Micro Classics Andromeda and Alein Explorer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n3tjm

Papa Elf
Reaction score
Just finished building these two rockets from Micro Classics which I won from the last DESCON. Very easy to build. All I used was normal plastic cement. With this type of plastic, the cement bonded instanty. The rockets are very light. I plan to try them out this weekend. Notice the launch rod I made for it. It is designed to adapt to a normal 1/8" launch rod. Should be cool.

I do have 1 question though... what do you do for wadding with these little rockets? Quarter Inch body tube does not leave much room... I assume I shread little pieces of estes wadding... sounds like fun...

I just got into micros like a week ago, but the set I bought came with this blue wadding that seems like Estes wadding. (it may not be, but it seems the same sorta thing). The Quest directions say to cut a one inch square, and insert before streamer.

Ask Micromiester or Shredvector, Forum memeber sthat helped me out with micros.

-Justin

My standard 'wadding fill rule' is to fill a length of tube equal to 2 to 3 times the diameter with fluffy wadding. When possible, after inserting the wadding at the top I "blow it down like a blow gun". The wadding will go "THUNK" against the motor mount or motor block and stop - forming a piston with a good gas seal.

For many models I use cellulose insulation material (Cocoon brand) https://www.cocooninsulation.com/

You will find that inserting a small amount of 'regular' wadding first will prevent the cellulose from blowing out the bottom when you do the blow-gun thing. I cut a square about twice the body diameter and then insert it at the top with my finger or a stick pushing the center to form a cup shape. i then load in the cellolose wadding and push it in, followed by the blow-gun.

For Micro rockets, it is not easy to do the blow-gun, so I simply push wadding down with a small stick or dowel. DO NOT PACK IT LIKE USING A RAM ROD OR IT WILL NEVER BLOW UP AND OUT AND YOUR ROCKET WILL "DEATH DIVE".

Nice looking rockets, by the way...

Originally posted by n3tjm
Just finished building these two rockets from Micro Classics which I won from the last DESCON. Very easy to build. All I used was normal plastic cement. With this type of plastic, the cement bonded instanty. The rockets are very light. I plan to try them out this weekend. Notice the launch rod I made for it. It is designed to adapt to a normal 1/8" launch rod. Should be cool.

I do have 1 question though... what do you do for wadding with these little rockets? Quarter Inch body tube does not leave much room... I assume I shread little pieces of estes wadding... sounds like fun...

Very Nice Doug!
Is Micro Classics putting these models out as Kits? if so do you have a like to them? if your using plastic cement, the parts must be mostly styrene?
I don't use wadding, Teflon Plumbers tape serves as both wadding and streamer. your local hardward store will have both 1/2" and 3/4" wide I tie the material directly to the kevlar shock line. 9 to 12 inches is usually plenty. baby powder the heck out of both sides before fold/rolling.
If you must use wadding, use 1/8 sheets, usually 3 is plenty

Originally posted by Micromeister
Very Nice Doug!
Is Micro Classics putting these models out as Kits? if so do you have a like to them? if your using plastic cement, the parts must be mostly styrene?

Yes, It is an individual that kitted up a few and they are made of styrene. I have the micro Andromeda. I have assembled it, but haven't painted/finished it yet.
The guy making up these kits is a MASA member, but I don't think he has a website. I don't know if he is still promoting them. There was an email listed on the descon 14 site, but that has been replaced with Descon 15. There is one EMRR review of the micro classics Andromeda.

Someone needs to find this guy. I'de buy some kits. I just got into micros like I said, but some kits would be cool. I saw some ASP scale kits that were pretty neat, but that's all I've run into besides Quest RTF birds.

Micro Classics Address is: Micro Classics
2965 W Owasso Blvd
Roseville, MN 55113

Phone: 651-484-0096
Fax: 651-484-0096
Email: [email protected]

This company is just getting strated. I contacted them by email, an I got a quick ansure. My two kits came in a week after I placed my order.

I received an email from Stuart, and he now has 4 micro classic kits available.

Micro Andromeda

Micro Alien Explorer

Micro S.S. Cassiopeia

Micro UFO Invader

His email is [email protected]

Micro_Andramada.jpg

I flew both the Micro Andromeda and Micro Alien Explorer last weekend.... I must say that they flew a lot higher than I thought they would! I am impressed. I orderd more motors :D.

https://n3tjm.crosswinds.net/Nov202004/02_Dougs_MM2_Micro_Alien_Explorer.mpg

https://n3tjm.crosswinds.net/Nov202004/06_Dougs_MM_Micro_Amdramada.mpg

It was very cool to see them up close and even cooler to watch them fly. They took full advantage of those tiny motors, I can tell you THAT! :)

Nice job and I'm glad they fly well, I know mine do.
One thing of note is the the forward canard fins on
the Alien Explorer are off by 90 degrees. I may have
to check the assembly instructions.

:)

Another welcome!
If you make these, they're VERY cool. Good stuff.....If you are not the guy you makes them...Well just WELCOME AGAIN! You will love this place.

Yes I am. I have kitted up about 6 of each kit, orders are rather slow comming in. There aren't
many MicroMaxx fanatics in MN I guess.

They are getting a slow start, but a start nonetheless. They now have a Vendor Recognition Page on EMRR... check that out.

Doug - we look forward to your reviews on EMRR.

I'm buildling (slowly) the Alien Invader.

Nick

Originally posted by stl1951
Yes I am. I have kitted up about 6 of each kit, orders are rather slow comming in. There aren't
many MicroMaxx fanatics in MN I guess.

You need a web presence -or- mail our a catalog.

Nick,
I think yours was the UFO Invader (Centuri)

right you are, the fin templates said Alien, but the instructions say UFO and the pictures are all UFO. Sorry for confusion.

Nick

I just ordered my first micro maxx kits the other day (hopefully they'll be waiting when we get back from holiday travelling). I am really intrigued by the mmx size kits. Is there a web site to view stl1951's products? Do they take a standard say Quest mmx engine? Inquiring minds want to know........

Quest Aerospace manufactures Micro-Maxx motors and will be releasing more micro maxx kits in 2005. At present there are at least 6 other vendors offereing "kits" specifically for micro maxx motors. ASP, Pratt hobbies, QCR, Fliskits UFO's, Art Applewhites UFO's and now Microclassics.
If your looking for information on building scratch Downscale classices, Scale models, Competition type micros and Plastic model converstions, FAQ, tons of photos of models folks have built or plans for about 70 different models you can scratch build, launcher conversions, as well as all sorts of ground support equipement. Come join the MicroMaxRockets yahoo group. The groups files, photos and links sections are chock full of the who, what, where and how-to's for just about anything you'd like in Micro models.
Here's a pic of most of the commerically available parts. all you need add is 1/64th ply, 1/16" balsa or basswood or 110lb cardstock fins and your flyiing in no time;)

Back