MGM-39 Army Tactical Missile System (Army TACMS)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pem Tech

Notorious Member
Reaction score
Sometime back an individual commissioned us to develop a semi-scale model of the MGM-39 ATACMS. Short story long, once the planning was complete and parts were cut, the individual balked at the cost. The parts went into a box and were forgotten, until now.
This past week I dug them out and slapped her together.

ATACMS_0107x800.jpg

She is based on a 3" airframe, with a LOC NC, PML 3" to 2" TC, 1/8" ply fins and a 29mm MM. To allow for the length of longer 29mm motors I cut off all but 1.5" of the NC shoulder and epoxied a bulkhead about 4" aft of the tip. Having had more than one bulkhead pull out of a NC I reenforced the attachment with four small brass nails about the NC.

Other info:
21" long
~18 oz
1/4" LL's

Build and flight pics to follow.

Some nits:

It is MGM140 not M39.

The tunnel cover is wrong. It is too narrow, too rounded, not centered between the fins, and extends too far back. I wish I had a photo handy that showed some detail. But I shouldn't whine too much since for my HPR semi-scale model I just skipped it.

The tailcone and fins are also off.

Nothing that a nice paint job can't fix. :)

Some nits:

It is MGM140 not M39.

The tunnel cover is wrong. It is too narrow, too rounded, not centered between the fins, and extends too far back. I wish I had a photo handy that showed some detail. But I shouldn't whine too much since for my HPR semi-scale model I just skipped it.

The tailcone and fins are also off.

Nothing that a nice paint job can't fix. :)

Guilty on all counts.
I must have gotten the designations messed up.
:blush:

The tunnel cover was a last minute addition, and just used what I had onhand. Didn't catch that it was supposed to be centered until after I had attached it, the line drawing I used was a quartering view and my old eyes missed it. There was some difficulty finding scale information or even good images to go by. The tailcone is too short but I have been itching to use one of the PML TC's I had laying around. As for the fins, well, they were eyeballed. This was sportscale afterall...

:D

This is the paint scheme I have in mind.

1874.jpg

Last edited:
That is an accident, not a paint scheme.

The only rounds to be deliberately painted a particular color were for the very early flight tests. Later rounds were just whatever primer was used on the various parts. As the pictures show, quite a variety of primers have been used. Zinc chromate, white, iron oxide red, etc.

There are a few deliberately painted marks showing lifts points and such.

The lack of pictures of the tunnel cover isn't helped by most launch pictures being from the right side and the cover being on the left. (As loaded in the launch pod.) The missile does roll to put the tunnel cover on top but you never see that.

I found this video at youtube which does show a view from the left. But the resolution is not good and detail of the tunnel cover poor. It even looks like the aft portion of the cover is a different color than the front.

The cover of this brochure appears to be from that same launch off of the HIMARS launcher and is of much higher resolution but it doesn't show the tunnel cover.

That is an accident, not a paint scheme.

The only rounds to be deliberately painted a particular color were for the very early flight tests. Later rounds were just whatever primer was used on the various parts. As the pictures show, quite a variety of primers have been used. Zinc chromate, white, iron oxide red, etc.

There are a few deliberately painted marks showing lifts points and such.

The lack of pictures of the tunnel cover isn't helped by most launch pictures being from the right side and the cover being on the left. (As loaded in the launch pod.) The missile does roll to put the tunnel cover on top but you never see that.

I found this video at youtube which does show a view from the left. But the resolution is not good and detail of the tunnel cover poor. It even looks like the aft portion of the cover is a different color than the front.

The cover of this brochure appears to be from that same launch off of the HIMARS launcher and is of much higher resolution but it doesn't show the tunnel cover.

Thanks!

Any info is appreciated. Were you a part of the production or deployment of this beast?

Last edited:
Thanks!

Any info is appreciated. Were you a part of the production or deployment of this beast?

Neither. I worked on the TM/FTS (Telemetry/Flight Termination System) for a few years. Your replacement photo shows enough detail so that you can see where theTM/FTS cable plugged in (top center just in front of the motor case) and one of the FTS antennas. (A bit more than 90 degrees to the right of the connector.)

Layne...I think scale rockets that have scale flames get bonus points therefore, a K550 is in order. There is no L2 designation in that signature of yours and that needs to change. :dark:

A K550 is about 16" long and your rocket is 21" so don't give me that, "It's not gonna fit" excuse either.

-Dave

Last edited:
Layne...I think scale rockets that have scale flames get bonus points therefore, a K550 is in order. There is no L2 designation in that signature of yours and that needs to change. :dark:

A K550 is about 16" long and your rocket is 21" so don't give me that, "It's not gonna fit" excuse either.

-Dave

WOOT!
That would be a heck of a ride!

Neither. I worked on the TM/FTS (Telemetry/Flight Termination System) for a few years. Your replacement photo shows enough detail so that you can see where theTM/FTS cable plugged in (top center just in front of the motor case) and one of the FTS antennas. (A bit more than 90 degrees to the right of the connector.)

If you have any more techinical drawings or data I would be very pleased to have a copy.

Last edited:
Very nice! You beat me to it. This summer I created a Rocksim model, had the fins cut and all parts on hand, then became ill and it was put on hold. I'll post the Rocksim file shortly. I based the design on measurements made from the many ATACMS photos I found on-line. I found this site during those image searches:

https://escull.net/Projectes/ATACMS/ATACMS.htm

I've seen pics of that (probably older pics) and I was sure it had 5 fins.

