METRA troubles

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schuyler

Reaction score
I was very disapointed to read the email about losing our waiver yesterday. Until we find another location I'm wondering if it's possible to negotiate a lower waiver limit for Pine Island for the short term. It would be better to fly HPR to low altitudes than none at all. Any thoughts?

Sorry to her that. I just got a membership there and had fun at NERRF. Hate to see a great club loose its field.

Good luck in trying to get a new waiver or new field.

While I am not speaking officially, I have heard that the METRA BOD is actively working on a solution to this unfortunate situation. They are looking at both alternate sites and ways to re-negotiate a waiver that the FAA can live with.

Have faith folks, these guys are doing the best they can!

Last edited:
I had to miss NERRF this year and I didn't renew my membership for this year so I didn't get the notice. I looked at the METRA site and I didn't see anything. Are they completely shut down at this time? Thanks

Hi folks,

We found out about the waiver right after NERRF. The board has been in constant discussions with the FAA, Tripoli, each other and anyone else we think can help.

This is not the first time we lost our waiver. We got it back last time, so we can hope we can do it again, aned be grateful for the reprieve we've already been flying under.

Speaking of grateful, on behalf of all the officiers at METRA, we'd appreciate it if you don't speak to any officials about this issue on METRA's behalf. Right now, we need to project a unified, clear voice to the FAA and not confuse the issue. So please let the officiers handle this. If you'd like to help, e-mail me at [email protected], or get in touch with whichever officier you're most friendly with and let the elected officials serve as your go-betweens in these discussions. That's the job you elected us to do.

It's important to remember we didn't do anything wrong. Nobody busted the waiver, the FAA isn't mad at us, it's just that the airspace plan has put a lot of heavy traffic right over our field. If you heard anything to the contrary, I was there and it's not true. So please, avoid any second-guessing, finger-pointing and blaming. Stay positive.

Public safety has to come first. The FAA has to get that right every time, no exceptions. The FAA has bent over backwards to accomodate us, and I'm grateful for the generous allowances they've been giving us, year after year. They have a very tough job, and I have nothing but praise and admiration for the work they've been doing and the leeway they've given us.

Staying positive, I'd like to point out that the high altitude waiver is all we lost. We still have one of the finest flying fields in the northeast, a seatainer full of top-notch equipment, a large and energetic membership and our club. We can still fly, we just can't go as high as we used to.

It is our intention to hold our July launch at Pine Island, business as usual, except that it will be strictly a low power event. We're scrambling to work out the details, and you'll be seeing more information on the METRA web site soon. We urge you to show up with your low power stuff, leave your high power at home, and fly anyway! If you don't have any small stuff, I will personally open the bucket of rockets to any kid of any age that shows up and wants to fly.

Just be patient, be calm, be positive, and keep flying!

As Randy would say on behalf of all of us, "thanks for your support".

George N. George
TRA 129
NAR 24025
METRA BoD

Very well said, and good luck!

Scott Costigan
President,
Maine Missile Math & Science Club
NAR Section 727

Can anyone provide some insight on what the expected outcome of the discussions with the FAA is? For example, you state that the High Altitude Waiver was lost, does this mean the high altitude windows, or the waiver for HPR entirely? I am glad to hear that the launch site is still available to us.

I am planning a relocation back to the Capital Region in September (moving away from MDRA :-() and would love to get back to flying with METRA. I really hope that the waiver, or some portion of the previous waiver is restored!

Thanks for all of your hard work BOD.

I echo Dan's sentiments, Thanks to the BOD for all their efforts.

Bob
TRA6797
Metra member

The high power waiver was pulled. This means no HPR flights. Currently we are limited to model rockets, ie/ < 125g propellant, pad weight < 1500g.

It is not known what the likely result of discussions with the FAA are yet. It won't be easy.

While it hasn't been updated yet, the METRA website will be updated with the status when we know more:
https://www.metrarocketclub.org/

Thanks.

Hi folks,

We are having a board meeting tonight. We are launching this weekend under the class 1 rules: 125 gms propellant, 3.3 lb weight limit. See https://www.nar.org/pdf/FARrockets0209.pdf for class 1 details, and https://www.nar.org/SandT/pdf/CombinedMotorsByImpulse.pdf for eligible motors. (Tripoli's web site has this info, too...)

Most H motors fit this definition. Only a handful of "full H" motors exceed this propellant limit. Given what most people fly, versus what most people like to see fly, I estimate we can accomodate about 75% of our normal complement of flights - so there's very little reason to stay home.

