Metal Earth

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been seeing them in toy stores for at least a few years, but I never paid much mind to them, because I didn't know a soul who had ever built one. I'm digging this thread.

Just now I tried to find out about the history of these kits, or the company Fascinations which produces them, and couldn't find much with Google. I'd like to know the story behind these things and would LOVE to see a documentary about the process of designing a kit.

I agree completely, a lot of effort appears to go into these kits. I can't think of anything else quite like them.

I'll share a few pictures.

Here's a couple of the SR-71 I built. This was the second one I built, the Millennium Falcon was first, and I don't have pics of the Space Shuttle Discovery I built third.

I'm finding that just with rocket building there are methods, tricks, etc. to get certain pieces to fold and curve the way you need them to without too much trouble. My guess is that anyone in here that likes building rockets will love building these.

ME SR-71 01.jpgME SR-71 02.jpg

After the Space Shuttle I started on the Lunar Lander and broke one of the pieces, so I started on Iron Man because I didn't have anything else waiting on me. Yesterday I bought a replacement LEM kit and will continue after I finish Iron Man.

There's 7 tiny pieces just in one foot, not including the base. This is SO cool.
ME Iron Man 01.jpg

It's a little creepy building the suit from the feet up, but it works.
ME Iron Man 02.jpg

Most of these kits are made of the same color, shiny steel sheets. This one uses red and gold to be more accurate, and it makes the kit 10x better.
ME Iron Man 03.jpg

The torso was the last piece I put on before bed last night.
ME Iron Man 04.jpg

Great job on Ironman. Take your time!

I've never built the multi color ones, but there's a legit greena nd silver Kawasaki at HobLob that I've been eyeing.

I have a friend that built the Ironman, War Machine, and Master Chief (from Halo for those that don't play video games)

I finally finished Iron Man. It was definitely a complicated and tricky build. I managed to completely screw up one piece but was able to hide the mistake enough from those that aren't looking for it.

On another piece I realized I'd put it on backwards and his right hand would be angled down instead of up, which would have been really funny, but I decided to take the piece off and flip it anyway.

ME Iron Man 05.jpgME Iron Man 06.jpgME Iron Man 07.jpgME Iron Man 08.jpg

This week I'm traveling for work so I've decided to check the tools in my luggage and bring a couple of kits with me to work on in the hotel each night.

These tanks were fun. Good way to take a break from rockets.
But geez, 46 little track gear cylinders to roll......those were a chore.

1479019674450.jpg

Those look great! Good job.

I'm on a trip to Cinci this week and brought along a kit for the Enterprise (1701) as well as a bunch of tools, packed in my checked luggage, so I'd have something to do in the hotel in the evenings. I'm sure the TSA was curious when they opened my bag and saw the pliers and box cutter, especially if they detected a lot of metal inside a hardback book (put there to protect it from bending).

Unfortunately I realized I'd put the nacelles on upside down because the instructions weren't super clear, but I was able to remove them and put them back on securely the correct way without damaging anything. Whew! It's packed in a small and thick cardboard box and wrapped in toilet paper to protect it in the luggage on the way home today. I hope it survives.

all I have is the Shuttle got it as a gift a while back. How did you guys role the tiny cylinders they gave me a fit and a half?

When I bought the tiny jewelry pliers I also got a couple of jewelry mandrels that have multiple diameters that I use to wrap pieces around. The rubber covered handles are also useful for bending longer pieces. Wooden dowels can be used too.

all I have is the Shuttle got it as a gift a while back. How did you guys role the tiny cylinders they gave me a fit and a half?

For lack of a better tool, I'll use either the round outside of some needle nose pliers, or the sharpened cone of a pencil. The tapered tool allows me to gently work it into the proper diameter.

Last night I finished Poe Dameron's X-Wing. It was a very impressive kit with the way things went together, and I especially like the details such as the recessed pit for the [removed: R2] BB-8 unit, the wing constructions, and way the engines are built from so many pieces to give it the correct shape. Highly recommended!

