Messerschmitt Me-262

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have #150243 in Virginia Beach. It’s quite a sight watching a period correct ME-262 in flight. These new birds are certified by Messerschmitt and their serial numbers are a continuation of the original numbering scheme.

We have #150243 in Virginia Beach. It’s quite a sight watching a period correct ME-262 in flight. These new birds are certified by Messerschmitt and their serial numbers are a continuation of the original numbering scheme.

We do? At the Aviation Museum? For all the Scout launches we've done out there, I haven't actually been inside in 8 or so years...

Specifications (Messerschmitt Me 262 A-1a)

• Maximum speed: 900 km/h (560 mph, 490 kn).
  • Range: 1,050 km (650 mi, 570 nmi).
  • Service ceiling: 11,450 m (37,570 ft).
  • Rate of climb: 20 m/s (3,900 ft/min) at max weight of 7,130 kg (15,720 lb).
  • Thrust/weight: 0.28.

The Gloster Meteor is a twin-engined single-seat jet fighter aircraft produced by the British manufacturer Gloster Aircraft.
The Gloster Meteor was the first operational British jet fighter aircraft and the only Allied jet fighter to see combat in WWII.
Crew 1
Propulsion 2 Turbojet Engines
Engine Model Rolls-Royce Derwent 8
Engine Power (each) 15,6 kN 3500 lbf
Speed 965 km/h 521 kts
600 mph
Service Ceiling 13.106 m 43.000 ft
Range 965 km 521 NM
600 mi.
Empty Weight 4.846 kg 10.684 lbs
max. Takeoff Weight 7.121 kg 15.700 lbs
Wing Span 11,32 m 37 ft 2 in
Wing Area 32,5 m² 350 ft²
Length 13,59 m 44 ft 7 in
Height 3,96 m 12 ft 12 in

th

I know which one LOOKS more bad azzed, but which one would prevail in a dogfight?
Meteor has the edge on speed and service ceiling.
Armament? Manueverability? Skill of pilot?

Axial flow vs Centrifugal flow engines. which lasted longer / longer run time between maintenance?

I love the look of the vertical fin on the Meteor! very elegant!

I love how the 262 was originally a tail dragger, but they soon discovered the runways & taxiways were being burned up! literally!

I was in a rock hound club and one of the guys was credited with 1/2 the kill air to air of a ME-262. Another shot up on ground (I believe it was taking off)
I didn't know this at the time, was a quiet kind who never bragged. Did know he flew a P-51 because he had a big picture flying by the Eiffel Tower with the bad guy flag hanging from it. The plane was called Miss Velma, several current Mustangs have the paint job, Velma was his wife who would feed us when we camped out.
He was also shot down, escaped, went back with replacement Miss V.
You never know about people, some expound about their deeds but the old man sitting smiling is the real hero.

https://www.station131.co.uk/55th/Pilots/343rd Pilots/Birtciel Frank E Capt.htm

CY-D%20Miss%20Velma.jpg

I know which one LOOKS more bad azzed, but which one would prevail in a dogfight?
Meteor has the edge on speed and service ceiling.
Armament? Manueverability? Skill of pilot?
Those aren't the stats for the Meteor Mk. 1, which was the version in service during WW2. The Mk. 1 could only do 410 mph (660 km/h). So on stats, the Me 262 wins.

Manoeuvrability: not sure. The Me 262 was certainly no dogfighter but I don't know how the Meteor fared here.

Armament: 4 x 30mm cannon (Me 262) vs. 4 x 20mm cannon (Meteor). The Me 262 wins this one.

Skill of pilot: depends on the pilot. :D The skill of the pilot overrides the aircraft performance, which is why MiG-15s were sometimes shot down by Meteors, and on one occasion even by a propellor-driven Sea Fury.

Engine reliability: never mind axial flow vs. centrifugal flow, the Germans were very short on strategic metals at that point in the war and had to cut down on the use of titanium, so the Junkers Jumo 004 did not live very long. The Meteor’s Rolls Royce Welland engines could operate 180 hours before overhaul, while the Me 262's had to be overhauled after 10 hours and replaced entirely on a regular basis.

Back