Micro Mark "Same Stuff" (Tenax 7R) too quick for PSII Nike Smoke fins

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David_Stack

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Good Morning All;

Running into 'challenges' trying to use "Same Stuff" (the Micro Mark equivalent of discontinued Tenax 7R) as the bonding agent for assembling the PSII Nike Smoke fins.

I have the capillary touch applicator, but those fins also have bonding surfaces inside the fins, so I was trying to use the applicator brush in the Same Stuff bottle, without success. Bottom line is that the adhesive 'flashes off'/evaporates so quickly that it is largely dry before I am able to get adhesive on all the surfaces to be bonded and the two halves together. I was able to easily pry apart this morning a fin that I bonded last evening.

Was thinking about pouring a 'puddle' of adhesive onto a piece of plate glass, then floating the fin on it to apply adhesive to all the boding surfaces at once, then adhere the two halves together, but I fear this provides numerous opportunities for it all to go wrong...

Looking for ideas/suggestions/helpful hints.

Thanks,
Dave

I have the same problem with Plastruct Plastic Weld. I think the solvent is MEK, and it evaporates before I can get the two mating surfaces together. I have used the Testors red tube on the inside surfaces supplemented with Plastruct on the edges. Wick the brush on the edges. The capillary action should seep in and strengthen the bond.

Back