Mentored TRA Level 1 Cert Flight - Oregon

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketScience

Reaction score
Hello,

We are relatively new to high powered rocketry. My son and are TRA members and I am mentoring him as he builds a LOC IV rocket for level 1 cert flight.

I need help with a few questions that may be fairly basic.

We were going launch at the Brother's Desert Heat launch that was sanctioned under TRA. The launch was canceled due to fire danger. We now plan to launch at the Sheridan Launch site that is sanctioned under NAR.

https://www.oregonrocketry.com/?page_id=54

1. Is there any issue with getting TRA certified at a NAR sanctioned launch?

2. Will there be people at the site to certify the launch for TRA?

3. TRA Exam - The junior (my son) is required to take an exam. Is that done at the site by Prefects, TAPS, Directors? Will there be people there to give the exam and have the exam paper work?

4. Anything else?

Sorry if the this is fairly basic. We were disappointed with the canceled launch and have limited schedule space for another launch this year.

We're all disappointed when a launch gets cancelled.
But imagine how much worse it would be if the field gets "cancelled" as in there is a fire....

So yes, you need to wait till Sheridan.
There will be NAR and TRA reps there to help you certify.
The TRA prefect will [most probably] be there and can administer the test.
I'll give him a heads up that he needs to bring the Junior test as that might not be a standard thing to pack....

You'll love Sheridan - tons of flights if the weather is good.

Come to the OROC meeting and introduce yourself and your son! Meet the prefect, etc.....

Last edited:
Hi there!

Like Fred said, yes to all of your questions basically. Are you Oregon Rocketry club members yet? That would be the next order of business. If you go to more than one launch a year, you save money on launch fees. If you are only going to Sheridan this year (and don't plan on going to the October launch in Brothers), then I think its a wash, or even less, in which case you can hold off on OROC membership until next year.

And also, as Fred said, come to our next meeting! You don't have to be a member. It is next Thursday, Sept. 7th at Giovanni's in downtown Beaverton. The meeting will be officially called to order at 7:30pm, but we start to trickle in around 6:00 so we can eat / drink / talk about rockets.

Cheers,

Brian

We are from Washington. We would attend the meetings if it was more convenient.

We do make it down to Oregon 3 or 4 times a year including Beaverton so we will watch the meeting schedule. We will be in Beaverton the weekend of Oct 8 and were there all of last week.

The schedule for the Oregon launches seems to match our personal schedules better than the Washington launches. We'll likely join when we come down to Sheridan.

Thanks for the help.

Hello,

We are relatively new to high powered rocketry. My son and are TRA members and I am mentoring him as he builds a LOC IV rocket for level 1 cert flight.

I need help with a few questions that may be fairly basic.

We were going launch at the Brother's Desert Heat launch that was sanctioned under TRA. The launch was canceled due to fire danger. We now plan to launch at the Sheridan Launch site that is sanctioned under NAR.

https://www.oregonrocketry.com/?page_id=54

1. Is there any issue with getting TRA certified at a NAR sanctioned launch?

2. Will there be people at the site to certify the launch for TRA?

3. TRA Exam - The junior (my son) is required to take an exam. Is that done at the site by Prefects, TAPS, Directors? Will there be people there to give the exam and have the exam paper work?

4. Anything else?

Sorry if the this is fairly basic. We were disappointed with the canceled launch and have limited schedule space for another launch this year.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I know a little about the Tripoli Mentoring program... I'm in it!

There is often confusion about the Tripoli Mentoring program, and the NAR Jr Level 1 certification.
I would like to provide some insight based on my experience... maybe I can help your understanding.

If your son is under 18 he can participate in either the TRA or NAR program (or both). Your son must be 12 years old for the TRA program, or at least 14 years old for the NAR program.

All high-power rockets (Under NAR or TRA rules) are always launched by a certified adult.

The NAR program requires building a Level 1 capable rocket (which gets launched by a certified adult).

The TRA program requires a written test - there is NO launch requirement for the TMP member.

At a NAR launch, a minor child is allowed at the high-power pads to assist - Unless prohibited by local club rules. There is no age or certification requirement under NAR.

At a TRA launch, only Certified flyers or supervised TMP members (after passing the written test) are allowed at the High Power pads.

Upon reaching age 18, The NAR Jr L1 becomes a regular L1 certification, no additional flight required. With NAR, once certified, always certified.

Upon reaching age 18, the Tripoli TMP member certification expires. The adult TRA member must certify L1 if they wish to continue in high power rocketry. If the TRA membership is expired for more than a year, all certifications are void.

2017-08-11 22.50.17.jpg

While I can't talk about TRA, or a Jr certification, I can say that Sheridan is an awesome place to meet fellow rocketeers. I cert'd there myself back in 2015. Regrettably, I'm still in China, so I'll have to miss this one.

So basically only a few people know who the actual flyer is? I don't like taking credit for something I didn't do. (I know this is a old thread)

Credit isn't the issue. It's who's taking certified responsibility for the safety of the flight.

Often folks will write in the notes that it's a TMP flight and the LCO can read that if there's time too

Back