mid powered spool

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerbs4me

Reaction score
I can't get enough of spools, my 18mm spool flys great, now its time to go bigger, my new spool has a 24mm mmt, it uses CD's and the tube is 6"long, would that lenth be good enough? first flight will be on a D12, then I'll throw in a F24:)

Oh Cool we need pics of that heres one of my spools it was just a wire spool

Originally posted by gerbs4me
I can't get enough of spools, my 18mm spool flys great, now its time to go bigger, my new spool has a 24mm mmt, it uses CD's and the tube is 6"long, would that lenth be good enough? first flight will be on a D12, then I'll throw in a F24:)

gerbs,

Check out this thread first: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4126

I wouldn't consider it a wise idea to stress a pair of CDs under the thrust load of an F24... I really don't think they'd handle the stress. If you want to "build" a spool for that motor, visit the electrical department of your local home improvement store & ask if you can have some of their empty wire spools. Take them home & widen the center hole with a Dremel & epoxy a tube into place. See my Live Wire review on EMRR for more information. Those buggers could easily take a F24!

Also, I have found (through experimentation) that the optimal length for a spool is less than or equal to the diameter of the disks--in other words, expect a noticable performance hit with a 6" tube when used with standard (~4.75" dia) CDs. It will still work & be stable with the longer tube though. For best results, shorten that tube.

SPOOLS RULE! :D

HTH,

Gerbs,

You've never seen my 12" spool fly at TQC? I flew it a lot last year.

It likes the Pro38 I212....

I've got a few unused wire spools at home in the garage. With a little Dremel work a 54mm MMT would just fit. Not sure about recovery on them, though. If you'd like I'll bring one with me sometime and you can have it. Better that it fly than hang in my roof trusses!

BHP

F24's would indeed be a little to much, an D15 or a E11 would be cool though:)

BHP=I think I seen it fly once or twice, you'd let me have a spool rocket? sweet, I'd love to have another spool to add to my fleet

Back