MicroMaxx Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the Excelsior Rocketry Cherokee D MMX downscale. Minimum diameter with basswood fins and water slide decals.

With your permission, I'd like to copy both of your posts to the respective threads of their prototypes.

This is the Excelsior Rocketry Der Red Max mmx downscale. BT-5 based with nice long nose cone, basswood fins and water slide decals.

I used some old cheap gloss coat which didn't level well and ended up with what looked like hail damage :( I've wet sanded with 1000 & 6000 grit paper and now just need to polish it back up again.

Please mind the "nicht stompen" notice.

derredmax.jpg

Last edited:
This is the Excelsior Rocketry Cherokee D MMX downscale. Minimum diameter with basswood fins and water slide decals.

Kruland:
Good Looking Model bud! but what do you mean "Minimum Diameter" looks to me like the model is at least A T3 (.375" body, or T4 .448"dia. with T2+ (.281") Minimum diameter motor tube sticking out the back. To be considered a Minimum Diameter model the Main body would have to be the Motor size..not larger.

Once we Downscale a model like this it's no longer a Cherokee-D.....it's a Cherokee-Whatever motor you using.. in this case it'd be a Cherokee-1/8A. Which is what I call mine as well;) ever though it's a T4 (.448") model it flying on 1/8A.5-1 (MMX-II) or 1/8A.2-1 (MMX-I) Motors.

Great Looking T5 Goblin & Der Red Max as well.

MM 230a-sm_Cherokee-8thA_08-29-00.jpg

Last edited:
Kruland:
Good Looking Model bud! but what do you mean "Minimum Diameter" looks to me like the model is at least A T3 (.375" body, or T4 .448"dia. with T2+ (.281") Minimum diameter motor tube sticking out the back. To be considered a Minimum Diameter model the Main body would have to be the Motor size..not larger.

Argh! you are right, it is T4. I wasn't thinking. As you can tell, I didn't get the red cone right. I might go back and paint that since it really makes the model.

And extra bats please.:wink:

Nice job!

Thanks. They were a blast to put together. I fussed as much as I could to get the paint nice and smooth.

The extra bats were done at the advice of my 5 year old. You included them on the sheet, they should go to use, no?

Couple more Micro Flight Photos for your viewing.
The Club held a second Launch last weekend but I haven't had a change to even look at what I did and didn't catch..
These are still from our 11-19-11 Sport launch.

After 4 flights I' finally got the nose weight right and got a very decent 35feet flight out of the downscale. it is a Hoot to see zip off the pad.

MM 298Lp04a_Micro Missile Toe reweighted & ready_11-19-11.jpg

MM 298Lp04c_Micro Missile Toe Countdown_11-19-11.jpg

MM 298Lp04d_Micro Missile toe Liftoff_11-19-11.jpg

While we were at it, I added a full 1g of nose weight to last months not so successful MM Airborne Surveillance Missile. Had the better 2/3rds Hook it up this time jusr for luck. Happy to say the nose weight fixed the stablility problem giving a fairly decent 25-35ft arrow straight flight.

MM 372Lp02a_MM AirborneSurveillanceMissile Re-Wt_11-19-11.jpg

MM 372Lp02b_MM AirborneSurveillanceMissile loading_11-19-11.jpg

MM 372Lp02c_MM AirborneSurveillanceMissile Ct down_11-19-11.jpg

MM 372Lp02d_MM AirborneSurveillanceMissile Liftoff_11-19-11.jpg

Latest addition to my Micro Maxx fleet is this 2 motor PMC.
Pretty interesting ducted ejection 2 motor conversion. The complete build thread is in TRF micro maxx forum.
The model Should Scoot on a Pair of MMX-II motors even at 19grams.
Hopefully I'll be able to get a flight or liftoff pic soon.

MM 384uc10_Check air passsage to NC_01-17-12.JPG

Attachments

• MM 384uc18b_F-15A Eagle Topright Finished_02-18-12.jpg
    MM 384uc18b_F-15A Eagle Topright Finished_02-18-12.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 33
  • MM 384uc18c_F-15A Eagle Topleft Finished_02-18-12.jpg
    MM 384uc18c_F-15A Eagle Topleft Finished_02-18-12.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 34
  • MM 384uc18d_F-15A Eagle Right Side Finished_02-18-12.jpg
    MM 384uc18d_F-15A Eagle Right Side Finished_02-18-12.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 35
  • MM 384uc18e_F-15A Eagle Bottom Finished_02-18-12.jpg
    MM 384uc18e_F-15A Eagle Bottom Finished_02-18-12.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 36
This is just a fun build regardless of how it's approached.

With Fliskits Adding a true T3 downscale of Estes PNC-80K plastic nosecone to the Micro To the Maxx inventory... it's even easier:)

MM 385uc01a_MM Optima (QuestMMX2.392in x 6.8125in)_01-26-12.jpg

Attachments

• MM 385a_MM Optima (T3)_02-28-12.jpg
    MM 385a_MM Optima (T3)_02-28-12.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 36
Here is the latest addition to my micro fleet: a Fliskits Dead Ringer. What a fun little kit.

I had some fun with doing this metalflake finish. The photos don't do it justice.

6819811938_6dcb9d0b6d_b.jpg

Last edited:
Very very nice Metal flake Lawence!
Great looking DR.
Still wish Jim had chosen another name....everytime I hear it I'm looking for the earlier other model.

Both are super nifty looking models..

Still can't touch my down Scaled "Dwindeled" Dead Ringer without screwing up the Chrome paint. White cotton gloves before and after flights are the only way I'm keeping it shinny:(.

