Micro Max Launch lug

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ga1ba2

Reaction score
I noticed that the LL supplied with the FlisKits Mudwasp looks like it is made of plastic or something other than what comes with other kits. What kind of glue should I use?

I noticed that the LL supplied with the FlisKits Mudwasp looks like it is made of plastic or something other than what comes with other kits. What kind of glue should I use?
Does it look like it came from a coffee stirrer? (Those work fine, by the way.) I think that white glue or thick, slow CA would be your best bets in that case.

MarkII

If you're worried about it, scuff the lug lightly with a bit of sandpaper and use a double glue joint. Should work just fine.

They are actually a mylar tube (just like our body tubes, but without the paper layers...)

I have heard of some trouble using white glue, but I've never had problems. Lightly sanding the outside should help you avoid any problems. Then, white glue, carpenters glue, CA or epoxy should work just fine :)

jim

I never have any problem with getting my MTTM launch lugs to stick when I glue them on. The only time that I ever have any trouble is when I forget that I am not using CA and I let go too soon. :rolleyes:

MarkII

LOL! I agree with Mark completely:) Letting go to soon with white or carpenters Yellow glue can sometimes be an Oops!

Fliskit lugs have never been a problem for me either. Many of the alternative type lugs have....sticking things like Coffee stir sticks, Dollar store Q'tip stems, and even some of the Styrene fine tubing, do need to be roughed up by sanding before gluing in most instances. I guess by habbit I just do it with all lugs now. It's never a bad idea if your using lugs anyway to give the glue a little something extra to hold on to.

Thanks for all your replies. I will go with roughing it up with some sandpaper and yellow glue.
Since this is about glue I have another question. I just finished a Quest X15. I am very happy with how it came out. I know from some posts here on TRF that it needs some weight in the nose.I need about 1/2 oz. Is white or yellow glue and some shot ok or do I need epoxy?

Thanks for all your replies. I will go with roughing it up with some sandpaper and yellow glue.
Since this is about glue I have another question. I just finished a Quest X15. I am very happy with how it came out. I know from some posts here on TRF that it needs some weight in the nose.I need about 1/2 oz. Is white or yellow glue and some shot ok or do I need epoxy?

Personally I like to add noseweight secured with epoxy, for a couple reasons. first and formost is most epoxies retain a little flexablilty that can help keep the mass in place after those occasional hard landings.
However you secure your nose weight use the end of a needle file or round file to scuff up, "carefully" gouge a couple spots on the inside of the NC. This gives our adhesive something to hold on to;)

Last edited:
I'm hoping to fly my first MMX rocket in well over a year this weekend and it will be the first that is not one of the Quest plastic ones. I just realized that my silo launcher has long been gone and I need a launch rod.

Can somebody tell me what the diameter I need to look for is?

I do remember that I bought a purpose made MMX rod from some company last year and that it was jsut barely too fat for the Quest stuff. Is there a best size?

I'm hoping to fly my first MMX rocket in well over a year this weekend and it will be the first that is not one of the Quest plastic ones. I just realized that my silo launcher has long been gone and I need a launch rod.

I do remember that I bought a purpose made MMX rod from some company last year and that it was jsut barely too fat for the Quest stuff. Is there a best size?
0.050" music wire, about 12" long should do it. Get stainless steel if you can, otherwise, hardened music wire is fine. Either kind will be more resilient (less prone to getting bent) than the one that came with your Silo. I'm looking for one made of tungsten, though. :D

MarkII

0.050" music wire, about 12" long should do it. Get stainless steel if you can, otherwise, hardened music wire is fine. Either kind will be more resilient (less prone to getting bent) than the one that came with your Silo. I'm looking for one made of tungsten, though. :D

MarkII

Looks like I was close. For some reason, 0.049" was stuck in my memory.

Thanks

Yeah, 0.050" and 12"-14" long. I've gone as small as 0.035" if that's all that's available.

Also, see the attached image for a simple launch converter you can make. Slip this over a standard 1/8" rod and you've converted your launch pad to micro use :)

jim

launch pad.jpg

Good Memory John!
.049" dia is what the original Silo launcher were equiped with LOL!
Most music wire manufacturers Skip .050" for some reason, you generally have a choice of .049" or .051" diameter.
I've alway gone with the .049" Stainless music wire from McMaster-Carr, in pre-cut 12" Lengths #8908K54 but regular old hardened Carbon steel works just as well.
You can get .050" carbon fibre rod that i've used on a couple launcher just for fun. works fine I just don't care for the potential CF shards.
Hope this helps

Edit:
Our original silos were suppled with 9" long launch rod for those heavy LBP's; I have and still use 9" on very light weight models preferring 12" for most "average size" micros and go as long as 16" for Gliders as we usually clip the gliders about halfway up the rod anyway;)
McMaster at one time offered 24" precut lenghts but I don't see them listed anymore. Since your buying a bundle of 100, they last a long time....but come in pretty handy to have around for LOTS of other uses. Ditto for .022" dia stainless music wire in 12" lengths....in the last couple years I've gone there 2-100pc tubes LOL!!!!!

Last edited:
Thanks for the info.

I'll be heading out later today, I hope, to lay in a supply.

Yeah, 0.050" and 12"-14" long. I've gone as small as 0.035" if that's all that's available.
I gave 0.050" as a general measurement. Obviously there can be some leeway about what can actually be used. You do want it to be thick enough so that you have a rod that doesn't act like a noodle, though. ;)

The first time that I tried to make my own replacement rod, I cut it to a length of 18". Bad idea; it whipped like crazy for a couple of launches until I shortened it. Like Jim said: 14" max in length, unless you have a really deep mount for it. Micromaxx rockets leap off the pad so fast (just TRY to get a lift-off picture of one) that they usually don't need much rod to get stable anyway.

Also, see the attached image for a simple launch converter you can make. Slip this over a standard 1/8" rod and you've converted your launch pad to micro use :)

jim
Works good, too! :D I put a couple of "feet" on mine, though. I added a short piece of scrap BT-20 to the bottom and then glued on a couple more short pieces to it, sort of in the manner of tube fins, but really short. (More in the manner of centering rings.) These outboard feet help to keep the adapter from rotating around the 1/8" rod while I am hooking up the igniters. When I am done, I just slip the feet off of the adapter so that I can pack everything up flat in my range box.

MarkII

Last edited:
Back