Mercury Capsule Scalable Dimensions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lakeroadster

When in doubt... build hell-for-stout!
Reaction score
Back in Nov 2021 I bought a 1/12 scale Atomic City Mercury Capsule back when I built my Mercury Capsule Abort Rocket. The bottom of the capsule is 6-1/16" nominal dia.

I needed to scale that 6-1/16" dia. capsule down to a 4" dia. nominal size for my "Level One" rocket... so I went ahead and created the drawing below.

Pick a diameter for the capsule you want, and multiple that number by the number in parenthesis to determine each of the other dimensions.

Mercury Capsule Dwg Sht 1 of 1 Rev 02.jpg

Last edited:
"In this era of private space entrepreneurs who seem to have woven themselves into our popular culture and sometimes controversies that come along with that, I’m thinking about this guy, Max Faget. Unless you were a space enthusiast and read a lot of books about the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo programs you probably didn’t even know this guy existed. as most of you know, Faget was basically NASAs chief capsule designer during those years. Now during his time there were a few stars in the rocket design program such as Werner von Braun who did venture into our popular culture and we’re known however, Max contributed so much to the program without a lot of fanfare and hoopla. So, for that reason I reminisce about the early space program when it wasn’t about some “guy" and his genius, rather it was our collective appreciation of all of the genius, contributors and team effort that set us on a path to the Moon."

Written by John Kelly

Max Faget 002.jpg

Back