Mercury Redstone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corpse

Reaction score
what a pain to make
this thing took a 12 pack to make
LOL!
the top 1/2 was the hardest .
nothing would line up.
so i took the book and put it in the round file .
after that it went together just fine.
hope to see if it flys tomorrow if
Vicious wife will let him go .
LMAO!

The Merc is my all time favorite scale. Actually, I would have to say, it's the "red stone", any flavor :)

just love it!

Very nice rocket, Corpse. Is it my imagination or do the fins on the Redstone look like the fins on the Wasserfall? Is there a German influence here?

Nice Redstone
flys great on C's,
Anybody ever put a 24mm mmt in the Redstone?

Someone posted a thread here last year on putting a 24mm mount in the Redstone. Basically you carefully grind out the centering rings with a Dremel until the MMT fits.

The Redstone is a great, great flier. Straight as an arrow every time. I bet it would be a hoot on a D12.

...or an E9.:D

I'll be looking out for that next Hobby Lobby half-off sale!!!

Looks great, Corpse! I just started mine the other day. It's the first model I've ever pre-painted before assembly...lol

Loopy

Originally posted by carldoc
Very nice rocket, Corpse. Is it my imagination or do the fins on the Redstone look like the fins on the Wasserfall? Is there a German influence here?

Yes. The Redstone is based on the Jupiter C, which was one of the missles designed for the Army by Werner Von Braun.

Good job on the rocket, Corpse!

just got back from the park.
that thing flys great.
i love the sloooow lift off.on the 2 flite
it came down hard the shut got stuck in it .
1 fin fell off when it hit.
but repairable

Redstone is my favorite also. That's what's under my name over there to the left, but I don't think you can tell.
It fly's great on a C6, and even on a B6 if I want to keep it in the yard.
I've got an extra one I plan to put a 24mm mount in and maybe paint the black areas instead of using the decals, but it's way down the list.

Looks great Corpse.

Tim

I learned one thing, the capsule landing on concrete is not good, mine landed on concrete and the top part of the escape tower broke off, couldn't find in the thick grass. Hobby Lobby needs to have a Half off sale again:)

Same here, except mine landed in a tree. It was low enough to reach and retrieve, but somehow the tower broke off and I couldn't find it. When I built it, I put the tower on a bit crooked so it was probably under a lot of stress just holding together, so it only took a slight bump to break it.
My next one may just have to have a detachable tower, so I can remove it for flight.

Tim

the 1 st flight the capsule came down with the chut rolled up in a ball
landed hard but did not brake.
plane on flying it again at my kids B-Day party.
i think shes going to love this one

Noticed your maiden icon from Dance of Death-nice to see other people into 2 things I really like! UP THE IRONS!!!!!

I love mine!

Flew it at NARM 43 a few years back and had a short circuit in the launch cable (I think they had a 24v system!!) arc and permanently scorch one fin.

Thought about a 24mm motor mount but...I have sooo many C6-3's I gotta burn 'em up somewhere.

Plan on another but this one will be a Jupiter C...and a Mercury Little Joe for the left over pieces...with a few more! Even got some decals for it already!

Now where can I get somebody to make me a custom nose cone?

sandman

Yeah, the mercury redstone flies great! my tower breaks off all the time, in my rocket box, in the air, on the ground. and that capsule is a bear to put together!

I love my Redstone. Have flown it several times. I tethered the two chutes together. That way if the smaller chute comes out, when it deploys it will pull the larger chute out. Also I don't have to chase two different items. The only time I've had any problems is when I transitioned to fiber wading instead of the Estes tissue wading. I didn't know how much to add and the ejection charge blew right past the chutes.

Here is a picture of what the rocket looks like coming down on the two chutes.

Hey Corpse (love the handle),

just took at look at your picture post and then looked at the shelf where my MR is sitting on its stand...

When will this drought (and the total fire bans that go with it) end ? I've got at least 6 'new' rockets ready to fly but nowhere safe to launch from until we get some rain first :(

Love the photos guys - keep them coming

Cheers

(Evil) Bob

Colibri, that's a really cool pic of the descent!

I'm in the midst of building the MR myself, just started doing the capsule, so pity me! I have the BT and fins in the paint shop (aka my garage), like someone said, this is the first rocket I've built that I painted before finishing! There's no way I was gonna go with the ugly stock body tube, the spirals just show too much. So after 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of paint and counting, it's starting to look decent! I also installed 2 toothpicks to form an x in the tube coupler to prevent wadding, parachutes,etc from going too far down and destabilizing the rocket, other than that I am building the thing stock but I will detail the capsule more than just painting black. Hope to have it done by my club's 4/24 launch! And yes I'll post pics! Btw, if you're gonna build this rocket right, read EMRR's review before doing it, it will show you the correct sequence to build it, because the instructions aren't it.

Glenn

Back