Metal-tipped nose question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antares JS

Professional Amateur
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have a feeling this is a dumb question, but it's an expensive kit and I dont want to screw it up. I got a Rocketman CSXT Space Shot kit, and it's the first kit I've had with a metal-tipped nose. My question is why does it have a threaded hole in the bottom and this big screw? Also, is the tip meant to be epoxied on? I was surprised the metal tip was a separate piece in the first place.

20210224_180823.jpg

Following.....I’ve not had this yet, either! We can both be educated together!

You should have a washer that is larger than the opening at the top of the cone. You put the screw through the washer, install from the bottom and screw into the metal tip. It pulls them together.

You can also replace the screw with a threaded rod and then use an eye nut. You can then use that to tie a shock cord.

Last edited:
I thought maybe it left open the option of using an eye bolt to hold the tip on and attach recovery harness to the eye. No need for bulkhead.

You can epoxy it on if you want, you can also not epoxy it on if you don't want.

The threaded attachment point allows you to either fasten it on as is, or use it as an attachment point for a nose bay (threaded rod from tip, down to a bulkhead)

Usually there's also a washer that goes on the screw that gets jammed against the taper of the nosecone.

Wow, three answers at once...

I'll see myself out.

You should have a washer that is larger than the opening at the top of the cone. You put the screw through the washer, install from the bottom and screw into the metal tip. It pulls them together.

You can also replace the screw with a threaded rod and then use an eye nut. You can then use this to tie a shock cord.

You may also need a long 30" screw driver to access the screw once you have the nose cone full assembled.

I would epoxy it on... I have had them come loose and get lost. Put some around the shoulder of the tip, and some on the threads of the screw (after you find the washer that's supposed to go in there).

Kuririn, what's the scale model in the top left of the photo and the squatty one in the bottom right?
Bottom right is a Bullet Bobby, I’d say......
Ding ding ding. give Todd a prize.
Launch Lab Bullet Bobby and Rocketarium Roland SAM 3.
Fun builds each in their own way.
Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

I had no washer in my kit, I figured there was meant to be one.
I decided to make my nose cone glueless, used a jam nut with blue thread lock on the tip and tossed the screw in my spare parts bin.

Last edited:
Hm, I don't recall seeing a big fender washer-looking part, but I'll take another look at the hardware bags later today. There was, however, a fiberglass bulkhead whose purpose was mysterious. Maybe that's what it's for.

I like the idea of using it as an anchor point for putting, say, a tracker in the nose. However, my question then becomes whether having that metal tip right above the tracker (let's say, a Marco Polo transmitter) will mess up the tracker signal.

Pardon my ignorance, electronics and RF stuff has always been voodoo to me.

If I remember correctly, one club doesn't allow obviously metal nosecone tips at their flying site to satisfy the land owner. The hosting club suggests the workaround of painting the metal nosecone tip so it matches the nosecone and one can fly.

Kurt

If I remember correctly, one club doesn't allow obviously metal nosecone tips at their flying site to satisfy the land owner. The hosting club suggests the workaround of painting the metal nosecone tip so it matches the nosecone and one can fly.

Kurt

Unless that club is MDRA, I'm good. And I would really rather NOT paint it since this rocket is a scale model of a rocket that did have a metal tip.

Unless that club is MDRA, I'm good. And I would really rather NOT paint it since this rocket is a scale model of a rocket that did have a metal tip.
No, it's Argonia, I think.

BTW, I always run a length of threaded rod into mine and down and out through the NC bulk plate. I then use a nylon-insert nut to hold it on, and a U-bolt as the harness attachment point. If you attach a harness to an eyebolt that is holding the NC tip on, then when the harness spins, it will unthread the eyebolt and everything will come apart.

Stop by my van at Red Glare if you want to see examples.

No, it's Argonia, I think.

BTW, I always run a length of threaded rod into mine and down and out through the NC bulk plate. I then use a nylon-insert nut to hold it on, and a U-bolt as the harness attachment point. If you attach a harness to an eyebolt that is holding the NC tip on, then when the harness spins, it will unthread the eyebolt and everything will come apart.

Stop by my van at Red Glare if you want to see examples.

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. I don't think I will have a tracker in time for Red Glare, but I think I will set this nose up so that I can add one later.

So the hosting club is purposely disregarding land owner wishes. I get why they choose to do so but we all know where this is going to lead.
Yes, through a car windshield or possibly kill someone.....metal is not supposed to be used....unless of course your launching this at BR.

metal is not supposed to be used....unless of course your launching this at BR.

None of that is true.

From the Tripoli Safety Code, NAR is no different.--

Tripoli allows certified members, as well as certified NAR members, to attend our launches and safely launch rockets that are "made of paper, wood, fiberglass, or plastic." Their rockets may also be made of a "minimum amount of metallic parts" in whatsoever percentages "necessary for airframe integrity dependent upon the installed total impulse, and whose primary use is for purposes of education, recreation, and sporting activities." Whatever material is used in the rocket’s construction, the rocket and materials must conform "to the other requirements" of the Safety Code. Undergirding and overarching all of this, "a high power rocket shall be constructed in such a manner and with suitable materials to withstand the operating stresses and retain structural integrity under conditions expected or known to be encountered in flight." For the purposes of this policy, the flight includes placement on the launch pad, the launch sequence, flight to apogee, descent, and landing. The practice of constructing a rocket to withstand "operating stresses and retain structural integrity" while anticipating possible unknown conditions is not discouraged.

Last edited:
Thanks for the sage advise! I've made a mental note to never do that!!

None of that is true.

From the Tripoli Safety Code, NAR is no different.--

Tripoli allows certified members, as well as certified NAR members, to attend our launches and safely launch rockets that are "made of paper, wood, fiberglass, or plastic." Their rockets may also be made of a "minimum amount of metallic parts" in whatsoever percentages "necessary for airframe integrity dependent upon the installed total impulse, and whose primary use is for purposes of education, recreation, and sporting activities." Whatever material is used in the rocket’s construction, the rocket and materials must conform "to the other requirements" of the Safety Code. Undergirding and overarching all of this, "a high power rocket shall be constructed in such a manner and with suitable materials to withstand the operating stresses and retain structural integrity under conditions expected or known to be encountered in flight." For the purposes of this policy, the flight includes placement on the launch pad, the launch sequence, flight to apogee, descent, and landing. The practice of constructing a rocket to withstand "operating stresses and retain structural integrity" while anticipating possible unknown conditions is not discouraged.
OK, so he’s afraid the nose cone will melt from the speed......:). structurally sound no doubt...safe is another thing. Wish him luck and pray the recovery system works perfect.

OK, so he’s afraid the nose cone will melt from the speed......:). structurally sound no doubt...safe is another thing. Wish him luck and pray the recovery system works perfect.

I'd like you to have a learning moment by asking this question-

Is a 5lb rocket falling from 5000' with a metal tip more or less dangerous than a 5lb rocket falling from 5000' with a smooshy foam nerf tip?

Back