MicroMaxx heads up

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoBang

Reaction score
For all MicroMaxx devotees...our local Toys R Us has all their current MM starter sets priced at 4.95. No, this is not a typo: they're 4.95. Spotted were the Saturn V and Space Shuttle set, the Space Transport and Flying Saucer set, the Cruise Missile and SR 71 set, and the Vector 1 and Raw Fusion set. All 4.95 each. I may pick up a few to give as door prizes at the combo MC2-HARA launch in October.

Yowza!! I saw the sets at ToysRUs last Friday, but saw no prices on the shelf. I might have to go get one!

I'd definitely grab a few, if just for the extra controllers. Unfortunately, they don't carry MMX in the stores around here.

You are right GoBang - I picked up my first MicroMaxx set and did a dusk launch in my backyard last night in Chicago!
Saturn V really took off and returned safely a few feet from the pad! Might have to go get the others...its a deal!

:D

Originally posted by GoBang
For all MicroMaxx devotees...our local Toys R Us has all their current MM starter sets priced at 4.95. No, this is not a typo: they're 4.95.
I snagged four sets right away. Kept the SR71/Tomahawk and Space Fighter/Flying Saucer for us and will donate the other two to the RCBO or Tennessee Thunder or whatever it ends up being called. Might pick up one or two more to take to Manchester this weekend to give away just for fun.

Now then. I am considering ways to improve recovery on the piston recovery models using a kevlar cord (yep Andy, I did business with Russ at the Thread Exchange...need any 400 grade kevlar?) and old fashioned nose-blow recovery. Seems to me the mylar streamer is kinda pointless for anything but visibility but we'll have to see how well it works. Anything's got to be better than those stinkin' pistons.

Incidentally, of all the models we've flown thus far--and that's all the ones Quest currently sells!--the Flying Saucer doth rock the hardest. No, it's not a high flyer but that's not the point anyway. And shot at dusk...holy frijole! The sparks! The flame (itty-bitty, but flame nonetheless!) And the ejection sparks out the top...BOFFO! SOCKO!

Awesome! I just found a Toys R Us locally that has the MicroMaxx kits and picked up 4 of them for 5 bucks each. They have 5 left and I'm thinking of snatching those up too. Only bad part is they didn't have any of the SR-71/Tomahawk sets. I got two of the Saturn V/Shuttle sets, one UFO/Spacefighter set and one of the "regular" rocket sets (I forget the names). Also was lucky enough to get the RTF Jinx, the Cruise missile and a MiniMarz Lander for 5 bucks too. All their rocketry stuff seems to be on clearance...

I was busy on my lunch hour :)

My local TRU must not carry Micro Maxx. I've looked there before, and found nothing. Are they kept by the Estes stuff at the ones that do carry them?

Do they have motors as well? If so how much?
I need to check this out

(1st post:) )

there are some really cool micromaxx rockets.

the "Vector" set - long orange and long purple 4fnc - really blast!! watch out because you will lose them!

the shuttle and saturn V set is waaay cool.

best of all, there is a Little Joe II (Apollo) micromaxx set. the one at the hobby shop was listed at $15. oh man, if I could get one for $5!!

Originally posted by Pyro Pro
Do they have motors as well? If so how much?
I need to check this out
No separately packaged MM motors, unfortunately. But the starter sets come with six, or in one of mine, twelve. A sweet mistake, that. Believe it or not, our local WallyWorld did have some. Not any more though, I snagged them all.

Oh, the same "Oys 'R Tus" did however have Estes Blast Off packs for 24.95. Not bad.

You guy's can get all the motors you want directly from Quest or through any of many hobby outlets on line or special ordered from you favorite brick and mortor hobby shops. Pratt Hobbies is now a micro maxx vendor and is in the process of cobbling some new simple kits. one called the firefly will incorporate a small fishing bobber size cylume, for FAA waivered night launches... remember model rockets don't fly after sunset...not dark... let's not screw up a good thing:)

Micro,
now that valueland is gone who has the best deals on micro maxx motors?

also how do I tell the difference in the 2 different types.(impulse)
does it say on the package? in other words how do I know what I'm ordering ..some sites just say" micromax motors"

Stymye:
I've only bought motors directly from Quest, by the case (12pks) or thourgh two local brick and mortor stores on special order.
Our club bought a bulk 5 case order from our favorite hobby shop and got the price per pack under 5.00 INCLUDING shipping. I would suggest this if you can. Pratt hobbies usually has a fair price, A2z hobbies on-line has MM-II's for 5.95/pk, eHobbies has MM-II's for 5.99/pk and All Hobbies has MM-II's for 6.99/pk just to show you guys the range. but don't just look at the cost per pack.. the Shipping is a real killer.. 20.00 minimium regardless of quantity. 1- 6 pk of MM-IIs shipping is 20.00, so was our 5 case order! I was told by Quest the they can ship up to 20 cases in a single carton under that 20.00 shipping haz-mat fee.

