Mercury Hijacker on Estes e9

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbyman

Reaction score
Could the Mercury Hijacker be launched on a Estes E9-4 or D12-3 and be recovered saftley on a calm day ?

Here is a simple answer, No you would need 2X D12 to lift it and 3X E9 to lift 16oz safely

oNe thing I should note, look at the manufacturers smallest and largest recomended motors, that means you should be able to use any motors in between those motors, for the HiJacker it's the E30 and the G80T however be careful with the motors total impulse like how a E9 is a baby "E" and an E30 is a full "E" motor

Theoretically you could launch the Hijacker on a D12-3. Practically, I wouldn't try it.

If you build it at 16 oz, or less, used a 6 ft launch rod (6ft from tip of rod to launch lug) and had no wind, you might be able to make it work.

It would get 112 ft altitude, leave the rod at 30 ft/sec and be coming down at 38 ft/sec and at approximately 88 ft. when the ejection charge goes off, if the charge was exactly on time.

I would say you are more likely to lawndart the rocket then have a successful flight.

You would do better with the Mercury Mutant Daddy or Invader. If you want to cluster them, the RDR-II can be launched on a pair of D12s or E9s.

Mark K.

Back