Micro to the MAXX at FlisKits!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jflis

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Well, it was bound to happen... :)

In the coming months you will begin to hear and see the beginnings of a new set of offerings from FlisKits. Namely our entry into the world of Micro-Max! This will be followed by the announcement of 4-5 new kits based on these small micro max motors by Quest Aerospace. Look for our ad in the July/August issue of Sport Rocketry!

The models currently being reviewed for release include:

- Teeny Triskelion
- Petite Praetor
- Ulysses
- Intergalactic Man of Space
- Diminutive Deuce

I will post pictures of all of these models later today.

In addition to these kits, FlisKits will announce a whole family of parts and accessories. These will include Body Tubes, Nose Cones, Launch Lugs, Adapters, Nose Blocks, Centering Rings, Engine Mount Kits, Recovery items and more, making for one of the largest (*the* largest?) selection of micro-max based building materials in the industry! These items will be based on the BT-2 (T2), BT-2.5 (T2+), BT-3, BT-4 and BT-5

Not all items will be covered in our initial announcement, but we see this line growing by early 2006 to include

- 10-15 different nose cones!
- 5-10 different adapters!
- 3 different nose blocks!
- 10-15 different centering ring sizes
- 5-10 different body tube lengths in 4 different diameters!
- Much, much more!

As with the standard products that you have come to know and love from FlisKits, our micro line of products will consist of kits that you have to build from a set of raw materials. Using balsa nose cones and sheet stock for fins, these kits will challenge your skills with their small size and excite your senses with their big performance!

How much this line grows and expands is entirely up to you, the customer. As long as this line is successful, we will add to it, both in kits and parts.

Additional models being reviewed for eventual release include:

- Honest John
- Night Whisper
- Corona
- Tres
- Long OverDue
- A.C.M.E. Spitfire
- Stingray
- Drake
- Cougar

Suggestions and ideas for this line are always welcome!

PLEASE NOTE: We apologize, but we will not entertain suggestions to downscale or duplicate designs from other companies.

Keep watch for exciting developments concerning this pre-announcement! Great things are happening at FlisKits. Be a part of the excitement as we bring the fun back to model rocketry!

“Aim for the sky, and try not to miss!”TM

jim

SWEET!!! I'd love a MMX ACME :D One question though, what do you use as ignitors for the motors without a Quest pad (like for the Deuce)??

Quest now uses Q2 igniters which are great for clustering (as long as you don't short out the leads).

Obviously, most of the MicroMaxx II-1 motors on the store shelves still have QMX igniters in them, but you can use plain nichrome wire and any decent launch controller with either a clip whip or buss wire.

Lots of nichrome on eBay right now.....

Originally posted by karatekicker271
SWEET!!! I'd love a MMX ACME :D One question though, what do you use as ignitors for the motors without a Quest pad (like for the Deuce)??

and on that note............ I'd like to remind you that JonRocket.com still has a few of the 6 packs of micro maxx motors for the unbelievable price of only 2.85. We only have a few dozen of these left, so get them while you can. When they're gone they will return to the "standard" price.

https://www.jonrocket.com/RocketMotors.html

Now back to your regularly scheduled Fliskits thread! (sorry for the hijack, Jim)

John (not Jon) Arthur

www.JonRocket.com

Originally posted by Juaru
Now back to your regularly scheduled Fliskits thread! (sorry for the hijack, Jim)

yes. Please don't :)

As for ignition, any rocket that did was not, shall we say, "conventional" (such as the Diminutive Deuce and Intergalactic Man of Space) would include special instructions for ignition.

The new Q2 ignitors look very promising, but not required.

At this time, I use the standard Quest ignitors, but I dismantle them and install them with toothpics, as will be described in the instructions.

Now, before anyone says that modifying such ignitors is against the rules, is isn't. Only modifying motors is. :)

jim

Originally posted by jflis
Well, it was bound to happen... :)

In the coming months you will begin to hear and see the beginnings of a new set of offerings from FlisKits. Namely our entry into the world of Micro-Max! This will be followed by the announcement of 4-5 new kits based on these small micro max motors by Quest Aerospace. Look for our ad in the July/August issue of Sport Rocketry!

I received my copy of Sport Rocketry today and saw your ad on the inside front cover.

So, what can you say about the launch pad and controller?

I know that toothpicks lead to serious CATOs for the MicroMaxx I-1 motors (the hard plastic casings with the "nozz-hole"). Have you had zero CATO's with toothpicks in the MicroMaxx II-1 motors?

yes. Please don't :)

As for ignition, any rocket that did was not, shall we say, "conventional" (such as the Diminutive Deuce and Intergalactic Man of Space) would include special instructions for ignition.

The new Q2 ignitors look very promising, but not required.

At this time, I use the standard Quest ignitors, but I dismantle them and install them with toothpics, as will be described in the instructions.

Now, before anyone says that modifying such ignitors is against the rules, is isn't. Only modifying motors is. :)

jim

Originally posted by Initiator001
I received my copy of Sport Rocketry today and saw your ad on the inside front cover.

So, what can you say about the launch pad and controller?