I think it's used as a booster for the Boeing X-51a Waveruder.

I think.

Can anybody confirm or deny that?

I've seen pics of that (probably older pics) and I was sure it had 5 fins.

I think it's used as a booster for the Boeing X-51a Waveruder.

I think.

Can anybody confirm or deny that?

While a couple of extra fixed fins have been added for the X-51, the basic ATACMS has always been 4 fins.

Slapped some paint on the ATACMS this afternoon. Just flat black and OD green. Pics to come later tonight.

Here is the ATACMS with just a little flat green and black paint splashed on. Still have to paint the fins and TC, and do a little detailing.

SEE IMAGE BELOW

Last edited:
Whether they actually paint the production rounds or not, it still looks cool to see the missile painted.

While on the subject of scale, what do you think of modeling the fin-hinge-bumps? This design has few noticeable features, and those hinges seem relatively prominent due to the absence of much of anything else.

Or is that "too much" scale?

Whether they actually paint the production rounds or not, it still looks cool to see the missile painted.

While on the subject of scale, what do you think of modeling the fin-hinge-bumps? This design has few noticeable features, and those hinges seem relatively prominent due to the absence of much of anything else.

Or is that "too much" scale?

Nahhh, the hinges would be a nice touch. This is actually a flight test model so I am not too worried about details or finishing. WHen the concept is proven I'll build another and then turn an eye to the details. The hinges shouldn't be too much trouble, a bit of shaped bass wood would do the trick. Then there are all the reference markings and bits of verbage sprinkled about.
Got the TC and fins painted today, pics to follow.

Beautiful work Layne. I have always liked that design, and in fact I used that particular style fin on one of my own original design projects (you may have seen it)...

Bret

OK, TC and fins are done....
Details will follow as I find the time and patience...

ATACMS.jpg

Bret,
WHich design are you referring to? I think I have seen "stealth like" fins on the Nuclear Sledgehammer, but that is all that springs to mind.

Care to share?

Last edited:
Love it. Ever since seeing the ATACMS on an episode of "future weapons" I wanted to build one. It kinda reminds me of the V2 in some ways.

While recently at Ft. Sill for some training, we were in the simulator building doing basic call for fire. Without skipping a beat, I requested an ATACMS in my call for fire, and the technician came over the loud speaker actually giggling and said, "That'll have to be approved by batallion, but we can simulate the effect." Let me tell you, the building I called it in on, was leveled!!

Nice Work Pemtech!!! I'll be keeping my eye out, should you decide to put this into production.

Was that a Block I with 950 M-74 bomblets or a Block IA with 300 M-74 bomblets?

Either way I bet it was a heck of a show!

Thanks for the compliment, we are looking into the possibility of moving our ATACMS into production.

Love it. Ever since seeing the ATACMS on an episode of "future weapons" I wanted to build one. It kinda reminds me of the V2 in some ways.

While recently at Ft. Sill for some training, we were in the simulator building doing basic call for fire. Without skipping a beat, I requested an ATACMS in my call for fire, and the technician came over the loud speaker actually giggling and said, "That'll have to be approved by batallion, but we can simulate the effect." Let me tell you, the building I called it in on, was leveled!!

Nice Work Pemtech!!! I'll be keeping my eye out, should you decide to put this into production.

Some basic outline information scaled to 3" diameter...

The nose tip itself is not exactly at station zero as that is located at the tip of the Von Karman profile and the tip is slightly rounded.

Nose tip: 0
Nose cone/payload skin joint: 3.33"
End of VK profile: 9.27"
Payload/motor case joint: 10.1"
start of 9 degree boattail: 17.6"
Motor case/tailcone joint: 18.2"
base: 19.8"

Was that a Block I with 950 M-74 bomblets or a Block IA with 300 M-74 bomblets? :D Either way I bet it was a heck of a show!.

I couldn't tell ya, I'm not a "redleg", that was during some annual training, going over basic warrior tasks & drills.
Were you artillery or ADA??

Good news on the possible kit. I'll be watchin':eyepop:

The nose tip itself is not exactly at station zero as that is located at the tip of the Von Karman profile and the tip is slightly rounded.

base: 19.8"

Thank you for sharing! That gives me something to start playing with.
Any chance you can release detailed geom for the fins?

Originally Posted by UhClem

base: 19.8

Thank you for sharing! That gives me something to start playing with.
Any chance you can release detailed geom for the fins?

I second that emotion!
Mucho thanks...
And fin dimensions would be greatly appreciated.

I couldn't tell ya, I'm not a "redleg", that was during some annual training, going over basic warrior tasks & drills.
Were you artillery or ADA??

Good news on the possible kit. I'll be watchin':eyepop:

HA!
:roll:

Neither....
Just a geek that loves technical information on weapons systems.

We'll keep you updated....

Well here is a great example of 6 degrees of separation.

Ripping CD collection to computer.
Got to Pink Floyd (that's like my 7,000 song)
Wanted to make certain I had all of the albums in the discography as I had thought and searched on line. (I do)
Saw a listing of videos produced
Welcome to the Machine (one of all time favorites) produced by Gerald Scarfe
Searched on You Tube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCfVFxRsKQc

Watched the video and remembered this post.

Enjoy..... Two of my favorite things in one place Projectiles and Pink Floyd.

Happy New Year

Last edited:
COOL ! Kind of like the 1812 Overture......but with a modern twist.

Nice job !! Gotta love Floyd :headbang::headbang:

Paul

Back