Metal Cutting

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jqavins

Слава Україні
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone know where one might get some steel plate cut, about 3/16" thick give or take, by laser cutter, plasma, water, or whatever, inexpensively? My friend is looking to get some knife blanks made that way.

Please no "Why doesn't he...?" replies. Yes, we both know there are other ways, but this is the way I'm asking about.

I have used local machine shops for projects like that. You might have to ask around town or do some searching, but I am sure you can find a business close by that would have a short turn around time.

Metal supply companies can almost always do this, most will have waterjet and plasma at least. Internet vendors like OnlineMetals will also do custom cuts.

I typed in the following and got plenty of hits:
  • sheet metal laser cutting
  • sheet metal plasma cutting
  • sheet metal water jet cutting
Every larger city will have a machine shop that does this, so it's mostly about finding the local ones (because steel sheets can be expensive to ship).

Last edited:
You can try local providers, but keep in mind that they might not be set up for small projects. We're able to quote small projects through our online quoting system, which makes things easier on all sides.

I have a CNC plasma table, but it is in Alabama.

Something to realize, the shape of the knife will have to be drawn in some type of Cad format. If the shop does this, you may have to pay for their design time which could greatly exceed the material/burn cost. If you already have a drawing, you will need to be sure it can be converted to whatever the sheet metal shop needs for their software.

Given the amount of post plasma cleaning and the amount of grinding/shaping that will happen anyway, why not just hand cut them with a 4.5" angle grinder out of a piece of 3/16" flat bar in the material of your choice? No Cad drawings, just a marker and your ideas.--I know, you didn't want to hear this.

One other thing, plasma cutting some metals on some tables can alter the temper of the steel on the cut line. I would plan on removing all the cut edge with a grinder anyway.

Back