Metal Earth

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
*Finally* finished my C-3PO:
3po.jpg
There were a couple of steps in that one (involving the head) that almost defeated me. As it is, I got the arms and hands at the wrong angles (although not too bad) and in a couple of choice spots I gave up and simply folded some tabs rather than slot them all through. Fortunately, as display pieces, these don't need to be rock-solid, so he'll be fine just sitting on the shelf keeping R2D2 company.

If that was the first one I did, it would have been the last. :oops:

Next up, Space Shuttle Orbiter.

I got the arms and hands at the wrong angles (although not too bad) and in a couple of choice spots I gave up and simply folded some tabs rather than slot them all through.
I've built one of these too, but it's been a long time. Looking at your picture I don't see anything that doesn't look correct so whatever shortcuts or mistakes you made you did a great job with them! It looks great to me!

I've built one of these too, but it's been a long time. Looking at your picture I don't see anything that doesn't look correct so whatever shortcuts or mistakes you made you did a great job with them! It looks great to me!
Hmm, looking at it now, maybe it's only the left hand I got wrong (180 degrees off)... my spatial reasoning failed me when trying to interpret the instructions there. Most pieces can only go in one way, but not all, as I discovered. :)

I also feel like the right arm is hanging at the wrong angle, but I'm not sure what happened there (I was unaware of any mistakes when I built that arm.)

Fortunately, arm position is an area where it is a bit forgiving. Which is good because there's no way to undo and redo on these things. :)

My youngest has TONS of Metal Earths.......a couple of battleships that are amazing, the lunar lander, buildings, aircraft, and he just finished a Kawasaki sport bike that is impressive. Neat models, and occupies his brain while on "learning from home". The learning doesn't take him long, so........

I found the lunar module somewhat challenging, though my eyesight isn’t what it used to be. I started it a couple of years ago, then it sat for a while. Just finished it recently.
nice! I have one that I still haven't started

I keep meaning to build some of these. I've done some PaperNano paper kits, which are similar but different.

Makes me glad I still had my old EtchMate bending jig from when I did more photoetch work on scale models. Sounds like it would be super useful for a metal earth kit.

I keep meaning to build some of these. I've done some PaperNano paper kits, which are similar but different.
They're very satisfying to build! Careful, before you know it you'll have built a dozen of these and have a dozen unbuilt kits waiting on you. Sort of like your other hobby.

Do they take long to build? I might try one.

Do they take long to build? I might try one.
It varies. :)

I would recommend starting with an easier one, if you can identify it as such. Also, I found this video extremely helpful getting started:

I didn't purchase the exact set of tools she recommended, but definitely some of them, and I'm very glad I did. Things I would definitely get:
1) Precision pliers: https://www.hobbylobby.com/Beads-Je...elry-Making-Tools/Precision-Pliers/p/80785065
2) Ring mandrels: https://www.hobbylobby.com/Beads-Je...welry-Making-Tools/Jump-Ring-Mandrels/p/12045
3) Flush cutters: https://www.hobbylobby.com/Beads-Je...Tools/Red-Flush-Cutter-Jewelry-Pliers/p/99421
4) magnetic mat (unfortunately C3PO was not magnetic)
5) A lit magnifier

I got the cheapo varieties of all these linked above, which were more than adequate for this use (which is all I use them for, generally).

I think a good strategy for me would be to build up the tool collection first. I see these when I stroll into local hobby shops and can't help but admire the packagings each time.

Someone sent me one with a purchase some years back.
I just received my order from Model Expo I think it was, with an air brush and jewelry pliers set and something else.
Had to get the price up a little to get free shipping.
I have to try and make the one that was sent me. I think (if I remember correctly) it was an SR-71.
It's floating around here somewhere close as I never had a place for it, being different than anything else I do.
Right now in the process of still setting up things from when the Wife let me move in 2 more benches for removing clutter.
Cutter being...Boxes of unbuilt rocket kits and boxes of my knife collection.
Unbuilt rockets and boxes of knives to sell all went to storage.
Knife collection found closet space, while other things in that closet went to storage.
I'm repairing a big cabinet a friend gave me, putting up multiple shelves and general organization to make work efficient.
After watching the posted video, I see I will need a few more things before attempting the build.
But I can see a Metal Earth thing being addicting once getting involved.
GREAT, just what I need. Another addiction! More time, money, and tools required.
They need to come up with a cure for....what ever it is I have.

I think it could be called...Build Addiction Syndrome.

The nice thing is they're small when finished, so don't take up much space. And in the package, they're small and completely flat, so they don't take up any space at all.

I cracked open the Space Shuttle Atlantis today and was amused to see a total of 16 mostly large-ish parts, compared to 56 often tiny parts in the C-3PO. There really is a wide variation in difficulty levels for these; I wish they would label them more clearly in that regard, because I would highly recommend starting with one of the easier ones. My guess is the SR-71 falls into that catetory, overall.

I'm on my third one of these now, and still haven't decided if I actually *enjoy* the build, particularly when you come to one of those infuriatingly difficult steps. But much like building a Lego set, I always appreciate the design and engineering that goes into them, and I definitely find them *satisfying*.

Well...because of this thread, I just went on over to HL Friday after work to check these out. Decided on the Apollo CSM and LM kit. Let me tell you, it was no walk in the park!IMG_8143.JPGIMG_8144.JPG Especially the lunar lander. I strongly recommend that you skip attaching the tiny reaction nozzles to both the LM and CSM until the very end. It is impossible to not bend and break them if you attach them like the instructions say and then continue building and forming the rest. This was challenging BUT I did enjoy it I must say! The attached images show the almost completed kit with the CSM just needing the tiny reaction control nozzles attached.

I'll have to take a shot of my 14 year olds collection of them. I think they have really helped his patience. I've yet to attempt one.

Well...because of this thread, I just went on over to HL Friday after work to check these out. Decided on the Apollo CSM and LM kit. Let me tell you, it was no walk in the park! <snip> This was challenging BUT I did enjoy it I must say!
This one was probably my favorite - it helped that I previously built the standalone LM, got most of my mistakes out of the way!

<snip>I cracked open the Space Shuttle Atlantis today and was amused to see a total of 16 mostly large-ish parts, compared to 56 often tiny parts in the C-3PO.
There is a new Metal Earth Shuttle Atlantis kit out now that looks more detailed, it’s a full 2 sheets. Haven’t opened it yet...

(BTW that Mars Rover is really impressive)
...and now I just received it as a Chanukah gift. Looks like it will keep me busy for a while. Rated on the package 8/10 difficulty; two sheets, about 55 pieces. Will be interested to see how it compares to C-3PO.

I was hoping to get one of these. :)

[edit: I see on their website that this one is rated "challenging", whereas C-3PO is rated "expert". That makes me feel better.]

Last edited:
I did too, thanks to you. ;) Looks like they’ve got a new space one, the Mars lander. I’ll have to look out for that one next time I’m in the hobby store. Also, the shuttles are now white and black like the real thing. That’s pretty cool. Not sure I’ll get one of those, though. I have one and they are kind of easy.

edit: And an Iconx ISS. Gotta pick up that one, too.

Back