Messenger is on the way!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnnie

Reaction score
NASA launched Messenger towards Mercury this morning, and the launch was a complete success:

https://messenger.jhuapl.edu/

There is also a link on the front page to make a paper model of messenger...

Man I gotta build me one of those Boeing Delta Two rockets.

Yes, I've just been looking at the BBC report. There's a link to a video report, which in turn has a link to a video of the whole launch. I like the flapping wings. :)

I was all geeked out watching the launch of the Messenger aboard that Delta II last night on NASA TV's "video file" - complete with mission control audio. Really cool - 6 ground started SRB's which jettisoned right after reaching mach and the zone of maximum dynamic pressure, and the next 3 SRB's air lit and burnt out at a range of 36 nautical miles. Video continued until the other 3 SRB's burnt out and jettisoned. Totally cool to listen to the ground control audibly monitor chamber pressure in the SRBs and stuff.

Sweet.

Video File is a regularly scheduled 'program' that usually consists of video clips and accompanying text explaining what is about to be shown and the run-time. It is a source used by the news media.

When live envents are happening, the DirecTV guide still lists the program scheduled to be shown at that time (like Video File), but the actual NASA TV broadcast is a live feed from the launch control with some video clips run during the really slow parts of the countdown and scheduled holds. They ran a lot of video of the probe being assembled/tested/mated as well as the Delta II Heavy.

I watched the first night until the scrub. I was too tired to stay up and watch the second night when it actually launched.

Was Moose (Marc Lavigne) visible? I couldn't pick him out on the first night.

Originally posted by Fore Check
I was all geeked out watching the launch of the Messenger aboard that Delta II last night on NASA TV's "video file" - complete with mission control audio. Really cool - 6 ground started SRB's which jettisoned right after reaching mach and the zone of maximum dynamic pressure, and the next 3 SRB's air lit and burnt out at a range of 36 nautical miles. Video continued until the other 3 SRB's burnt out and jettisoned. Totally cool to listen to the ground control audibly monitor chamber pressure in the SRBs and stuff.

Sweet.

Back