metallics masking question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Howie

Reaction score
I'm trying to paint two different color metallics, and the masking tape is taking
the shine off the first color.

I wonder, if I cover the first color with future, will the masking tape leave the
shine? Will the future dull the metallic paint? Anyone know?
Thanks.

I have use future on metallics plenty of times and it has never dulled the finish. It always made it better. Did the tape lift any of the paint or did it just dull the gloss?

What kind of tape are you using?
I use Tamiya tape and haven't had any trouble.
Future works really well with metallic paints. Gives it depth and a high gloss shine.
A coat of Future should bring the shine back from you tape.

I have use future on metallics plenty of times and it has never dulled the finish. It always made it better. Did the tape lift any of the paint or did it just dull the gloss?

Kind of. I doesn't peel it off, just turns the silver to gray, and a gray film on
the tape. I don't remember the name of the tape, but it's the blue stuff. :eek:

A little more informations is required Mike.
Is your silver metallic a mirror finish product or a "metal Flake" metallic. if the former it can not be masked at all, or covered with anything even future. Metal flake metallics are a completely different story, a coat of just about any clear will allow your taping to proceed.

Last edited:
When painting any metallics that require masking, I shoot a coat of clear over the 1st color, let it cure for about a week then wet sand with 400 grit and mask. Then shoot the second color, unmask and then more clear.

What is the model number on the can?

Last edited:
The blue tape is relatively high tack, and a lower tack tape could work better. There's some pretty expensive purple stuff from 3M at big box stores. I also have started using frisket film (check craft stores), which has the added bonus of coming in large sheets that can run through a printer for printing complex marking patterns.

As noted above, "metal" type paint (no flakes, supposed to look like a sheet of aluminum/gold/silver) generally doesn't like any masking tape and also gets really hinky with clear coats. Metallic (flaky sparkly bits in it that make it glitter) is fine to mask.

I would really think trying to apply a future or a clear coat to the base coat could be a problem unless you're also masking THAT so that the clear doesn't get onto the area where the contrasting color goes. Paint won't bind well to a clear coat.

If you mean that you cant mask over "metal Flake" metallics or clear over them then tell that to all of the custom paint guys.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=257556&page=10

You shouldn't future and then paint on top of it.

I said if it's a mirror finish matellic not just a metal flake. Mike didn't tell us exactly what he was trying to mask over. Sounds like the typical lifting of the mirror finish from rattle-can mirror matellics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why don't you READ before Making snide comments newbie. I said if it's a mirror finish matellic not just a metal flake. Mike didn't tell us exactly what he was trying to mask over. Sounds like the typical lifting of the mirror finish from rattle-can mirror matellics.

I don't know about "mirror finish". It's just rattle can Duplicolor "metallic silver".

I want to put Future on the area that would be covered by the masking tape,
not the area that would get the second color (Duplicolor metallic gold). I was
just hoping that the Future would stop the tape from lifting some of the silver
and graying it.

I don't have any experience with Duplicolor paints, but I have masked Rust-Oleum metallics with good results. (and Future makes them look awesome :D)

The only thing I can add for consideration is that there are different types of blue painters tape (at least 2 that I have seen). One is a high-tack "multi-purpose" type tape, and the other (the one I use) is labed as low-medium adhesion for delicate surfaces. It still gives me very clean lines, and hasn't messed with any paint I've used it on yet... more to ponder I guess :confused2:

Hope you find something that works

I don't know about "mirror finish". It's just rattle can Duplicolor "metallic silver".

I want to put Future on the area that would be covered by the masking tape,
not the area that would get the second color (Duplicolor metallic gold). I was
just hoping that the Future would stop the tape from lifting some of the silver
and graying it.

In General Mike:
Metallic rattlecan paints are very different than Metal Flake colors. The tiny platelettes float to the surface to form a sort of shiney surface. anything you put on it including your fingers removes a little of this "shine". To date after extensive testing of all sorts of paints and coatings including future NONE have been able to keep the undlaying shiney surface from going completely grey on contact.
I have a basement full of samples from all kinds of manufacturers rattle cans without a single one that can be clear coated at all other then Alsa Corps. Killer Chrome system that we can't really afford. gold, copper, Brass, and bronze Metallics all do pretty much the same thing.

Best advice I can give is to go with Metal flake colors rather then staight metallics. Rustoleum has several that seem to work just fine I don't have the specific names at the moment but they never involve the term chrome or mirror finish.
Heres a picture of a model I painted a long time ago but still can't touch or the finish will be gone. and my Deep Space Transport that was Krylon Silver metallic until it was clear coated...becoming instantly grey.

063-sm_Deep Space Transport 3C_04-29-90.jpg

It's just rattle can Duplicolor "metallic silver".

Was it the Metal Flake, Instant Chrome or one of the Touch-Up Paints? Do you have a product number and how long did you let it sit before you masked? I'm trying to think but I don't think I've ever had Duplicolor lift up with the tape unless the tape was left on there for a long period of time. I've used their Touchup, Blackout and engine paints in the past and have been very happy with them on cars and many other things.

https://www.duplicolor.com/index.html

You could try to do what you said with the future but it would be very hard to mask just the future. You could also give it a light touchup and spray it with the Duplicolor clear to seal things up. Then mask and spray the other color since it will be compatible with their clear.

Maybe you could post a picture if you are able to get a clear photo of the area with the issues.

I never used acrylic or lacquer automotive paints or have the time and patients to paint like those guys so I can't say what each one of those guys do. I do have to say with a good quality automotive paint (enamel or urethane) there is no reason to clear between shades.

But this is Mike's thread.;)

it's not a bad idea to do a light clearcoat when masking between different colors.especially metallics. it protects the metallics from tape damage

Unless you're painting different metallic colors, paint metallics last. Then you don't have to tape over them.

If you're careful, you can put paper or something similar under the entire sticky side of the tape (still leaving a nice clean edge) for simple wraps. Pull the tape tightly around and it should paint a clean line. Then no adhesive will mar or remove the metallic paint finish.

Damp newsprint, or postit notes can work over metallic paint as a mask.

kj

Back