MicroMaxx engines in Canada

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidInNS

Reaction score
Tried a few different ways to google search. Found nowhere in Canada that sells them. Can anyone help?

Ever since I saw that thread with the mosquito using micromaxx engines, I've been intrigued.

Tried a few different ways to google search. Found nowhere in Canada that sells them. Can anyone help?

Ever since I saw that thread with the mosquito using micromaxx engines, I've been intrigued.

Contact Quest Areospace, Inc. Service dept. www.questaerospace.com Phone No.1-800-686-4302.
Ask if they can ship MMX-II motors to Canada? Cat # is 5663. six packs. I'd really suggest the purchase of at least a full 12- 6pk case... You'll like them that much;)

Hope this helps... I have a bunch of MMX flyer friends in France that are having the same problem... Getting motors that is.

Contact Quest Areospace, Inc. Service dept. www.questaerospace.com Phone No.1-800-686-4302.
Ask if they can ship MMX-II motors to Canada?...

I remember The Source selling MMX kits and motors in a neat looking, diamond plate sticker covered silo/cylindrical package that held everything you needed to fly. The ignitors were small plastic glow plugs and they locked into the launcher base that was powered by a 9volt.

A quick check of NRCan - ERD list of approved Quest products includes;
A6-4, B6-4, C6-7 and Tiger Tail Igniters. No MMX!

If I understand the ERD rules, no approval mean not able to import as private citizen. If they were on the list you can bring in 6 for personal use.
Good luck finding them in Canada.

I remember The Source selling MMX kits and motors in a neat looking, diamond plate sticker covered silo/cylindrical package that held everything you needed to fly.

I didn't see that when I was in the store last, but then again every time they try to shove a cellphone on me so I get somewhat distracted.

A quick check of NRCan - ERD list of approved Quest products includes;
A6-4, B6-4, C6-7 and Tiger Tail Igniters. No MMX!

If I understand the ERD rules, no approval mean not able to import as private citizen.

you are correct. I didn't realize something like this wouldn't be on the NRC/ERD list. bummer...

Shoot a message to Angelo at Sunward, he might have something there. Otherwise, I have a contact who brought in some Quest Q2G2 igniters for me (which are a lot tougher to get in then you'd think). PM me with the motors and I can reach out to my contact.

... Ask if they can ship MMX-II motors to Canada? ....
unless the buyer has an import permit, then they can't be shipped.

I remember The Source selling MMX kits and motors in a neat looking, ...
that I never saw. How long ago was that?

...A quick check of NRCan - ERD list of approved Quest products includes;... No MMX!

If I understand the ERD rules, no approval mean not able to import as private citizen. ....
correct.
https://www2.nrcan-rncan.gc.ca/mms/lae-lea/index.cfm?lang=eng

Shoot a message to Angelo at Sunward, ...
Can't help.

And I have not seen a market for the engines at all so it is not something I would be interested in.

...Otherwise, I have a contact who brought in some Quest Q2G2 igniters for me (which are a lot tougher to get in then you'd think). PM me with the motors and I can reach out to my contact.
Be careful. Motors are classified as explosives.

I saw them about five years ago and purchased a set for my nephew's birthday present. It came with 3 motors with glow plug ignitors and three rockets. The case opened up to make the launcher platform. It was quite the igenious setup.

Geez...Our two countries really ought to put together a free-trade agreement or something... :rolleyes:

Geez...Our two countries really ought to put together a free-trade agreement or something... :rolleyes:

You'd think!
Isn't that what NAFTA was all about?

Hey Sunward!
the reason you haven't seen a demand is you don't carry the motors. If your carring Quests other motors MMX-II's should be amoung them.

Having dealt with the Canadian Explosives Regulatory Division for many decades, the reason Quest Micromax motors or the D5's are not Authorized for import and sale is because they have not yet been submitted by Quest for Testing by the CERL labs in Ottawa.

Any appearance of MMX motors at any Canadian Hobby retailer is likely due to that hobby store moving stock from an American Hobby distributor and not specifying the exact content of the shipment, which may include plastic models, RC equipment, balsa construction material or any number of items normally seen at a brick and mortar retail shop. These shipments are generally handled by local customs brokers and may or may not be subject to inspection by Canadian Government officials.

Now I am not saying that these retailers are necessarily , and/or knowingly breaking the law, but they may be totally unaware of what specific model rocket motors are tested and allowed, and to them a Quest or Estes Model Rocket motor is just a model rocket motor.

When Estes/Quest or Aerotech wants their product available for sale, they must submit samples for testing at significant cost to them, and must comply with dual language instruction and labeling also at significant cost. So when they do the work we should be greatful and support their efforts by buying lots of product to keep them interested.

I hope that Bill Stine a Quest will ultimately get the balance of Quest motors approved including the MMX for Canadian sales, and I am also pleased to see the Estes E9, and A8-0's back on the authorized list.:)

Garth Illerbrun
CAR S04 TRA817

free trade does exist (most of the time). But this is an explosive license issue.

