Mercury Redstone Photo

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnwwa

Reaction score
As promised Photo of Merc Redstone.
I can't say how much I detest the Sticky Decals but what can ya do!?? One thing I did do was apply decals then very carefully cut away any clear areas on lower section of BT also above fins around square ( MR7 ) down to black stripe above top of fins.and then a spray finish of Testors Dull Coat.

BAR
John

Very nice job. Johnnywwa:
I'm still flying my OLD 1/42nd Scale Merc-Redstone, she's getting kinda yellow and I've nicked the fins a few time but it's still a crowd pleaser whenever it flies:)

Very nice looking:)

I built the Estes Redstone a few months ago. I have it hanging from my ceiling now. I just will never work up the guts to fly this thing. It took awhile to build, and I just don't trust any engine in this thing. I have been considering getting a smaller plastic model of the Mercury Redstone and building and flying that, but that won't be until the winter...it's flying season now and pretty much all of my projects are on hold.

Hey John,

I've got the same Redstone sitting on a shelf right next to me ! Only problem with mine is the escape tower is missing two of the three rocket nozzles (not supplied by Estes).

I really should write them - I've heard they are very good on customer service in cases like this. It's the only thing keeping my Redstone from being 'complete' and beautiful like yours.

When are you going to fly it (or are you chicken just like me ;) ? )

Cheers

(Evil) Bob

Looking good guys.

I have a Mercury Redstone from Centuri that I fly.

I love the kit :)

Picture:
mercuryredstone.jpg

Capsule:
mercuryredstone_1_pic.jpg

Originally posted by Micromister
she's getting kinda yellow

Is there any good way to avoid white turning into yellow? Is this just part of the deal when painting models? I sure hate to see all the work of building a nice model degraded by yellowed paints!

Leo, awesome photos!! Great job building too. I'm sure you were trying to make the capsule shot look like the real thing, because it sure does!:D

Mark,

how about this shot:
mercuryredstone_2_pic.jpg

Any more real? :D

I know, I know.... the body tube seems :(

Hey Bob
I to have reservations about flying mine . When I was getting ready to take the picture in this post .The escape tower came in contact with a ceiling fan blade wacked it a good one , spent the next hour putting it back together . Maybe the rocket gods are trying to tell me something. But I expect to touch off this candle someday.. For now it will stay a staic display. Part of my fleet display for our Church Youth Group Class on Model Rocketry.I'll be conducting May 29th, 31st. & June 5th. Launch Day. Will post pictures of fleet and all twelve kids launching rockets. Pay it Forward..

Next up decals for USMC Semper Fi ( Mean Machine )

BAR
John

dude.. that looks awesome...

compared to the real one...

I took that at Nasa this past August..

I have some others on my website of the Saturn V and Little Joe II and the redstone is in the background of a few...

next time we go.. i plan to take some more of the details instead of the wide shots...

the others are at: https://www.gbtech.us/nasapics/

the traffic from here will probably torch my server though..haha

later
Jerryb

Originally posted by Leo
Mark,

how about this shot:

Any more real? :D

I know, I know.... the body tube seems :(
redstone_sm.jpg

leo,

No guy wires...and no rust:confused:

Other than that...perfect!

I sure could have used those LJ II pics earlier.

sandman

haha... I dont think its rust as much as mildew... it had a kind green tinge to it... probably nothing a gallon of clorox wouldn't take care of... haha.. think they'd object to some rocket enthusiasts doing a little PM's to the displays??

when I go back this summer... I'll take more pics of the actual hardware... they had an enormous amount of stuff on static displays out there.. many smaller developmental rockets on the way to the Saturn 5 behemoth...

just for references.. how long did the other photos take to download from my server? it doesnt have that quick a connection to the net... just wondering for future development..

later
Jerryb

Originally posted by sandman
leo,

No guy wires...and no rust:confused:

Other than that...perfect!

I sure could have used those LJ II pics earlier.

sandman

Back