Metal Earth

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice Lander 'Stang!

That one is on my list to start soon. By comparison, the Hubble will be a cake walk.

I'm 49. I feel like a youngster.

Nice collection! You have a few that I've done and a few I didn't even know existed. I just finished the Lunar Lander today and I see it on your shelf. What did you think about that one?

Thanks! The Lunar Lander was a beast and left little room for error but I loved the result. The Star Wars AT-ST (in my office and not the picture) was by far the most difficult to date.

Thanks! The Lunar Lander was a beast and left little room for error but I loved the result. The Star Wars AT-ST (in my office and not the picture) was by far the most difficult to date.
Have you done the Iron Man? It's pretty difficult too. I've got the AT-AT waiting to build but I'll pick up the AT-ST now, based on what you said!!

That turned out great! Just one sheet? I'll have to grab that for a quick build. No, I haven't tried the Iron Man. Definitely on the list though.

Working on the Kawasaki Ninja.
It came with a pair of tweezers which would have been great.....if one side didn't overhang by half a mm. Makes it very difficult to grip the tabs, so I stuck with my trusty needlenose.

This engine block is the only result out of 5 Arrowverse episodes worth of time.....

IMG_20170818_182412591.jpgIMG_20170818_182434736_HDR.jpg

This one has a special green sheet for the accents. I'll post a picture of it later when there's more progress.
Similar to Ironman or Master Chief that have colored sheets for their armor.

Two episodes tonight resulted in only 1 wheel being assembled and mounted.

And picture update!:
IMG_20170818_234057717.jpgIMG_20170819_162802471.jpgIMG_20170819_162843183_HDR.jpg

Nice! Mine only looks that good from one side. Lets just say one should stop building once the ambien kicks in. Yours looks great though!

Thanks!

The wheels weren't terribly bad, just ~1 episode each. Just several circular pieces that layer together, and if you can make a constant radius (rocketry helps), they go together fine. The engine block took awhile because of all those detail pieces, and the real frustrating part was getting all the body panels to align and lock together smoothly. Instructions don't show exact bend angles and if you're ~5 degrees off, it don't work.

It's part of Fascination's larger ICONX series. Bigger sheets, greater detail, more stabbed fingers.

Eeeesh, I feel like If I left that one on the coffee table, a rocket would fall over and bend all those spindly-parts to heck.

Since I mentioned it earlier in the thread a couple of months ago, the number of models available on Aliexpress has exploded. Dozens there I hadn't seen before, including many that are now colored. Searching 'metal 3d puzzle' seems to hit everything. But THIS, is too much. A model of the Bismark about a foot long. Incredibly tempting. There's also a colored Bismark, but it's a bit much.

Since I mentioned it earlier in the thread a couple of months ago, the number of models available on Aliexpress has exploded. Dozens there I hadn't seen before, including many that are now colored. Searching 'metal 3d puzzle' seems to hit everything. But THIS, is too much. A model of the Bismark about a foot long. Incredibly tempting.

Holy crap, the Cannon and the Abrams are calling out to me.....

What on or off of Earth is this............: THOR

...the number of models available on Aliexpress has exploded.
I'd never ordered anything from AliExpress before although some family members had. About a month ago I created a login and attempted to purchase an Iconix golden rose bouquet to build my for my wife. When I went to pay and gave my credit card number there was an "error" and they asked me to verify things by sending a scan of my drivers license and something else that I forget. Naturally I noped the heck out of there and didn't send them anything else, assuming it wasn't a valid site. I worried about having released my credit card number already and put my wife (the bookkeeper in the family) on alert for credit card fraud.

A week or so later there hadn't been any surprising activity on the card but the Golden Rose kit showed up in the mail anyway. I was never charged for it even though I did my best to pay for it.

Strange website.

Assault mech from StarCraft video game.

Blast, you're right. In my defense, I'm not used to seeing it from anything besides Top-down view, I played the original more than the sequel, and I didn't hunt through the east-asian text for more context clues.

Re: Aliexpress (and Bangood), certainly, caution is a good idea. A D/L scan? - run away. I know there are accounts of bad experiences. OTOH, I've ordered assorted widgets perhaps fifty times over the past three years, with 100% success. I think I have three orders outstanding with them now (I sprung for the Bismark). Often been amazed at the delivery speed. Never ordered anything over about $30 though, and I do keep a close eye on my bank account.

Just completed the Lunar Rover. This was not a "Metal Earth" kit, but a knockoff from eBay. The instructions were not color coded, and were half the size of the Metal Earth ones, but with the help of magnification, it worked just fine. Not too bad, the worst part was getting the fenders to the proper shape.

IMG_7091.jpg

Stopped by HobbyLob to pick up a 29mm F pack.

Saw they had new metal sheet model selections including a smattering of the CAT(erpillar) construction equipment models.
One of these days I'll have to get one of those acrylic case ones. I really like that oil rig/tanker combo.

IMG_20170901_164645825.jpg

bismark1.jpgbismark2.jpg

Bismark arrived. Three large metal sheets, and three B-size double sided pages of instructions. No English, but I think the diagrams cover it; we'll see.

vcp, that is the way all of the "piececool" ones that I have bought from eBay have been, speaking of which, here is the "China Clipper" or as it is listed, "Flying Boat".

I have noticed that they have a matte finish, and the tabs fit much tighter into the slots. Otherwise, the instructions are the same, just smaller, and they aren't in english.

IMG_6170.jpg

IMG_7145.jpg

these are cool kits and I have bought and started a couple of them.(steam locomotive and P51 mustang) but I just have a real hard time with them for some reason with all the small pieces and manipulating the bends and such. funny thing is I can manage to do stuff like tying flies for fishing.

Back