Ok the original 1/8A .21n/sec motors with 1.0 sec delays are packaged in 8 motor packs in this country the stock number is #5662.
the newer 1/4A .35n/sec motors with .5sec delays are packaged in 6 motor packs with the stock number #5663

I like having both motors for a couple of reasons. the longer delay is better then the higher thrust on many of the very light weight models 2 to 8grams, the higher thrust motor with shorter delay is great for the "Heavier" micro's 12 to 17grams, or for clustering larger body models. My latest night flying Micor cluster is a 4 motor, 4 Led illuminated "Ranger" Bt-20 bodied DownScale. Man that was a mouthful :) It's so new I don't even have pictures of it yet. but it's ready to fly Saturday night at our clubs annual FAA waivered Night Launch:D:D:D

Thanks for the info John!!

that clears up alot of questions I've had..!

I have the Sat V but it is a terrible flyer ...I have 3 more micro scratch builts, Including the comanchee 3 (it's a 2 motor cluster)
that does not actually seperate.

I'm going to the local toys R us today ,,to see what they have

Originally posted by stymye
I'm going to the local toys R us today ,,to see what they have
Not if I get there first...:D Hey, I've got to have something to fly if MC2 really is through for the year...and I still don't have the Space Shuttle...

Originally posted by Micromister
remember model rockets don't fly after sunset...not dark... let's not screw up a good thing:)
Ah, but dusk and sunset are two different things. I would never consider a launch after dark, not even with a Super Nova Payloader carrying four or five cyalumes... :D

Gobang:
I don't want to anger anyone by splitting hairs. Here's the definition given to me by FAA along with our very first Waiver in 1996
" Sunset is defined as: The moment the sun falls below the Visible horizon." unless I have totally missed the meaning of Dusk, twilight, Etc. they all occur AFTER sunset. Just to keep things in perspective:)

OBTW Cylume sticks are fine for Micro-Maxx,A and B motor Night flight.. We have found they don't quite cut it for C and about models. Again FAA issued the required minimum of 2000mcds Visibility at 2000'. You really need to do so kind of powered Night illumination Tracking equipment (NITE) system for short. Sorta like my Upscale nova payloader II (4 D12 cluster):)

Stymye:
to correct the flying of your stock micro saturn-V add 4 small triangular addtions to the fins, I used the clear plastic material from the front of the starter set box to fix mine, I think I have a pic that will show them. This model flys straight as an arrow.
Hope this helps

Originally posted by Micromister
I don't want to anger anyone by splitting hairs.
Especially mine! It's make me look twice as gray!

But seriously, no, I wouldn't seriously consider flying after dark unless it was sanctioned in some way. Someday, I shall.

Now having said that, I will continue to fly my itty-bitty Quest (soon to be joined by others, I'm sure) saucer on MMXs...at dusk...with the sun just peeping enough over the horizon to qualify as daylight...!

I'll add some extentions to the sat V fins ..thanks for the tip John!

Originally posted by GoBang

Now having said that, I will continue to fly my itty-bitty Quest (soon to be joined by others, I'm sure) saucer on MMXs...at dusk...with the sun just peeping enough over the horizon to qualify as daylight...!

Then I invite you to check out our free download of MMX saucers at: https://fliskits.com/products/free_stuff.htm

Bottom of the page, the Persephone, Athena and Odysseus. They're great little fliers! :)

jim

You guys have finally gotten to me, I went in to the local TRU and bought a bunch of this mini-stuff. If it stops raining, we'll see how they fly!

While there, I talked to the store manager for a couple minutes. He confirmed that TRU (the entire chain) is DISCONTINUING their line of model rocket stuff. Also, most of their other model kits. I thanked him for the 'clearance' prices, but pointed out that their marked-down price on Estes motors was still higher than brand X. He told me that there would be further mark-downs in the coming weeks, so check back.

