Micro Maxx powered "The BAT" boost Glider (Tails from The DARK DISTANT PAST)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Halloween has past and I was feeling kinda spooky so looking at all my standard size Halloween Odd-Roc's I came across one for some reason I've missed all these years.

Way back in the stone age 70's. One of the many model of the month entries to "The Model Rocketeer" Magazine by Bill Schmidt was His version of The BAT BG.
As you all know I just can't leave anything alone when it comes to making it a Theme Odd-Roc. So my version changed the wing shape a bit, give our bat a face and other little variations. Can't tell you how well Bills original design flew but mine was a pretty neat spiral Accent and very long glide after kicking the 18mm motor casing. SOOOOOOO long in fact I decided to retro fit the model with a 13mm motor pod to give a little less altitude and shorter recovery walks.

Anyhow! I've not flown the BAT BG in years. He hangs Upside down from my basement strip light waiting for his next chance to take to the air.

As said in my opening I was feeling like I needed to add another Halloween Micro Odd-Roc and noticed Old Bat BG hinging in the rafters. Started looking around for my old drawings and plans. I really didn't remember where I'd seen the original back in the day so went on-line to see if I could run down the prototype. alas NOTHING! I found a couple others but Nothing about the BAT Boost Glider. it was Halloween week so I was running out of time. I took my version down as started measuring the old model. Then wondered if possibly I would have kept the original plan from way back then??? IT took the better part of an afternoon to dig through the OLD plans and drawings i've accumulated over 50+ year but what-do-you KNOW. I found an OLD crumpled up B&W copy of the January 1971 Model Rocketeer Mag article with part of the plan.

So away we go. I've re-worked the drawing wing design, added some legs, Blood shot eyes. fingers, ears, mouth and fangs to make our new T3 boost pod Micro The BAT BG a bit more Halloween worthy spooky flying. Equipped with a T2+ ejectable motor pod with 3/8 x 4.0" orange Teflon streamer it should be as good a flying model as the larger original.
Just about to start Painting the model flat black before adding the detail paint.
have so construction and assembly photos but have yet to transfer them from the camera. will add in the next day or so.

View attachment MM 416c_T3 The Bat BG_2X Downscale_10-18-15.pdf

Last edited:
That's pretty cool John! Love the added decorations. If I built one it would probably poke someone and draw actual blood...making it a vampire bat. (I have terrible luck with gliders.)

That's pretty cool John! Love the added decorations. If I built one it would probably poke someone and draw actual blood...making it a vampire bat. (I have terrible luck with gliders.)

Hey 10-4 on the vampire Bat!!! I thought that went without saying for a Halloween BAT :)

I guess it'll take a post or two to show the build photos but here goes.

MM 416uc02_.032in Balsa Sheet & Cardboard templates_10-23-15.JPG

MM 416uc03a_NCB-3AM NC & T3 x 1.3125 pod_10-23-15.JPG

MM 416uc03b_Bat BG- Pylon-T3 tube & LL assembly_10-25-15.JPG

MM 416uc03c_Bat BG- T2+&T3 Center ring eject POD_10-25-15.JPG

MM 416uc04a_Wing Dihedral cardboard jig layout_10-23-15.JPG

MM 416uc04b_2 cardboard fin jigs(75deg)_10-25-15.JPG

MM 416uc04c_Tape jig halves over wax paper_10-25-15.jpg

MM 416uc05_Wings White glue Joined in angle Jig_10-25.jpg

MM 416uc06_BAT BG- Setting Vertical Fins with angle jig_10-25-15.JPG

MM 416uc07a_Tissue Legs & install Pylon Pod_10-26-15.jpg

Last edited:
Oooh you cut the feet from balsa. A sign of a true craftsman!

That's totally amazing. I am too impatient and fat-fingered to do anything that small with that much detail. What fun!

That's totally amazing. I am too impatient and fat-fingered to do anything that small with that much detail. What fun!

Well Not so amazing! Had the BAT BG out at the Narhams Dec. Sport Launch. I think I used too short a launch rod as the Bat cleared the rod and immediately flip-flopped. No Damage but really was an awful flight.
Did get at least a decent top side photo before the night before. Will try to Launch it with a 12" rod in the spring.

MM 416a_Micro The BAT BG TopView & Stats_11-02-15.jpg

Back