Micro Maxx Tower

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flying_silverad

Reaction score
I recently bought a Micro Maxx RTF set on Ebay for real cheap. I've read abou the battery issue so I thought I would kick it up a notch. I had a spare Estes Launch controller and found a couple of power connectors. Maybe someone has already done this....

External Power Jack

Electron Beam Launcher

Good Idea Silver
I wanted an easy way to convert the silo launcher base for 12Volts and use regular micro-clips and bare nichrome wire for igniters. heres the conversion page and a very quick and easy dead 9V batter connector clip/wire drop that we've be using about 3 years now;) the Quest controller handles the increase voltage without a problem.

Aw shucks!
Sorry Silver that's the quickie 12v upgrade but not the silo conversion...Drat! wrong pic...I'll try again:) this will be the silo conversion for external "standard system" connection and dual use micro-maxx plug igniter or bare nichrome clips. With this feature your silo can be used with anyones launch system, assuming they use some kind of micro-clips at the motor end:D
If you need a higher res. pic, this material is in the files section of the micromaxx yahoo group.

Originally posted by Micromister
close up of the igniter connection.

So, to use a piece of bare nichrome wire in place of the MMX igniter, you use plain old alligator clips to make the connections?!
(I was wondering how you stuffed the nichrome wire down into those stupid plug-ins, and still managed to get the whole length of the wire hot enough for ignition)

I spoke with one of the design engineers at Quest about switching for their 34gage nichrome loop to straight 30 gage nichrome.. as long as we keep the length between the clips under 1 inch its fine even on the 9volt system.
Don't know if you can see the igniter better in this pic..maybe it'll help. I generally bend and cut my MM igniters while I'm watching TV. It's amazing how many accumulate during a 1/2hour show:) Just drop them in a snack size zip-loc and away ya go!

OBTW: How on earth did we ever get along in this hobby before the invention of the zip-loc bag:D:D

Originally posted by Micromister
OBTW: How on earth did we ever get along in this hobby before the invention of the zip-loc bag

I am hooked on old 35mm film capsules myself.

MICRO-

What are some good resources for micro maxx stuff. In particular I am interested in scratch building etc.

Thanks...

The micro bug is starting to take hold....doc says there doesn't seem to be a cure!:D

Silver:
Totally Tubular has a great selection of parts for scratch building micros. T-2 (.246") motor blocks, couplers, extensions.
T-2+ (.281") Micro-Maxx minimum dia body tubing.
T-3 (.375" body tubes
T-4 (10.5mm) .448" body tubes
T-5 (BT-5) .544" body tubes
T-2+ to T-3 fiber centering rings
T-2+ to T-4 " " "
T-2+ to T-5 " " "

launch lugs: coffee stir sticks, cheep-o plastic Q-tip sticks, Bic Pen ink tubes, Evergreen or Plastisturct 1/16" styrene tube drilled out to .051"
Streamer material: Teflon plumbers tape, Military grade teflon tape.
Chutes: 1/4mil mylar with teflon tape pom-pom (larger models only)
Fins: CardStock, waferglass, .020 & .030" sytrene, .030 clear lexan, 1/64 3-ply plywood, 1/32" basswood.
Nose Cones and Transitions: ya gotta make yourself.
Micor motor hooks. .020" stainless wire.
Check out the files section of the micro-maxx yahoo group, it loaded with the how, what, where's and why's
Hope this helps

MICRO
WOW...lots of good stuff. I am just about ready to place another order with TT so that info will come in handy.

I'll try the yahoo group as well. I'm really suprised that we don't have a section on just micro stuff. Seems like it's a world all in itself like LPR MPR etc.

Thanks for the help and info!!;)

Originally posted by flying_silverad
MICRO
WOW...lots of good stuff. I am just about ready to place another order with TT so that info will come in handy.

I'll try the yahoo group as well. I'm really suprised that we don't have a section on just micro stuff. Seems like it's a world all in itself like LPR MPR etc.

Thanks for the help and info!!;)

Thanks: I'm just happy to see others getting involved with micor's, Welcome to the fold;)
As a specialty group..that's why Art Applewhite set up the Micro-maxx yahoo group. This is why you'll see me posting the group site so often, direction folks to the photos,files & FAQ sections which are chock full of the How's, Wheres and Why's for the specialty.
I must agree with this forums moderators concerning a seperate section for micro-maxx. While we are turely unique to model rocketry, we have a fine place in the low power, scratch building and technique sections. Even if ya get the feeling sometimes nobody is interested:) just keep plugin...It's all good. It takes a good bit more work to figure the detailing on the micors, but that's the challange:D Not to mention I don't have to drive 1-1/2 hours to get to a huge field to fly a couple models, I can simple walk across the street to a tiny park.

Back