Mesquito

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klint

Reaction score
Has ne body flone an estes mesquito more than once? I have flown bout 8 of them and have lost every one of them.

Funny you should ask that! I have flown mine three times; the last time today. My daughters really like the Mosquito because it is little and painted BRIGHT yellow. On the first flight I flew it on a A3-4T and found it in the baseball field we were launching on.

I flew the second last Easter weekend at Big Bone Lick State Park in KY on a A10-3T. I wrote it off for gone but my daughter found it in a sea of dandilions. It was simply AMAZING.

Today I launched my bright yellow mosquito with my daughters in the middle of a large recently cut soccor field. I purposefully bought 1/4A3-3T motors so I could easily find it. The flight was nice and straight and we saw the ejection charge. Then it did that mystical/interdimensional thing-it just disappeared! My daughters and I walked the second half of the field trying to find the yellow mosquito in the field of green but, alas, it was gone.

In conclusion, I think they come and go as they please. They must be the mystical servants of the rocket devouring tree gods.

I flew one. Only once though. What do they do? Vaporize at 100'? It should be called the fantistic disappearing Mosquito...

I flew the second last Easter weekend at Big Bone Lick State Park in KY on a A10-3T.

I have only launched them on A10-3T and like PGerringer said they seem to vaporize at 100'. Good thing there cheap.

I like the mesquito they are fast and yes you are lucky if you find them

I saw one a while ago I think it was made by HD it was exactly like the mosquito but it was upgraded to a 24mm.

Thats awesome hey see if youc an find out the company on that bird that would be cool

We flew our mosquito four or five times before losing it. They key is to recover it by sound, not by sight.

The easiest is to fly it in the middle of a large (abandoned) parking lot or r/c runway. Be real quiet and when it lands you can hear which direction to start looking.

We've also used this technique in a grass field (AMA, Muncie) and had pretty good success. It was really neat because my daughter wasn't old enough to be able to track the rocket during flight, but boy could she hear it land and track it down! :)

Do yall think you could train a dog to track rockets just with a simple buzzer in them or the smell of burnt bp and ap? I am getting a new white boxer puppy saterday and was wondering.

You can pretty much train a dog to do anything. A buzzer would be your best approach.

I have one that has logged 11 returned flights to date. All flights used 105 Mosquito D.jpg1/4A motors and were conducted on a large grassy field. On a few of the flights, I was actually able to see the model streak in and land on the turf!
My aim is to set a Most-Flights-On-A-Mosquito record. Problem is, I don't know what the current record is...
Above is a pic of the bird.

On topic though, I have a Mosquito from the 90's that I flew once and was found by my brother after a long search. I never flew it again after that. I recently got a second Mosquito that I modified to fly on Micro Maxx and pop a streamer. It flies great on Micro Maxx and the little streamer really helps with visibility. A few pictures in the first post of this thread.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/micro-builds.160529/

I've got one that is in the ten flight range. Though, I'm cheating a little because I lost it once and then found it several weeks later. I had overpainted it so it wasn't a soggy mess. Ha, ha. The secret is 1/4A motors or to install a micro motor mount. I've got one of those too and it still goes plenty high enough and you can see the whole flight.

Yes. Mine was painted bright neon Orange. Flew it 4 times on 1/4A3-3T. When those were gone I tried the 1/2A3-4T and never saw it again which is OK as I now have a scratch built 29mm BT80 version. :)

Never understood the point of flying it with anything other than the smallest possible motor anyway. It teleports off the pad just as well with the small motor, you probably aren’t going to see it in the sky regardless, and probability of it landing within site worsens significantly if not exponentially with motor power.

Kind of like low power multistage sustainer motors. Unless you are toting a camera and altimeter and really NEED the extra altitude, going with smallest viable motors just makes sense.

I have one that has logged 11 returned flights to date. All flights used View attachment 4365211/4A motors and were conducted on a large grassy field. On a few of the flights, I was actually able to see the model streak in and land on the turf!
My aim is to set a Most-Flights-On-A-Mosquito record. Problem is, I don't know what the current record is...
Above is a pic of the bird.

Based on my own experience I'm pretty sure the world record was 3 flights.

Ours has flown at least 15 flights, most recently this August. In addition to brightly colored (ours is the classic yellow/black) and flying only on 1/4 A power, my other tip is to attach a small maybe 3 inch long mylar strip to the bottom of each fin with plain old masking tape. You'll see it all the way up and down, and the drag from those little "streamers" slows it enough for a spectacular flight every time, always a crowd-pleaser! I got this from someone else years ago, and I swear by it.

Back