ME Poe Dameron Xwing 01.jpgME Poe Dameron Xwing 02.jpgME Poe Dameron Xwing 03.jpgME Poe Dameron Xwing 04.jpg

Last edited:
I believe the package is correct.

The mustang wings are not slanted back. The wing edges are inline on the leading edge, the back edges are swept.

View google images but view several it can be deceiving.

... Poe Dameron's X-Wing. ... the recessed pit for the R2 unit,...

That would be a BB-8 unit.

You know what would go really great with that Millennium Falcon? ... A mid-century Eagle!

(i.e. the lunar lander, Apollo 11 50th anniversary in 2019)

====
PS - your signature reminds me of these lyrics from an 80s local rock band, PKM: "It don't take much to keep me happy: a warm bed, a hot woman, and a cold beer."
[video=youtube;if88dZzdEeI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if88dZzdEeI[/video]

View attachment 324937

The wings of the P51 are backward on the cover of the Metal Earth package.

I believe the package is correct.

The mustang wings are not slanted back. The wing edges are inline on the leading edge, the back edges are swept.

View google images but view several it can be deceiving.

The packaging is actually backwards. My coworker built one as shown and I had to point out the error. Not only are the insignias backwards, but the wing profile is as well. The packaging image shows the swept edge forward, and the dogleg (that should be at the leading edge wing root) is visibly at the back. The wing is manufactured correct, in regards to the profile and stars, but the pictures show it backwards.

That would be a BB-8 unit.
Whoops, you're right. It still is a great detail they have. Obviously I should have rounded that piece more. Too late now!

You know what would go really great with that Millennium Falcon? ... A mid-century Eagle!

(i.e. the lunar lander, Apollo 11 50th anniversary in 2019)
I got halfway through that build and broke an important piece so I stopped. I've had a replacement kit for a couple of weeks but have been working on other kits and haven't gotten back to it yet. I should do that next.

Last edited:
My son and I started building these a couple years ago, typically pick them up in museum gift shops. The toughest ones so far were the USS Arizona (Son), and Lunar Lander (me). He's way faster than me! We use sharp pointed hobby tweezers, small needle nose pliers, and an X-Acto knife for removing tiny parts. An OptiVISOR is really helpful for old eyes.

MetalModels.jpg

Has anyone painted any of these models?

Blasphemy!

Jokes aside, I haven't seen any painted. I think the simplicity and shine of the stainless sheet pieces give them a great aesthetic as they are. Depending on the model, there are laser etched details and textures that would be totally lost if someone tried painting them.

And some (like the ironman and motorcycle) have some sort of colorization as accents.

My son and I started building these a couple years ago, typically pick them up in museum gift shops. The toughest ones so far were the USS Arizona (Son), and Lunar Lander (me). He's way faster than me! We use sharp pointed hobby tweezers, small needle nose pliers, and an X-Acto knife for removing tiny parts. An OptiVISOR is really helpful for old eyes.

View attachment 325049

Nice! I'm up to about that many now. I need to find a good place to display them.

Today I finished one of the most difficult to date. It's the Hogwarts Express train from the Harry Potter movies. As with the X-Wing and Iron Man there's a super amount of detail on this and it was a lot of fun!! Highly recommended.

ME Hogwarts Express 01.jpgME Hogwarts Express 02.jpgME Hogwarts Express 03.jpgME Hogwarts Express 04.jpg

Wooden Punchout Polar Bear realizes he's strolled into the wrong thread.

IMG_20170811_225841689.jpg

I broke and got that metal sheet Kawasaki from Hobby Lobby. One of these weekends I'll put it together. I'm slowly getting beginning to work on rockets again.

Today I finished the Lunar Lander. I started the thread talking about this kit, I broke a piece while building it, I built 3 other models before I got back to it with a replacement kit, but finally finished it. It's surprisingly sturdy compared to how fragile it looks! What I'd read about the kit being difficult was correct. It was also a lot of fun. I'll rank it up there with Iron Man.

ME Lunar Lander 01.jpg ME Lunar Lander 02.jpg

I think I'll start on the Hubble tonight.

Back