That leaves me with the question, do I buy up his remaining flight packs NOW, or wait to see how much more they get marked down (and take a chance on someone else getting 'em)?

Originally posted by jflis
Then I invite you to check out our free download of MMX saucers at: https://fliskits.com/products/free_stuff.htm
Jim Flis, you rock. Being as my launch field appears to be shut down for the year (David, Andy, you guys got any ideas?) I reckon I will have plenty of time for building projects...

...aw, but it's too pretty outside NOT to fly... (sigh)

I found some MMX sets at the local TRU. They were not with the other rockets, but in a special clearence bin on the other side of the store. I had not considered MMX much before this, but with the sale it is worth a try.
I have some MMX questions. What do you folks use as scratch built MMX launch lugs? How about a field expedient motor tube? I am not sure I want to order tube for that just yet. What vendors have the best motor prices?

I burned alot of gas today for nothing ....LOL
I went to the closest TRU today ..the rocket section was about 2 by 3 feet ..no micro max,,, no motors ..just a few well overpopulated starter sets..and 2 launchable Fat Boys...than I went by
Michaels craft store

any rockets or engines ... no .nothing..they don't even carry anything rocket related

this area sucks!!!!!!!!!!..I have not seen 1 single new estes kit in the whole area....not at walmart ..not at hobby lobby. toys R us.

the only strictly Hobby store in the entire 25 mile radius is Hobby town usa
..well I bought out the entire aerotech motor stock that they had,,, it consisted of 2 packs of B6-2 reloads

..they never were certified back in the 80's ... ..they had so much dust on them I couldn't read the package markings ..!!

Believe me ..I've asked people at all of these stores many times to look in to stocking a little more model rocketry items..

things have definately changed over the last few yrs....

theres always decient online deals ..thank goodness

We just went to TRU today and picked up a couple sets of MMX, flew the saucer 3 times today. Do they carry the motors? I don't want to have to buy a shuttle and Saturn V every time I want motors:p .

NO TRU doesn't stock motors anymore. We'll have to wait to see how Bill "Quest" Stine will be marketing the New line of Micro's & motors after the Toy biz smoke clears...
For now your best bet is to buy motors either as a special order through your favorite brick and mortar Hobby shop or on line an one of the better businesses. A2Z hobbies has MM-II #5663 motors for 5.95/6pk. Some others on-line stores sell the same 6pk of motors for $6.99. But be aware..Don't just look at the Price of the motor 6pack. One(1) - 6pk of MM-II motors will cost you $20.00 Haz-Mat shipping. I alway buy my micro motors by the case (12 6pks) or more. Several months ago Our club went in as a group to purchase a 5 case Micro-Maxx motor order placed through our favorite local hobby shop. This 5 case order still cost us the same $20.00 Haz-Mat shipping fee, but the group order reduced the overall price to under 5.00 per pack including the shipping & haz-mat fees. In talks with Quest (toy-biz) at the time, I was told we could purchase, box and ship up to 20 cases of Micro-Maxx motors under that same $20.00 shipping Haz-Mat Fee. In sort; if you can place an order either directly with Quest or througt a local hobby shop, or a discount on-line hobby shop in bulk you and all your Micro-Maxxing buddies can save a bunch on money on replacement motors..

Oh one more thing: Unlike the AP motors...BP motors can last in storage a very only time... as long as you don't heat cycle them. I routinely use (fly) Estes BP motors I purchased back in the 60's and 70's:D...So don't worry about them going bad if you have your micro motors around for a year or two:D Matt Steel did a study on the degrading of BP and AP motors about 4 years back, that confirmed my theory, of proper storage will allow BP motors to suffer no more than trace amounts of degradation even after extended periods in storage, or Age 20years plus.. the only problems seen were the clay caps sometime hardened to the point a small X needed to be scratched in before launch to make sure the clay would break.
Hope this helps a little

Originally posted by stymye
I burned alot of gas today for nothing ....LOL
I went to the closest TRU today ..the rocket section was about 2 by 3 feet ..no micro max,,, no motors ..just a few well overpopulated starter sets..and 2 launchable Fat Boys...than I went by
Michaels craft store
Try the TRU in Bellevue...last time I went by there (last week) there were still half a dozen or so MMX starter sets. I'll run by there tonight and check and PM you and let you know.

Latest posts

Back