Micro Maxx in a Time of Coronavirus - flyin' in the driveway! (Continued)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

75Grandville

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_0413 (2).JPG This is the before shot. Also doubles as my entry in the "rockets you worked on during conference calls while working from home" thread.

And "rockets I repaired after finding all of the pieces."

And "rockets I completed after finding half a kit, kinda squished."

Shout outs to:
  • eRockets: launch rod adapter, plastic MMX rockets
  • Fliskits: Buckshot (repaired), Crayon, Dead Ringer (squished partial kit - nose cone, fins, squished ring fins, squished connector [3/16" launch lug?], missing body tube)
  • Art Applewhite: Micro Max Dicey
  • ASP Rocketry: MMX motors
  • And even to the USPS, still delivering (although minus 3 points for "misplacing" my motors for almost a week)
Flight report to follow!

Flight report:

1. Buckshot - good flight, nose cone ejected but streamer did not. Landed intact in back yard. Good flight!
2. Space shuttle - unstable! Nose cone separated from body (I was expecting this). Unlikely to fly again without heavy modification!
IMG_0414[1].JPG IMG_0415[1].JPG
<Suburban crowds gather. Well, six.>
IMG_1437[1].JPEG
3. Crayon - good flight, motor ejected rather than streamer. Came in ballistic on neighbor's driveway
IMG_0416[1].JPG
4. Dead Ringer - textbook flight. Straight up, streamer deployed. Beautiful
5. Dicey - rigged up with some tape to only have about 2" of launch rod. Worked great

Given the performance of the Space Shuttle, and reports I read on the Saturn V, it didn't fly. I have the small-fin version. Correct to scale, but not stable in flight.

All in all, a most satisfying lunch time.

Last edited:
One small step for Grandville... 😋

I have some MMX that I just dug up past weekend cleaning up my bench - easy to lose such small rockets!! You've inspired me, so I may try to launch a few this weekend. Thanks for the report!

I hope I can fly a Big Bertha on an A. It
Goes REAL low.

thanks for the motivation

Here's the next "flight." Still in progress - paint scheduled for this weekend.

The tube fin was inspired by ASP's "That Tube Rocket" in particular.

The Mosquito clone is actually a BMS Imp - remember when you could get a model rocket for $0.99? - modified for MMX.

And of course, a Darkstar MMX, BT-5 version. May downscale even further to BT-4. Yes, I've got way too many parts laying around. I actually ran the motor tube 3/4 of the way up the body as a stuffer tube. The Buckshot failed to eject the streamer on Monday, and I wondered if that amount of tube was too much to pressurize for a Micro Maxx motor. Still have 2" for the base of the NC and the streamer.

IMG_0422[1].JPG

I remember having a Mosquito as a kid (40 years ago). These days I usually classify them as "crunchies." I wonder where my rocket landed? <Walks around looking> CRUNCH! Ooops - there it is (was)!

The Mosquito clone is actually a BMS Imp - remember when you could get a model rocket for $0.99? - modified for MMX.

And of course, a Darkstar MMX, BT-5 version. May downscale even further to BT-4. Yes, I've got way too many parts laying around. I actually ran the motor tube 3/4 of the way up the body as a stuffer tube. The Buckshot failed to eject the streamer on Monday, and I wondered if that amount of tube was too much to pressurize for a Micro Maxx motor. Still have 2" for the base of the NC and the streamer.

View attachment 413417

I remember having a Mosquito as a kid (40 years ago). These days I usually classify them as "crunchies." I wonder where my rocket landed? <Walks around looking> CRUNCH! Ooops - there it is (was)!

Cool. What altitude? (EXP)

View attachment 413417

CRUNCHIES!
I love it. And have found a few that way myself! School kids love painting their rockets in camo-colors and black. As in "Where did it...."crunch'...oh rats!" Yes, I did type "rats." And yes there was some editing of actual language.....

But calling them "Crunchies" is WONDERFUL!

Brad

Sweet! You totally win the "making the best of it and staying positive" prize for the day.
s6

Sweet! You totally win the "making the best of it and staying positive" prize for the day.
s6

Thanks! Hopefully UROC will hold the May launch. Maybe we'll see you there!

Cool. What altitude? (EXP)
So OpenRocket says 115' for the Darkstar BT5, 256' for the MMX Mosquito, and 208' for the MMX That Tube Rocket.

The first number I believe, the second number I doubt strongly, and am questioning the third. Now, the weights are .25 oz, .10 oz, and 0.08 oz respectively, before paint and with no motors. However, they only get .75 seconds of boost, with a 0.50 delay on the ejection, which doesn't leave much time to coast.

I'm not flying an altimeter, and I don't have one of those handy old-school devices for calculating altitude the name of which currently escapes me, so I'll provide estimates based on the Mark II eyeball (modified, with glasses - the Mark I was when I was much younger).

Also, the Rocket Fairy delivered a package arrived from JonRocket today, with this inside:

IMG_0423.JPG

Because I am constitutionally incapable of just doing things. I must overdo them. A lot.

Last edited:
Thanks! Hopefully UROC will hold the May launch. Maybe we'll see you there!

So OpenRocket says 115' for the Darkstar BT5, 256' for the MMX Mosquito, and 208' for the MMX That Tube Rocket.

The first number I believe, the second number I doubt strongly, and am questioning the third. Now, the weights are .25 oz, .10 oz, and 0.08 oz respectively, before paint and with no motors. However, they only get .75 seconds of boost, with a 0.50 delay on the ejection, which doesn't leave much time to coast.

