Micro or others Future Procedure

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lowpuller

Reaction score
I know this has been discussed many times previously but please share the procedure you use to apply Future to your rockets.

Thank you..

I used to airbrush Future. Too messy. Now I just apply with a foam brush. Keep rocket upright and tilted to allow excess flow to drip off.

Anyone ever try adding Tamiya matte base to get matte future? That is intriguing to me. Saw that on the Swannys page.

I have. Mixed results. It streaks. Actually that is probably a time when you do want to use an airbrush.

Last edited:
Anyone ever try adding Tamiya matte base to get matte future? That is intriguing to me. Saw that on the Swannys page.

I swear by Krylon UV-Resistant Acrylic Clear. Available in Gloss and Matte. Here is my Interceptor-E nose cone. Flat paint covered with Gloss, decals applied, top coat of the Matte. The paints I like are often flat, so the two Krylons are excellent in combination.

IMG_0153.JPG

This thread inspired me to finally go out and get some Pledge. The plastic model crowd (I'm one of them too) have found so many uses for this stuff that you would think the Swiss Army people had invented it. I've been meaning to try it for quite a while.

Shot down to Wally World and grabbed a bottle, about six bucks, and have just finished coating a couple of projects. I used a foam brush as Dixon recommended and just painted it on.

So far I'm pretty impressed! Great gloss and dries to the touch pretty quickly. I especially like the fact that, since it is water based, I don't have to worry too much about it fouling up the paint or decals.

Of course the problem is that as soon as it cures you start finding all the little things you missed when you were cleaning the thing prior to clear coat! :facepalm:

Mugs

This thread inspired me to finally go out and get some Pledge. The plastic model crowd (I'm one of them too) have found so many uses for this stuff that you would think the Swiss Army people had invented it. I've been meaning to try it for quite a while.

Shot down to Wally World and grabbed a bottle, about six bucks, and have just finished coating a couple of projects. I used a foam brush as Dixon recommended and just painted it on.

So far I'm pretty impressed! Great gloss and dries to the touch pretty quickly. I especially like the fact that, since it is water based, I don't have to worry too much about it fouling up the paint or decals.

Of course the problem is that as soon as it cures you start finding all the little things you missed when you were cleaning the thing prior to clear coat! :facepalm:

Mugs

All good. If you do further coats it will get glossier. But never do another coat before waiting the recommended 8 hours.

All good. If you do further coats it will get glossier. But never do another coat before waiting the recommended 8 hours.

Thanks for the tip. I recoated both this morning after letting them dry overnight. I'm liking the results! I'll try to get some pics up tonight when I get home.

Here are the results of my Pledge efforts.

Well, to say 'efforts' is to overstate the case. This was about the easiest thing I've ever done on a build. Open the Pledge bottle, squirt a little into a glass, dip foam brush, paint on rocket, let dry. Add to that cleaning the glass out if you don't want to get yelled at...

Its hard to get pictures of "gloss", but I think this gives the idea. This is after two coats and I'll probably do one more. Results would be even better with a bit more prep before clear coat. Just as a point of reference, the white is unpainted white primer and was quite flat before the Pledge.

Good results, I think, and almost effortless. :cool:

IMG_20170228_090054.jpgIMG_20170228_090234.jpgIMG_20170228_090242.jpgIMG_20170228_090319.jpg

Back