I'll create a separate thread about the pad and controller shortly :)

jim

Originally posted by shreadvector
I know that toothpicks lead to serious CATOs for the MicroMaxx I-1 motors (the hard plastic casings with the "nozz-hole"). Have you had zero CATO's with toothpicks in the MicroMaxx II-1 motors?

I had heard that too, regarding the MMX-I motors, but i'm 100% success to date with the MMX-II motors and toothpicks. I got the technique from Bill Spadafora (CMASS) and I have launched the Diminutive Deuce about 8 times wihtout failure, each of the other micro models once and I've seen Bill and a few other CMASS folks do this repeatedly with 100% success, clusters and all.

Also, while I was out at NERRF I saw a MicroMax competitor with his glider rigged this way and he expressed that he had never had a failure.

so...

:)

Not to change the subject (much), but why do people keep using what I consider to be a "bad" abbreviation for the MicroMaxx motor designations? After the dash is the delay time rounded to the nearest second (the days of those goofy AVI motors with tenths of a second are long gone).

MicroMaxx I-1 should be abbreviated MMX I-1
and
MicroMaxx II-1 should be abbreviated MMX II-1

I find it especially useful when attempting to communicate with newbies who do not understand the difference between a C6-3 and a C6-7 (and who think the larger number at the end after the dash means more power). Abbreviating motors as C-6 or D-12 is not correct, so why do people do this with MicroMaxx?

Did one person start this and everyone copied?

Will a suggestion to use the correct designation be met with ridicule or will it be met with a slight pause to contemplate?

Anyone remember the Estes Citation engines? Ugh...

I had heard that too, regarding the MMX-I motors, but i'm 100% success to date with the MMX-II motors and toothpicks. I got the technique from Bill Spadafora (CMASS) and I have launched the Diminutive Deuce about 8 times wihtout failure, each of the other micro models once and I've seen Bill and a few other CMASS folks do this repeatedly with 100% success, clusters and all.

Also, while I was out at NERRF I saw a MicroMax competitor with his glider rigged this way and he expressed that he had never had a failure.

so...

I'll plead ignorance here :) as I never really knew the abreviation (or if there really *was* one) for the micromax motors...

thanx

ADDENDUM: Frankly, I would even prefer a 1/8A designation to these motors, to keep with the standard nomenclature of rocket motors in general...

Yes, 1/8A would be good.

I understand the desire to market them using the word "Maxx". It makes them sound bigger/more valuable.

Like Jumbo Shrimp.

;)

https://nar.org/SandT/NARenglist.shtml

I'll plead ignorance here :) as I never really knew the abreviation (or if there really *was* one) for the micromax motors...

thanx

ADDENDUM: Frankly, I would even prefer a 1/8A designation to these motors, to keep with the standard nomenclature of rocket motors in general...

Originally posted by shreadvector
I have approximately 50 launches using toothpicks in the MMX II-1 motors and have never had a CATO.

I have had 100% success rate with this method including 3 motor clusters.

EDIT: I agree that the 1/8A-1 designation would be a good thing.

so...

Jim any idea on the CATO rate for the older engines??

Not a clue, but my understanding is that the CATO's were *caused* by the use of toothpicks, not a fault in the motor themselves.

Ok, now to wet your appitite :)

Here are some pictures.

From left to right we have:

An 18mm motor casing
The Intergalactic Man of Space
Petite Preator
Teeny Triskelion
Ulysses

A closeup of the Intergalactic Man of Space.

We are either going to provide these markings as decals or as a free download file that you can print and stick on.

Here is a sampling of the balsa items and rings that we are looking at. Many of these are needed for the kits in the previous picture and many are just to fill out our offering of micro max items.

in this picture, you will see
14 nose cones
6 adapters
3 nose blocks
4 centering rings
1 engine block

Originally posted by rstaff3
That little space dude sure has an evil grin on his face :)

More of a "Holy Proctologist, Batman! He just shoved a motor up my butt!" kind of grin, if you ask me... LOL

I know I have perpetuated the MMX-xx designation, but can't remember where I got it. Its one of those things you think are just beyond reach in your memorty, and if you strain hard enough you'll remember. Although the other suggestions are better, I most likely won't quit using MMX.:rolleyes:

More of a "Holy Proctologist, Batman! He just shoved a motor up my butt!" kind of grin, if you ask me... LOL

And since he's your creation, I believe it LOL!

Did i miss something, when are the cones going to be available? I have lots of tubes and rings, but no cones.

I would expect that our Micro Max parts department to go live about the same times as our kits do. Namely in the Sept/Oct timeframe (finances willing :) ) We are looking to have one of the largest, if not THE largest, selection of parts for micro max scratch building in the industry... :)

Also, a new sample arrived today...

Check out these rings:

(I beleive that we will be the only manufacturer out there with micro max engine mount kits...)

Wubba!

I'll be the first one to ask for a MicroMaxx "Designer's Special". Include a bunch of cones, tubes, and motor mounts, and we'll do the rest....

Later,
EV

Originally posted by EchoVictor
Wubba!

I'll be the first one to ask for a MicroMaxx "Designer's Special". Include a bunch of cones, tubes, and motor mounts, and we'll do the rest....

Later,
EV

OH! Thank you! Nearly forgot... yes, we will also have "Designer's Special's" as well...

whew!

Back