Micro-Maxx Ideas

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shockwaveriderz

Reaction score
Has anybody done any of the following? :

1. staged MM
2. clustered MM
3. considered using a micro max engine inside an internal piston to deploy the recovery system in a larger rocket?
4. staged regular size engine to MM
5. staged MM to a regular sized engine

1. Don't think MMX-sized booster motors are available
2. It's enough trouble to get ONE of those little things to fire with the stupid igniters provided
3. No (I haven't considered it) ---- maybe an idea for someone who flies mid- or high-power?
4. Kinda iffy on stage-to-stage pyro ignition, although I suppose you could use onboard electronics to ignite the MMX upper stage . . . but why would you want to stage this combo in the first place?
5. YGBSM

Personally I haven't tried any of that, but might one day.
1. I have wanted to build a Micro Deuce's Wild, but haven't yet.
Jim Flis has a Micro Deuce and has had some success with that cluster.

2. Staging 2 MM motors might be a problem due to the delay. There are no 0 delay motors that I know of. But it might work in a real light rocket that would still be heading up by the time it staged.

3. Don't know, not my thing.

4. Just my opinion, but this is probably more doable than #2. It seems you should be able to stage a 13mm, or maybe an 18mm to a Micro motor.

5. Not sure what YGBSM means, but think about it: A MM motor isn't going to lift a regular sized motor. A cluster of them might though, but then we refer back to #1. :)

Tim

The only one I'll comment on is clustering. I have done a x3 cluster with a sort of flash pan. Worked 2/3 of the time. I also clustered x2 with hand picked Estes igniters. Worked more like 1/3 of the time.

I think our micromeister has had better results.

Bill Spadafora of CMASS has had great success with clustered MMX motors. At NARAM I think it was a 5 motor cluster that he got off the ground.

I've done two motors (Deuce's Wild!) and am getting better and better at it. I expect that the new Quest ignitors will help make clustering these a lot easier.

jim

I done staging from Snitch to MM-UFO. I used my "flashpan" ignition method. I fill the nozzle with bp, and cap it with Magnelite Pyroogen. Works real well.

Clustering and staging has been done for a long while now. if your looking for specific info ask on the micro maxx group. Check the FAQ's in the files section.
I've clustered 2, 3, 4, and 8 motors with fair success using my method and relay. Should be easier with the new Quest Q2 igniters ( or old MPC FX smoker igniters)
Staging is a bit tricker, No standard booster motor will be available in the forseeable future. only marginal success can be had motor to motor. without makeing NON-Recommended modifications to the delay train;) See into in the MMX group files section.
haven't staged standard to MMX or viseversa.

MRC, not MPC. Different companies and different igniters (although I liked the MPC igniters, they would not fit inside a MMX I-1 or MMX II-1).

Originally posted by Micromeister
Clustering and staging has been done for a long while now. if your looking for specific info ask on the micro maxx group. Check the FAQ's in the files section.
I've clustered 2, 3, 4, and 8 motors with fair success using my method and relay. Should be easier with the new Quest Q2 igniters ( or old MPC FX smoker igniters)
Staging is a bit tricker, No standard booster motor will be available in the forseeable future. only marginal success can be had motor to motor. without makeing NON-Recommended modifications to the delay train;) See into in the MMX group files section.
haven't staged standard to MMX or viseversa.

Originally posted by jflis
Bill Spadafora of CMASS has had great success with clustered MMX motors. At NARAM I think it was a 5 motor cluster that he got off the ground.

jim

It was 5 in a Little Joe and it is a giant pain to prep. When I was at NARAM someone showed me a picture of a gadget he uses to light 8 18mm motors. I scaled it down and tried it at the Acton launch on a cluster of 4. Only one fired. I hope to have the new and improved version at the Sept. 18 launch.

Originally posted by billspad
... at the Acton launch on a cluster of 4. Only one fired. I hope to have the new and improved version at the Sept. 18 launch.

So THATS what you did not want to talk about at the last launch ;).

Seriously, That is a cool rocket Bill... now all we need is Micro Max motors with more the a moment of delay time :(.

Originally posted by n3tjm
... now all we need is Micro Max motors with more the a moment of delay time :(.

Surely they will offer longer delays when real kits come out. Bill Stine, are you listening?

Bill

Originally posted by jflis
sheesh! clean up yer images guy! :D :D :D

Here she is a little bit brighter

jim

I was trying to hide a sloppy paint job!

Originally posted by billspad
It was 5 in a Little Joe and it is a giant pain to prep. When I was at NARAM someone showed me a picture of a gadget he uses to light 8 18mm motors. I scaled it down and tried it at the Acton launch on a cluster of 4. Only one fired. I hope to have the new and improved version at the Sept. 18 launch.

Relay Bill Relay: and confirmed good igniters after insertion...
it's not one way to ignite clusters... it the only consistant way...35 years of flying with only 8 non-lit motors in 2- to 8 bp motor clusters. can't argue with success;)

Originally posted by Micromeister
Relay Bill Relay: and confirmed good igniters after insertion...
it's not one way to ignite clusters... it the only consistant way...35 years of flying with only 8 non-lit motors in 2- to 8 bp motor clusters. can't argue with success;)

If've done MicroMaxx with and without relays. You can get away without the relay using a good strong battery (12V lead acid) and using the stock igniters. The arrangement I have for the Little Joe uses the stock igniters plugged into a circuit board. The hard part is lowering the rocket down on to it and getting all the igniters into the nozzles at once.

Back