Micro Maxx in a Time of Coronavirus - flyin' in the driveway!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

75Grandville

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
So, social distancing, stay home & stay safe, and rocket launches do not mix! My current brain-fart, er, I meant brainstorm, is to fly MicroMaxx in my front yard. Takes care of launching while adhering to all of the guidelines, rules, laws, etc. that are currently keeping me from going to a launch site.

Why the front yard, you ask? In my neighborhood, power lines run along the rear of the house, in an easement. That means I've got 30 feet of my driveway, plus the street (approximately 20 feet - not at all busy, even when everyone isn't staying home), which means I've got my 50 foot minimum area!

They're small enough and light enough that I'm not worried about them going too high, or doing damage when they come down.

Where I live (Salt Lake County, Utah) it's unlawful to fly on school grounds, so they are out (two within 1/4 mile). The nearby church is private property, so can't fly there, even if my kids ride their bikes in the parking lot sometimes. Usual club launch site is 60 minutes away, and even though it is miles from anywhere, that long a drive is not consistent with the current "Stay Home" guidance.

So, has anyone else been stir-crazy enough to try this?

Not yet, but depending on how far this goes...
For now I've been focused on building, and my son has a pump rocket and stomp rockets to play with in the front yard.

I launched in my back yard the other night. A10-3Ts, neighbor and son watched. He is a deputy, thought they were cool. Invited them to next launch.

Shouldn't this be in the MicroMaxx forum?

Anyway, I did this when I first got a MM kit years ago. Kids enjoyed it.

Back