microballons

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjp

Reaction score
What are they and when do you need them.Also what type are best for model rockets?I read that 3M makes some but don't know which one of theres works best for rocket use.They offer different ones.

Great link!

Microballoons are mixed into epoxy to lower its density, thicken its consistency and make the fully cured result easy to sand smooth. All of these qualities make it a very popular additive to epoxy when you are making fin fillets. Be aware that the stuff is very fine and will go everywhere if you are not careful with it. I use the tip of a craft stick to pick up small quantities of it to drop into my epoxy mix; I repeat the process until I have added as much as I want. I keep the container (it comes in small cans) capped unless I am actually spooning some of it out. I do this so that I won't spill it or accidentally drop anything into it. I also wear goggles and a face mask when I sand the cured mixture, because I don't want to breathe in any of the dust or get any of it into my eyes.

MarkII

I also wear goggles and a face mask when I sand the cured mixture, because I don't want to breathe in any of the dust or get any of it into my eyes.

A mask or respirator is actually a good idea for just about any sanding -- easier on the lungs if you don't inhale all that stuff.

-Kevin

Avoid microballons.
Use corn starch,it gives the same effect.
It's cheaper,safer, and easier to sand.

I have been using West Systems 105/205 or 206 with 406 Colloidal Silica for fillets.

With respect to fillers like micro balloons does anyone have an issue with consistency.

As much as i add the 406 a little at a time and mix, I always get lumps and chunks.
I can't seem to smooth these out. Once dry they require additional sanding.

Is the 406 the wrong stuff?

What do you do to get a smooth consistency?

I intend to keep using the West Systems products I have until they are depleted however I would change the filler for now if there is a better alternative.

Note: Alway wear some sort of respirator or mask when using this stuff. It becomes airborne and can be inhaled easily.
Protect yourself and others around you.

Wm.

Last edited:
My experience with corn starch is that it makes it harder to sand, not easier. Works well to thicken, but not fun to sand. Microballoons, on the other hand, are easy to sand.

Colloidal silica and fumed silica, if you use much of either, will result in lumpiness, in my experience.

-Kevin

Back