Micro Hybrid Cluster

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iGGiE

Reaction score
I recently purchased a micro hybrid kit from Roy Trzeciak-Hicks here in the UK, and since building it, have fired it several times (and i must say i love it). One thing i have noticed with it is the delay between pushing the button and the motor bursting into life varies. i have been using chunks of estes fuel grain as the pre heater and estes igniters. i figured this is fine if using the micro hybrid by itself, but i am planning (eventually) to build two more and use them in a cluster of three.
i just wondered if anybody else has tried clustering micro hybrids and if so have they had any problems getting them to fire simultaniously?

thanks

iggie

I haven't heard of anyone clustering them, but on my limited experience, I bet this will be a challenge. Ignition will be an issue, and I am not sure the thrust profile of the micro-hybrids is very consistent. You might also joint the Yahoo Microhybrids group and see if anyone there has done or heard of someone trying this. Good luck, I'd like to see the details of the rocket, the launch, the pics, etc. :)

its just an idea im playing with at the moment, i've not designed the rocket as such yet. i figure another problem is going to be that the micro hybrid is relitivley heavy which is going to make for a tail heavy rocket when there is three of them.

iggie

Maybe what you could do is use a standard high-thrust short-burn APCP motor for a central motor, say a G80 or H238, and use standard igniters (i.e. AT First Fire's) throughout the cluster of them with say, two hybrids in it also. So, what'll hopefully happen is all of the igniters will fire at the same time, igniting the true propellent in the G or H motor, and igniting the pre-heater or ignition grain in the hybrid. The G or H will kick the rocket off the pad, and probably just as soon as the G or H burns out, the hybrids *should* ignite, adding a lot of continuing thrust to the flight.

I have NEVER use a hybrid before nor researched them much, so I have not a clue if my idea will work or not...:rolleyes:

Jason

Originally posted by jetra2
Maybe what you could do is use a standard high-thrust short-burn APCP motor for a central motor, say a G80 or H238, and use standard igniters (i.e. AT First Fire's) throughout the cluster of them with say, two hybrids in it also. So, what'll hopefully happen is all of the igniters will fire at the same time, igniting the true propellent in the G or H motor, and igniting the pre-heater or ignition grain in the hybrid. The G or H will kick the rocket off the pad, and probably just as soon as the G or H burns out, the hybrids *should* ignite, adding a lot of continuing thrust to the flight.

I have NEVER use a hybrid before nor researched them much, so I have not a clue if my idea will work or not...:rolleyes:

Jason

nice idea, never thought of combining solids and hybrids!

iggie

I don't think augmenting an H or even a G with micro hybrids would be as interesting as a all micro-hybrid cluster. They don't have much oomph or generate much smoke. Might just as well air start 2 D12s.

My experience is limited and poor... never had a successful light, but, when I read the title of this thread, my initial thoughts were... no way was someone able to do that!

I was right, but it would be cool if you found a way.

I'm pleased to hear that others have so much success with them. I didn't.

Enjoy.

Nick

Back