things began to get a bit tricky for my fore mentioned meaty paws... THE FINS!!!

12.jpg

Cutting them out was straight forward and I highly recommend using a small and clear straight edge for the small bit especially when it comes to the "scoring of the lines for bending the folds!

13.jpg

More glaring white lines and more colored pencil cover-up!

14.jpg15.jpg

More fin work...

After much consideration and dry fitting, I decided that the fins would just be too flimsy and needed some support. So I measured up some toothpick bracing (toothpicks are becoming a rare commodity around my house with this build) and the shape of them gives a nice airfoil support if you put the pointy end at the leading edge. I measured to make sure i put them all in the same spot so as to get the best uniformity.

16.jpg17.jpg18.jpg

They went together quite nicely. A word of advice tho, these fins are still rather weak and that root edge is vital to keep clean. I suggest leaving a bit more of the root intact, the plans have you cut off about 1.5 cm from the root but I would leave almost all of it if i do this again. Also I glued one edge at a time starting with the root edge to make sure it was flat and easy to glue to the body (the destructions say to glue them all at once). Overall they were much easier than I first expected. So, same process X2 more times and...

19.jpg

Then the launch lug. It was a bit more tricky to get the curve started. When I get around to building my sons scribbled version of this rocket I will start the curve setting while it is still on the full sheet of card-stock. I rolled it tight but left it a little loose on the 1/8" dowel to compensate for any deformation that may take place when i smash it to the BT.

21.jpg

Gluing the body tube was easy making use of some engine casings as a guide.

23.jpg

After it set in I moved on to the motor block.

25.jpg

This time i set the curve while it was still in the sheet. Not as big a deal tho since the curve went long wise and not across like the LL. Installation was easy as well. I am really enjoying this fast little build. Already looking forward to doing another.

24.jpg

26.jpg

Time for the fins...

27.jpg

they were a bit tricky but i got them all on. hope to fly her tomorrow. Recovery system and Finished pics soon to follow.

Looking good. The fins do not need any reinforcement. I have a 2X upscale of the Midnight Express that just uses the fins "as is" and it works just fine.

took it to NARHAMS launch today, despite the rain which did a tie-dye number to the printed paint scheme, the paper rocket lasted well through 3 flights and with some minor repair will fly again.
flight one weather cocked and went straight towards the only relatively close tree line but stopped short of the trees by 2 feet
flight two (now with more clay in the nose) flew straight as an arrow and went out of sight. poor deployment probably due to the fact that the engine wasnt tight enough. recovered with slight damage to one fin.
flight three (after an attempted CA glue repair job) slight cork screw and a tiny wobble towards the end of the thrust, but very good altitude, full streamer deployment since i added enough tape to the motor, and a very nice soft landing.
Overall i would say it was a very fun little experiment and i will definitely be building more of these. my kids just loved them (i built two). On a b6-4 they just barely went out of sight and gave the kids that moment of panic "oh no i lost sight of it" only to reappear quickly to shouts of excited " I SEE IT!!! I SEE IT!!!"s and scrambling to recover. Super quick build great performance. DEFINITELY the most fun i have ever had from a single piece of paper and a bit of glue!

Last edited:
Glad you've enjoyed the Midnight Express :). There've been upscales, and down scales (all the way down to micro) and even multi staged versions. Very versatile and the price is right! :)

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

Glad you've enjoyed the Midnight Express :). There've been upscales, and down scales (all the way down to micro) and even multi staged versions. Very versatile and the price is right! :)
It was an absolute HOOT! Very well thought out little rocket! It also served its purpose as i am now hooked on fliskits rockets! I will be making fleet orders soon! there are so many awesome kits on that site! I am also looking forward to any new freebies!

Proves you don't have to spend big bucks to have fun.
Looks great.

You are very correct! at less than a penny cost per item used (paper sheet, shock cord, caution tape streamer, and maybe $0.03 worth of glue) I literally had a fun flyable rocket for a nickel!!!!

Last edited:
Back