Micro Maxx vendors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markschnell

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have been bitten by the Micro bug. I have stepped away from rockets these past few years while I am in seminary. But I need an outlet from all the studying, Micro Maxx fits the bill.

I have bought two kits from Jim Flis so far. They are great! I have also bought three kits from Aerospace Specialty Products. I am impressed with them too.

So besides Quest, what other companies sell Micro Maxx kits?

I have bought from the same ones, just wanted to say welcome to the zany world of Micros.

I got bitten a few months ago and after many L-3 projects, have just as much fun building and flying these little buggers as the big ones. Saves a lot of money too! Let's see some photos, that's mandatory for micro fliers!

Fliskits Crayons are great flyers, but beware they get some altitude....and fast. They make a great backyard flyer.....my landed in a backyard two houses over.:)

Yeah, definitely join the MMX Yahoo group. you'll find lots of free plans there.

Okay, I'm part of the yahoo group. I may not need to buy kits anymore, well, except for Jim Flis's kits.

But there are so many great plans there and ideas. It'll keep me busy for a long time.

Here's the nekked ASP Micro Corporal, the FlisKits Red Crayon...

Love the Micro Corporal, will order one ASAP. The Flis Crayon looks like a good performer as well.

My latest is a Truax Dustmite converted to MMX with a streamer. Got the file off the Rocketry Blog and printed it out on a Trader Joe's bag. Don't tell anyone I picked-up the "fins" off the sidewalk. Flew nice and stable.

Micro Dustmite.JPG

I believe
Micro Classics": is still out there with some very interesting kits, I think he's an e-mail only source I'll have to look up the link.
QCR: Offeres some basic Micro competition kits and another version 1/8A Helicopter duration model.
Art Applewhite: Has some very neat UFO and Bic Stick Pen micro rocket kits and plans.
ASP: Scale micros you've discovered.
Pratt Hobbies: had a couple micro kits and can supply 10.5mm Super light weight styrene nosecones if ask;)
Quest: I'm told, is looking as a few new micro "Kits" coming a bit later this fall if IIRC.

and of course don't forget Fliskits has some of the VERY BEST micro parts inventory available anywhere outside my own basement LOL!!!! as well as all those very cool kits.

With all that and more the 130 plans and more coming all the time, on the MicroMaxRockets Group that should keep ya busy for awhile:)

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm enjoying this new (to me) way to enjoy rocketry. It really is a good fit when you are living in a small place and don't have much money to spend on extra stuff.

Bob,

The Micro Pegasus is very cool. How does it fly as a cluster?

Best regards,
Brian

Bob,

The Micro Pegasus is very cool. How does it fly as a cluster?

Best regards,
Brian

Brian:
I can't answer for bob but this T3 size micro Pegasus flies like a Bat out-of-you-know where on 3 MMX-II motors. Can't tell you how high it got cause we didn't see it until it was under streamer well after hearing the Pop-pop-Pops. but it was up there;)

I'll give this thread a bump with a related question....

Where do you guys get the best value on MMX motors? I'm looking at ordering one of the starter kits directly from Quest, but paying almost double the merchandise cost for shipping on one doesn't make much sense...

I'll give this thread a bump with a related question....

Where do you guys get the best value on MMX motors? I'm looking at ordering one of the starter kits directly from Quest, but paying almost double the merchandise cost for shipping on one doesn't make much sense...

To be honest I don't know of a single local area shop that carries MMX motors currently. several did but something happed with the Quest distribution network a few years ago that made getting Quest stuff locally pretty tough.

I've always found it best and best bang for the buck to order MMX motors by the CASE (12- 6packs=72motors) or more.
You really missed a Great deal a few months ago when Quest was selling everything in the house with a 40% off coupon. I ordered another case of MMX-II's #5663 and a Case of MMX-II-NE's #5665 as well just because the deal was good.

A couple years back I went to our club and ask if folks would like to go in on a Big bulk order to get the price down. We did, ordering 10 cases of MMX-II motors through one of our favorite "local" hobby shops, who had to order them from their supplier/distributor etc. back to Quest. Because it was a 10 case order we not only got a great deal on the price of the motors but the Shipping was also included at no additional charge. This took the per motor or per flight cost of the motors under .40 each:) I'm still flying on some of those motors and jump on 40% or more off sales to replenish my motor stock.
If your involved with a group it sure couldn't hurt to ask if they'ed be interested.

I'm sure if you also need other micro supplies and/or kits you could work something similar with Fliskits. They now have a complete line of everything you could want with about the best micro balsa parts i've seen, great micro kits and MicroMaxx motors Through Quest.

Let me expand on that just a little: First, I don't work for Fliskits: I mostly scratch build, turning my own custom parts. That said when Fliskits decided to offer balsa micro parts; I purchased a batch of Cones, transitions, plugs and centering rings from Jim. I've also purchased several of his micro kits. Without a single bit of hesitation I can tell you the quality of the parts, and those tiny laser cut rings are top notch. All, not just some, Every single one of the turnings I ordered, and it was a good size order were of a quality equal to that I would have turned for myself. Shoulders are all consistant, true and firm fitting. Really First quality material and manufacturing. Sorry if that sounded like a commerical...These parts (and kits) are really GREAT.
Hope this helps a little

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback, MM....

I'm not sure I'm ready to make a commitment to a case of motors, but I'm sure that if I wanted to, Discount Rocketry (who is local for me) could hook me up. It doesn't seem like anyone in San Diego flies MMX. At least I have't seen any in the many years I've been flying with DART...

Really, I'm just getting into it because of my newfound interest in heli-rocs. I picked up the Flis Tiddlywink to give it a try... And to upscale!

I'm not sure I'm ready to make a commitment to a case of motors, but I'm sure that if I wanted to, Discount Rocketry (who is local for me) could hook me up. It doesn't seem like anyone in San Diego flies MMX. At least I have't seen any in the many years I've been flying with DART...

Really, I'm just getting into it because of my newfound interest in heli-rocs. I picked up the Flis Tiddlywink to give it a try... And to upscale!

I hear ya about the heli-Rocs. They've been a fasination to me for years!
I have an 3 D12 Cluster or F powered Rota-Roc Demo Autogyro with 60" rotors that's a Hoot!
You'll enjoy your Tiddlywink, it's a pretty nifty kit, and can have some interesting flights.

If you like heli-rocs, take a look at Pavel Pinkas's Chicago Chopper. I've flown heli-rocs several dozen times, and never had deployment issues myself, but I've seen lots of Rot-a-rocs and Rose-a-rocs have deployment issues due to past-apogee ejection. Mr. Pinkas's ChiChop solve the problem and has some other good hints to boot. It's a little larger than MMX, but flies well on 1/2A's and A's. I currently hold the B-Division record for B-HD with a ChiChop style heli-roc at 3 minutes (this was in nearly dead air too).

Back