METRA Launch May 31st and June 1st

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mick2b

Reaction score
METRA members,

This weekend, May 31 - June 1, we will have our next launch, and the weather looks good. Please note that we will be flying off a different field than last time. The flying field is located to the left, ~1/3rd of the way after turning onto the farm road off Route 12. There is an entrance dirt path here. All cars must be parked in this area, and not on the main farm road. The exact range head arrangement will be determined once we arrive Saturday morning - flyers and vendors are asked not to set up until a layout decision is made by the board, or you may be asked to relocate. While crops should not be a problem, tracking is always a good idea if you have it.

We hope everyone can come, and join us for some rockets, have some of Lloyd's lemonade, and have some fun! We will post a final GO or NO GO for the launch to the website on Friday between 3 and 5 pm.
Additional notes:
We must have help seting up Saturday morning, and picking up Sunday afternoon. If you plan to fly, you need to plan to help out too! We plan to meet at the container at 8:30 AM Saturday. Clean up may begin early on Sunday. Please do not only show up late on Sunday to fly; come early before cleanup.
Please keep your speed on the site to under 10 MPH! Follow the signs to the launch area.
Its YOUR club. Everyone should pitch in with at least one job: setup on Saturday, cleanup on Sunday, RSO, LCO. Its not fair to ask that the same few do most of the work at every launch. Please help out!
If you haven't yet, please renew your membership. You need to be paid up and have filled out a waiver form. PayPal is a good way(preferred before 7 pm on Friday), or on the field. Do it now before you forget !!!!
https://metrarocketclub.org/join-renew-membership/
You can also download and fill out flight cards before coming to the field:
https://metrarocketclub.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/flightcard.pdf

Flight fees for this launch will be $10 for one day or $15 for both days.

Our food vendor, Lloyd will be there both days. AMW and Wildman CT will also be there. Please visit our on-site vendors, so that they can continue to support our club!
Our waiver is 4500 feet AGL. The impulse limit is an "M" as long as you can show that you will not exceed the waiver.
We will be flying under Tripoli Research Rules. To fly EX, you must be level 2 and a Tripoli member. NAR and Tripoli members are welcome to fly commercial motors up to their certification level. Per the TRA Research rules, people under 18 years old not permitted on high power range (except for certification with mentor).
Don't just wander onto another's property. There may be some onions in the back field. Under no circumstances can you go on these feilds. Also the area where the dirt piles/packaging are off limits. If your rockets land in any of these areas, see a board member and we will get it back. We need to maintain good relations with the neighbors, and at least on is VERY hostile towards rocketeers.
Those that ordered Loki reloads on the club group purchase can find Andy Cook on Saturday to get them. This was a great deal from Loki, and we will do it again. Please join us next time! Let Andy know when you think a good time for the next group purchase might be.
See you on the field !

--
Metra Rocket Club

Andy Cook, Prefect
Randy Appelbaum, President
Jeff Davenport, Vice President
David Greenapple, Treasurer
George George, Secretary

BOARD of DIRECTORS
Mickey Spain
Craig Lynch
David Mosher
Jeff Fried

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Der Red Magg.jpg
Hopefully ready for this weekend. Der Red Magg. 5.5" diameter, DD. Since its made from Loc tubing, its light, so plan to fly on a 54/1200 J to keep under the waiver.

Last edited:
Gonna try to make it out there this weekend. Looks like perfect weather for a launch!

weather has sunday's winds maxing out at 3 miles an hour....count them, three. Sunny and seventies as well, it doesn't get better then that. See you at the field!

What a fantastic launch,,,,,,,
I had a dynamite time today....
You guys sure do work hard......
Great field..........
Great time...............
Great club...........
Great guys.............
I wish I could go back for Sunday...................
Thank you so much...............

Teddy

Unfortunately I couldn't attend either day. So much stuff going on here at the homefront. I am sure there were many great flights. Hope to see some pics and videos.

It was a great launch!

Thanks to all the vendors and flyers who came and made for a great time.

I flew my der Red Magg twice on an EX 54/1200 white J motor and a Loki J350-SF:
View attachment 173859View attachment 173860

There are many other photos on the METRA facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/200925303293346/

Hey Andy,

I got a text Sunday from my dad 2000 miles away saying he decided to go fly at METRA, and had a perfect flight of his most recent pyramid iteration. You didn't happen to get any pics of his flight? I'm sure he'd love to see them.

Hope all you guys are well -- I haven't been to METRA in years, miss the good old days. Though the sites in Texas are just a pinch bigger.

Regards

Steve H

Hey Steve,

Sorry, but I whiffed on your pop's flight. Was looking at the wrong pad like a doofus - someone put the blue pads close and the reds far away, and it was more than my brain could handle apparently. It was a great flight though, went higher & faster than I expected, and both parts recovered under chutes.

I had to do a double take when your Dad registered. Form had your name on it. LOL.

-Andy

Back