MM 366p01_MM Flis Dead Ringer_03-30-10.jpg

Doh!
Been a little lax in keeping up with Newly built or converted Micros.
The Phoenix has been on the boards for a couple years but I just had not taken the time to turn a Micro PNC-80K downscale nosecone.
Taking with Jim Flis in the MMX section here on TRF this T3 down Scale NC need was expressed and low and behold Jim had them made and in stock almost instantly! Wow Thanks so much Mr Flis:) Fliskits now has this NC shape in BT-5 size as well.

Anyway with a Brand New T3 Balsa Nosecone in hand I had No excuse putting it off any longer. This 6.933 Scale project was to take shape very quickly.

Decided to used 3/64" Lite Ply for the fins and strakes to keep the mass down with a thinner stiffer material then basswood. Beveling these parts did take a bit more sanding but I think the extra stiffness give this little model better flight performance the Estes BT-80 offering.

OH man is this little jewel quick off the pad. Sorry but these are the best shots I got from the burst. just at ignition and then she was gone! Thank goodness for the little 1/2" x 10" yellow teflon streamer which was picked up as the model returned from its very high flight.

MM 386a1a_Micro Phoenix (T3) 6.933 Scale_04-18-12.jpg

MM 386Lp01a_Phoenix AIM-54 On Pad_04-21-12.jpg

MM 386Lp01b_Phoenix (T3) At Ignition_04-21-12.JPG

One of the reasons my Micro model building has taken a bit of a back seat the last few months is I've been re-bitten by the PMC bug.

I've been collecting what I hoped would be decent Mod-Roc and Micro PMC conversions for the last couple years as they came out.
I've been fun flying at 130th Scale X15 for a few years now. Another Maxxer suggested I take a second look at Dragon Models 1:144th Scale X15 which I though would not be quite big enough for MMX. I was wrong! it's PERFECT for micro-max conversion and the detailing on these Little models is supurb!

I just finished converting an F-15 Eagle twin motor micro cluster that is a real hoot to fly.
So I had to try an F-14 tomcat dual motor as well. This one created a few different construction problems with it's variable wing configuration which dictated using a recovery method i'm not all that thrilled with that is "Intake ejection" where this models dual 1/2" x 10" teflon streamers are blow out the Jet intakes. This can cause fowling but I'm hoping since we're using streamers rather then Chutes it won't be as large a gamble.
Because the F-14 is a larger plane she is also a little piggy after getting enough nose weight in to move the CG forward for a decent static margin. We'll have to see if this model will get out of its own way or just hang on the launch rod. I am concerned with a LOWt over 24g.....even with 2 motors.

Next on the list was a tiny F20 TigerShark. Being a very small aircraft this too created some recovery challenges. After much inner debate I decided to up the bodytube size to T2++ (.316" OD) to allow a rear ejecting T2+ (.281"OD) motor pod with a Drag-out 1/2" x 10" teflon streamer. This arrangement has worked well in the past as long as the streamer is not crushed in to tightly....which may mean a) shortening the 70lb kevlar shockline or b) lopping off a couple inches of streamer. Won't really have an answer on this question until launch day.

Three other 1:144th scale PMC micros in the works are an F1C Marage and F35 Lighting JSF which are in the paint shop at the moment and an F-22 Raptor that i'm struggling with trying to get twin motors in without removing much or all of the Anti-Radar motor Exhaust outlets. This is a Very nice looking model I do not want to tare up the aft end of.

There is also a standard materials Exocet MM-39 Scale in the beginnings of coming together in T3 scale.

Attachments

• MM 387p01a_X-15d 144th PMC_04-24-12.jpg
    MM 387p01a_X-15d 144th PMC_04-24-12.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 36
  • MM 388p01d_F-14A Tomcat 144th PMC 2-Pic_04-24-12.jpg
    MM 388p01d_F-14A Tomcat 144th PMC 2-Pic_04-24-12.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 32
  • MM 389a3_F-20 TigerShark 144th 2-Pic_05-05-12.JPG
    MM 389a3_F-20 TigerShark 144th 2-Pic_05-05-12.JPG
    374.1 KB · Views: 31
  • MM 390uc04a_Marage F1C & weapons_06-09-12.JPG
    MM 390uc04a_Marage F1C & weapons_06-09-12.JPG
    338.4 KB · Views: 32
Thanks Gary. This was the first time I've done that "ragged" style of camouflage. Perhaps doing it for the first time on a micro was not the best idea

This "beast" tips the scales at 5.3 grams, fully loaded.

A great weight for MMX's. You should get a really good flight from that one.

Well golly! Ya'll made me feel like I wasn't putting my 2 cents worth in so here is a pic of my entire MMX fleet. There's only 1 in this little bunch that you will recognize and it's the MM38 Exocet. Which btw is the ONLY one that sky writes. The rest are of my design and flew quite well. From left to right we have Teeny Bit sitting on the pad which is designed to perch on top of an Estes launch pad or my tripod. It has an adjustable cloths pin that slides up or down on a sandpaper stick (for friction grip). Next is Zig Zag, then there's Pink Slime (little cousin to the Green Slime....long story) then there's Talon (the reason for the adjustable cloths pin) then of course is the Exocet. The blue and silver job never got a name or I just don't remember it. Then there is a Goony Faddle and a standard but micro version of Fiddle Faddle. Up front on the left was the 1st one I ever built called XLR8, and last but not least is the famous Starship Excalibur. Love that rocket. All nose cones were turned on a mini lathe except for the one on Goony Faddle.

EDIT: My bad, I did not design the Excalibur!!!

DSCF3528.JPG

Back