Micro-Hybrid Plans/Schematics for Sale?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 35735

Reaction score
Hello all,

I’ve come to the realization that buying or cloning a hybrid H/I or larger is outside of my skill set and price range, but I still want to play around with hybrids and was interested in the micro and mini hybrid motors out there. Did quite a bit of poking around and I couldn’t find any detailed schematics for one of these. It is my understanding that Rene Caldera used to have his plans for sale but it doesn’t seem like his website is up anymore. Anyone know where such plans could be purchased?

http://www.aeroconsystems.com/motors/Screamer_folder/screamer.htm is the best remaining source of information I could find. There is enough there that a person could start towards making one of these. A lathe would be required. Even a microlathe will work for one of these motors.

I don't have the tech specs on this one. But if you use a hybrid design program you should be able to come up with a good initial cut for things like injector size and nozzle throat, and look at lots of options for the fuel grain and chamber dimensions. It shouldn't be that hard to whip something up, so to speak. I don't have the time at the moment though as I'm too busy building a hybrid for URRF launch next week.

Gerald

Hello all,

I’ve come to the realization that buying or cloning a hybrid H/I or larger is outside of my skill set and price range, but I still want to play around with hybrids and was interested in the micro and mini hybrid motors out there. Did quite a bit of poking around and I couldn’t find any detailed schematics for one of these. It is my understanding that Rene Caldera used to have his plans for sale but it doesn’t seem like his website is up anymore. Anyone know where such plans could be purchased?
I played with those mini hybrid motors in the past to whet my appetite before diving in to HPR hybrid motors. They are a fun way of introducing yourself to hybrids, but don’t expect too much. Their T/W is quite poor and only have the thrust of about a D BP motor, if I recall from my earlier thrust measurements.

Good initial experience, though.

I played with those mini hybrid motors in the past to whet my appetite before diving in to HPR hybrid motors. They are a fun way of introducing yourself to hybrids, but don’t expect too much. Their T/W is quite poor and only have the thrust of about a D BP motor, if I recall from my earlier thrust measurements.

Good initial experience, though.
And also although it's only a D power, it's still classified as an HPR flight. As it's a hybrid.
Wonder if you could predominantly print it as the bulb is the pressure vessel? That would then make it an EX Hybrid and require L2 certification to launch a D motor.

I have a whole motor set that I got from Leland Dexter, along with a rocket made from 20mm Quest components and a small tube of Krytox. I've come to realize that there's no way I'm going to do anything with it... I just don't have the time. PM me if you're interested, I'm sure we can work out a good deal.

And also although it's only a D power, it's still classified as an HPR flight. As it's a hybrid.
Wonder if you could predominantly print it as the bulb is the pressure vessel? That would then make it an EX Hybrid and require L2 certification to launch a D motor.
Hmmm, I do have my L2 with Tripoli so that wouldn’t be a problem at any of our local launches. I suppose that means I couldn’t fly it at any outreach events though. Anyone know if it’s against the rules to do a static fire outside of a research launch setting? Would make a pretty interesting demonstration…

A static fire is not a flight. If you are at a club doing it, it is up to them. If you are at private property, it is up to the owner of the property and the local ordinances. With permission I've been involved in a fair number of static tests on various private property.

There's probably a small market for these, it would be larger if somebody just made an N2O injector adapter to fit AT 24/40 motor hardware. That's kinda what Aerotech did when they were selling hybrids... except they used their own aluminum tanks instead of a pre-filled N2O cartridge.

There's probably a small market for these, it would be larger if somebody just made an N2O injector adapter to fit AT 24/40 motor hardware. That's kinda what Aerotech did when they were selling hybrids... except they used their own aluminum tanks instead of a pre-filled N2O cartridge.
I can’t speak for everyone but I know for myself and others I know who weren’t around when AP was off-limits in the states hybrids are still a novel ‘new’ topic to explore in HPR. When I saw my first one go off about a year ago at the Argonia Cup I was absolutely amazed at how it seemed to ‘breath’ like a full size rocket right before it leapt off the pad. I believe it may have been named “pickle moonshine,” if anyone knows whose rocket that was. Very cool stuff! I think a lot of younger people in the hobby would experiment with this stuff if more hardware was available

Something like the microhybrid would be usable for the second stage of a small low flying 2-stage. It would only have to provide enough thrust to keep the sustainer moving, not enough to get a rocket off the pad.

Back