I'm not flying an altimeter, and I don't have one of those handy old-school devices for calculating altitude the name of which currently escapes me, so I'll provide estimates based on the Mark II eyeball (modified, with glasses - the Mark I was when I was much younger).

Also, the Rocket Fairy delivered a package arrived from JonRocket today, with this inside:

View attachment 413498

Because I am constitutionally incapable of just doing things. I must overdo them. A lot.

If you could, could you show us a video?

those guys look great

I will try to do so. One man band out there. Will probably press my kids into service as camera people.

Wanted to launch yesterday, but... My 90 year old neighbor was working in her front yard. The absolute last thing I want is for any sort of injury or mishap to occur because of my launch, so I postponed.

I did launch on Sunday.

Launch Report for 26 April 2020
Buckshot: Good flight, landed in said neighbors side yard. Felt like a schoolboy calling her up to ask permission to go retrieve my rocket! I had what I would consider a full-size streamer in it, and the wind carried it more than I expected. Will probably downsize from 1" x 12" to 1/2" x 6". Just need enough to keep it coming in tail first.
IMG_0431.JPG
Dicey: Motor would not ignite. Several tries. Was the motor rather than the ignitor, since the same ignitor lit the next motor just fine. Scraped out the inside of the motor with a safety pin, intended to try again yesterday.
Micro Stealth: Good flight on an NE motor
Dead Ringer: Good up. NC ejected but no streamer. Came in ballistic. Ouchy.
IMG_0434.JPG

Also discovered my original Micro Maxx clamshell launcher thingy. Don't think that works with the current ignitors, so it may be a curiosity item.

Last edited:
The MMX Darkstar looks "big" for what I think of as micromax rocket, how much does it weigh, and how much thrust do they put out?

The MMX Darkstar looks "big" for what I think of as micromax rocket, how much does it weigh, and how much thrust do they put out?
Mass with motor from simulation is about 0.33 oz. It's currently taped up for more paint, so not able to get exact weight at the moment, but the simulation no-motor mass of 0.28 oz before paint was very close to actual weight.

And it is intentionally on the "big" side for an MMX rocket. Shooting for "low and slow" on these, given the proximity of my neighbors. :) Plus, I have trouble getting streamers to deploy in minimum diameter MMX rockets, or even BT3-based.

MMX motor should push it to no more than 100 feet. Same rocket with an A3-4T will go over 800 feet.

Last edited:
I see! Very fascinating little motors. It all checks out, that is under the ~1oz that the micromaxx appears to be able to lift safely

04 May 2020 Flight Report

About 3/4 for three. All look good preflight. All got updated paint jobs.IMG_0455.JPG

That Tube Rocket MMX: Assumptions about using tube fins or spaces between for launch rod invalid. Launch lug needed. No Launch.
Darkstar MMX: Started up, took a left, ended in the rocket eating tree that already got the Crayon rocket.
Mosquito: Good up, drifted into same neighbor's backyard. Politely waited for her to bring her dog in, then retrieved it while maintaining social distancing.

Decided to call it quits for the day at that point.

Utah tends to be windy, and I keep forgetting that even though the surface may be calm, it can be a totally different story 50 feet up. And these are light enough to drift like crazy. I need to find a better location. Too bad schools and parks both ban rockets. I'll come up with something!

Last edited:
Haven't flown in a couple weeks, but have still been building, although at a reduced rate.

On top is a downscaled Red Raycer (sort of - I couldn't find mine, so I just kinda made it up).

The second is a downscale Vortico. I've got all three of the Rocketarium sizes - 18mm, 24mm, 29mm. I was looking at some popsicle sticks, and thinking "I bet I could..." A little rough - had a #11 eXacto knife and some sandpaper, followed up with a drill (9/32" bit works for MMX MMT). And my Jon Rocket ruler, of course! Mostly Totally eyeballed the dimensions, curves, etc.

Still need to add launch lugs and paint. In bright colors, especially the MMX Vortico. It's going to be hard to find otherwise!

I'm thinking a downscaled Oddl Rockets Corkscrew might be in my future...

IMG_0483.JPG

CRUNCHIES!
I love it. And have found a few that way myself! School kids love painting their rockets in camo-colors and black. As in "Where did it...."crunch'...oh rats!" Yes, I did type "rats." And yes there was some editing of actual language.....

Brad

CRUNCHIES!

Brad
I’m a fan of nice paint jobs. I personally don’t do it so well.

Attachments

• 4891F18C-05B5-4232-A0AB-F2D3A1FB7404.jpeg
    4891F18C-05B5-4232-A0AB-F2D3A1FB7404.jpeg
    102.1 KB · Views: 26
Speaking of painting, time for a pro tip. After painting your Red Raycer clone (or any other rocket), do not leave it out in the backyard where it can be rained on overnight.

I salvaged the plastic nose cone...

Necro time! Still got a hankering for little rockets flown in my front yard, 8 months later. Modifying some designs to keep apogee under 100'. 75' is my actual target. Nice fat BT-20 bodies for extra drag.

Here we have a MMX Arapahoe, MMX Argent, MMX Darkstar, and the nose section of an MMX X-Ray. Currently in the "Fill, sand, repeat" stage.

Original MMX Darkstar weathercocked and would up in the rocket-eating tree. This one is getting 5g of nose weight to help keep apogee lower.

image_123927839.jpg

Back