....Hey Sunward!
the reason you haven't seen a demand is you don't carry the motors. If your carring Quests other motors MMX-II's should be amoung them.
I am carrying Estes motors right now as my supplier has them in stock.

As for micromax, all feedback I have received from retailers for the last 7 years is they are not interested. If they were, I would carry them.

Hey Garth, the E9's have been there all along, but they're UN Class 1.4C... same class as all the Aerotech & CTI motors. All the other Estes motors are 1.4S.

My understanding is, they've always been "legal" in Canada, but the shipping requirements are too steep to be profitable. Maybe with the new "Pro Series II" stuff Estes is releasing, they'll make a push to get them re-classed or something...

As for micromax, all feedback I have received from retailers for the last 7 years is they are not interested. If they were, I would carry them.

Well, OK, here's an idea. If you're a Canadian (first nation, citizen, landed immigrant, visiting alien, maple syrup swilling wannabe, etc.), and you'd like to see MMX motors fully approved and available for sale here in Canada, reply to this thread and state your views. Then let those who could help in that process know how you feel. With any luck, we could have MMX powered rockets tearing off towards the Northern Lights in no time!

Well, one can always hope, right?:blush:

I used to live up north. The northern lights are amazing.

heh, i jacked my own thread lol...

But seriously, id love to see the micromaxx engines here. they would be fun to try!

Just got my first order of Micro Model kits from FlisKits this week -- a "Buck Shot" and a "Big Honkin' Rocket" (actually three of them). Amazing little rockets!!:clap:

Now I just need some free-trade-agreed-to MicroMaxx motors to load into them with my frostbitten Canuckian fingers!;)

free trade does exist (most of the time). But this is an explosive license issue.
Ah, I see. Garth's explanation of the issue was very informative.

Got any snow yet? We are expecting it any day now. The peaks have already been dusted.

Hi Kevin!

The E9's first appeared in Canada around 2000, remember the old White poopy clay nozzles? I think they were originally classed as 1.4C. Then ERD classed them as 1.3C which of course is High Power or 7.2.5 Class in Canada, that is when Estes withdrew them from sale in Canada, due to the very high shipping cost. I guess some work had taken place in the interim as they now are back as 1.4C so are easily shippable and now freely available at the local Hobby retailers. This is great because they are awesome in clusters.

Hey Garth, the E9's have been there all along, but they're UN Class 1.4C... same class as all the Aerotech & CTI motors. All the other Estes motors are 1.4S.

My understanding is, they've always been "legal" in Canada, but the shipping requirements are too steep to be profitable. Maybe with the new "Pro Series II" stuff Estes is releasing, they'll make a push to get them re-classed or something...

I expect the Pro Series II will just be grandfathered in as they are essentially stock Aerotech motors , just relabeled. I bet all Estes will have to do is comply with the dual language requirements. Guess we will wait and see.

Garth Illerbrun

Mark ,

No snow in Calgary yet, still sunny....but it's coming. I can see the snow capped Rocky mountains looking out my office window in downtown Calgary, and the snow level is dropping, probably around the 5000 ft level. Calgary is at 3500 ft ASL. The Farmers Almanac is calling for a protracted and colddd winter. Perfect for building :wink:

Garth Illerbrun

Ah, I see. Garth's explanation of the issue was very informative.

Got any snow yet? We are expecting it any day now. The peaks have already been dusted.

Hi Kevin!

The E9's first appeared in Canada around 2000, remember the old White poopy clay nozzles? I think they were originally classed as 1.4C. Then ERD classed them as 1.3C which of course is High Power or 7.2.5 Class in Canada, that is when Estes withdrew them from sale in Canada, due to the very high shipping cost. I guess some work had taken place in the interim as they now are back as 1.4C so are easily shippable and now freely available at the local Hobby retailers. This is great because they are awesome in clusters.

I expect the Pro Series II will just be grandfathered in as they are essentially stock Aerotech motors , just relabeled. I bet all Estes will have to do is comply with the dual language requirements. Guess we will wait and see.

Garth Illerbrun
I think I still have a couple of the old E9's in my motor box. Totally agree, they are great cluster motors! Will be happy to get my paws on more :)

Thought I'd heard something about Estes planning some other new motors, maybe BP? Fuzzy memory... anyway, more motors is always a good thing!

Garth Illerbrun
The labeling on current Estes motor packs is tri-lingual (English, French, German), and they contain separate warnings that are specific to the United States, Canada, the UK and Germany. I imagine that the Pro Series II motors will be similarly labeled.

I think I still have a couple of the old E9's in my motor box. Totally agree, they are great cluster motors! Will be happy to get my paws on more :)

Thought I'd heard something about Estes planning some other new motors, maybe BP? Fuzzy memory... anyway, more motors is always a good thing!

E12

I'm reviving a 10-year old thread... wacky I know.

MMX motors are still unavailable in Canada - I ordered from one retailer who had them on his website. He ordered them along with another large order from Aerotech. But the customs agent spied them and refused them. He probably looked at them and thought they were firecrackers which have been illegal in Canada since the '70s.

Back