METRA troubles

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The decision will be made by March, when the insurance renews.
If we can 't find a suitable field, things may change.

That's all I can say for now.

JD

It's almost March...fearing the worst.

I need an EX field that won't require a hotel stay!

Man hopefully something will come along fairly soon, itching to fly and mdra is a little far for regular flying. Thanks for all the hard work on trying to secure us a place to fly!! Hopefully it'll pay off!

If you can skip the EX stuff and fly commercial, you are all welcome to come up to Maine to fly under NAR rules. We have a waiver to 10K AMSL.

It is a long day trip, but it is worth it. So when the snow melts come on up and launch with us.

No EX is the deal breaker for me along with too far away.
It's further than going the MDRA.

We might have something in the works but, it will take time.

JD

If you can skip the EX stuff and fly commercial, you are all welcome to come up to Maine to fly under NAR rules. We have a waiver to 10K AMSL.

It is a long day trip, but it is worth it. So when the snow melts come on up and launch with us.

No EX is the deal breaker for me along with too far away.
It's further than going the MDRA.

We might have something in the works but, it will take time.

JD

Well I hope you do find something that works for the club, and get your waiver back. The offer stands to those want to come north in the mean time.

I'd be happy with 5K waiver. We never had to call in anything below 5K before so maybe thats an option?

There's CTRA Narconn and their launch in just under 2 weeks. I'll be there. Wish they could do EX!

JD,

How helpful would it be if a few guys scoured Google Maps looking for large plots of land? We could share the coordinates and identify the land owner for the METRA board to contact.

This is just an idea, but perhaps there's something better we can be doing? Either way, I'd like to encourage other METRA members to think of ways we can all help.

Maybe its just me, but I'd rather be pitching in then twiddling my thumbs while a few guys carry this burden.

Thanks,
Mike

I just got the email with the good news! The location is about the same distance from me (about 2 hrs) but I'm wondering if we will lose members from CT and upstate NY due to the longer drive.

I just got the email with the good news! The location is about the same distance from me (about 2 hrs) but I'm wondering if we will lose members from CT and upstate NY due to the longer drive.

Please post? I never got on the mailing list :/

Yeah thats about a 5 hour drive for me in CT. I won't be making the trek for a 5k waiver. CTRA just got a 6K waiver which is about the same drive as METRA was for me. Thanks to Randy and the Metra BoD for finding another field though.

Yeah thats about a 5 hour drive for me in CT. I won't be making the trek for a 5k waiver. CTRA just got a 6K waiver which is about the same drive as METRA was for me. Thanks to Randy and the Metra BoD for finding another field though.

I'm not sure if I would be comfortable flying to 6,000' at CTRA. Not saying that I won't try it, just that I'm not comfortable doing it...

CTRA is about 1.25 hours for me. I won't complain!

Yeah just cause its there doesn't mean you have to use it, conditions have to be right.

Members of METRA

Great News !!!! Metropolitan Rocketry Club (METRA) has a New Waiver for 2013

METRA sought and received approval to conduct launches at a new site, in Manheim, PA and we have an approved waiver of 5,000 feet.

New Site (look it up on Google Maps):

1978 - 2098 Junction Road
Manheim, PA 17545

We continue to explore with the FAA flying at Pine Island in Middletown. Temporarily, Manheim, PA will be our home.

Many, many, many thanks to Randy Appelbaum and others, whose tireless efforts and time spent on the phone and traveling brought about this great news for METRA!

Keep your eyes open for announcements about a date and details for a first launch!

David Greenapple
METRA Board of Directors

(pasted from email)

Last edited:
Glad to hear METRA has a new field. Unfortunately it just under a 5 hour drive for me from my house. So I will be mostly flying with CTRA - NARCONN (fairly close and my old friend's from way back) and URRG (great wavier and still closer than METRA) . But glad they have a field again. I will miss the Pine Island field and METRA Folks. Had a lot good times flying there. :smile:

Cheers
John ..
TRA #1017

Last edited:
Great to hear that they have a new field, but it will now be 3.5 hours away. Visits will be few and far between.
I miss Pine Island....

That's great news, but it's now 4 hours and 48 minutes for me. Distance has more than doubled. Looks like it's going to be CTRA and CMASS. I will miss Pine Island.

The new field is 2 hours and 45 minutes away, while MDRA is 2 hours 50 minutes for a larger? field and 16,900' waiver. I will just hope for Pine Island.

This almost seems like a resurgence for NEPRA. Like many others in the Northeast this is too far for what it offers. Just another hour further and I would be at MDRA.

I am glad the folks at METRA are working so diligently to hold things together though.

That still beats my trip to MDRA 3.5 hrs or 211 miles one way.
Pine Island is 30 miles from my doorstep.
The new field is 169 miles.... no small trip for me either.

Here's the e-mail that was sent out to everyone on the list:

"Members of METRA

Great News !!!! Metropolitan Rocketry Club (METRA) has a New Waiver for 2013

METRA sought and received approval to conduct launches at a new site, in Manheim, PA and we have an approved waiver of 5,000 feet.

New Site (look it up on Google Maps):

1978 - 2098 Junction Road
Manheim, PA 17545

We continue to explore with the FAA flying at Pine Island in Middletown. Temporarily, Manheim, PA will be our home.

Many, many, many thanks to Randy Appelbaum and others, whose tireless efforts and time spent on the phone and traveling brought about this great news for METRA!

Keep your eyes open for announcements about a date and details for a first launch!

David Greenapple
METRA Board of Directors
Mobile: (203) 451-9275"

NEPRA was about 30 minute drive for me, still miss it after all these years. Went to METRA 2 years ago and was amazed at the pine island field! Got me thinking of traveling there to fly. Now that I have the time to fly... they lost the waiver, just my luck. Went to CTRA last year and while it was nice, I still liked METRA's field more. When I heard they were looking west of pine island I thought I would be in luck and have the site closer to me. Well.. they went too far west. Pine Island was about 1.5 hr drive for me, now the new field is about 2 hours away. I can get to CTRA in about the same time, or go another 1.5 hrs to MDRA. I wish we could get NEPRA back in business.

wow it's 10 miles closer (70miles) than the MDRA field (80 miles) hmm might have to drive up there to meet my northern friends!

Tom

NEPRA was about 30 minute drive for me, still miss it after all these years.

I went to a few of the launches out in Nicholson PA ?? Very scenic drive for me from NYC - still remember that
huge railroad bridge right outside of town.

Bob
TRA6797

Back