In fact, there's a very good reason to show up even if you don't feel like you want to fly - the club needs your support, now more than ever. If ever there was a launch you should - no, not should - MUST!!! - attend, this is it!

We are at a crossroads. We still have a field, we still have our club, we still have our members, and we can still fly. Yes, it's going to be different. That's a given. What's not a given is that this "different" won't be good. Now's your chance to be on the ground floor of the new, hopefully better, METRA. If you've ever wanted to see something change in the club, or wanted to make something happen, this moment of transition is your opportunity!

Tom Blazanin once said that HPR was 1/3 flying, 1/3 building and 1/3 social. We're not just members, we're friends. So come, hang out with your mates, chew the fat, gossip, catch up, have a good time.

George N. George
TRA 129
NAR 24025
AMA 173640
Metra BoD

We are flying this weekend on Sunday only. Please see George's message above for the rules. We will also restrict altitude to 3000'.

Please come, bring your rockets, and have some fun! For some, that means dust off some of your older and smaller rockets. For others its business as usual.

Sunday looks to be a great weather day as well.

Hope to see you there!

Another clarification: is METRA still continuing with their independent insurance? It's a stretch for me to drive 2 hours for a launch that is under class 1 restrictions, and it won't happen if there's no chance for EX.

Dan, thanks for bringing that up, I should have mentioned that. Our insurance is still intact, so EX is still fine, as long you stay under 125g of propellant. I'll have some little EX motors as well.

We are flying Sunday, and EX is permissible. We ar voluntarily keeping the altitude under 3000 feet. Class 1 requires takeoff weight under 53 oz/3.3 lbs and total propellant under 125 grams - EX is not addressed under class 1, so it is permissible.

I'll be there! Looking forward to Sunday. I wouldn't miss it. :)

Thanks for still holding a launch! I know many of us appreciate that and certainly appreciate all the hard work the board has been putting in to address the recent turn of events.

Jim Z

I wish you all the best of luck ! Weather working something out with the FAA or finding a new spot to fly from I hope you find a good solution and are able to continue your high power launches. Best of luck , Jim Scott

METRA Folks:

AS far as METRA's website posting for tomorrow upcoming launch it is kind of messed up..

Its reads

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Next Launch 7/22:"

"Sunday 7/22 at Pine Island - Max Impulse "G" (H97 as well) Looking forward to Sunday!"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AS George G. has correctly stated here previously, there are a lot of H motors that can be flow that contain 125 gram or less propellant.

So as were flying under FAA Class 1 rules. The max total impulse is not a G. Assuming of course you are at least Level 1 certified flyer.

The second issue is the H97 is one of those H motors that doesn't fit into FAA class 1 definitions with 137 grams of propellent so it could not be used at this launch!

Cheers
John ..
TRA #1017

Last edited:
Sorry for the confusion on the web site. Communication with the person doing the updates obviously got mangled.

The launch was a great time, and we had a lot of people show up to fly rockets. We even had a large scout troupe armed with a substantial arsenal of Alpha III's. The weather was perfect. We need to get more screamers though, the rocket eating soy bean plants were getting well fed!

Thanks to all who came. We'll see you next month!

It was a fun day and I thank the club for holding the launch! Even though my LOC Onyx suddenly developed a fear of flying and refused to take to the air after numerous attempts, and an exploding Estes E12 trashed another rocket, it was a great day hanging out with my fellow rocketeers. Lots of cool people and really cool launches! :) See you all next month!

Jim Z

Bravo guys, Bravo...Stepping up and making the best of a less than ideal situation is showing the best we have to offer as a community.

:cheers:

Post LDRS, I could not make it (too tired and can't find a darned thing...). I really need to figure out how I can get out there with my screwed up schedule.

The Metra web site has a new prefect listed, Any updates on the lost waiver?? Wanted to fly a K and L on Sat.

The Metra web site has a new prefect listed, Any updates on the lost waiver?? Wanted to fly a K and L on Sat.

We are in a trainsition phase. I can't give you the details yet, because things are in flux and my crystal ball is cloudy, but we're having our August launch, and expect an announcement from Randy soon.

If you're up, and reading this tonight (sunday) go look at the Mars Rover landing instead!

So basically you know nothing lol, My post was for the clubs benefit not mine.

Last edited:
Hey Gary,

No K or L motors at the next launch. We will be under the same rules, max 125g of propellant, 3.3 lbs rocket pad weight (Pay no attention to the max impulse statement on the web site - its just wrong; hopefully we'll get it fixed since its pretty @$%* confusing). If that changes, we'll announce it, but don't count on it.

-Andy

This si the fear of every club. We will hope and pray for the return of your waiver.

Back