Memphis Hobby Stores

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nashville:

Hudson Classic Hobbies, run by John Hudson:

https://www.hudsonclassichobbies.com/

Just off of I-65, easy to get to. I stopped by there a few weeks ago and took some pics, which are attached.

His store has a very large selection of rockets and engines, more than most hobby shops do. And some are old “classic” kits too. He plans to spool up to selling HPR engines now that the BATF ruling is in. He does have a few HPR kits and supplies.

John travels to a number of rocket launches as a vendor. He does a lot of the Manchester, TN launches (site of Southern Thunder) and has come down to a few of the BRB (Birmingham) launches as well.

John also flies rockets. He flew in two contests this year and helped me run a contest in May when I had to return home to get some forgotten paperwork forms.

- George Gassaway

Hudson1.jpg

Hudson2.jpg

Hudson3.jpg

Hudson4.jpg

Hudson5.jpg

Last edited:
And getting back to the original request - Memphis anyone?

Action Hobbies used to have Estes and FSI stuff years ago. It was mostly an R/C place. I just did a search on it and got nothing, so I guess it's gone.

There's a Hobbytown USA near Wolfchase Mall. They stock Questes and lower impulse Aerotech, but they mostly stock land/water/air R/C and related supplies. I think I remember there being a D-and-D thing going on in the back when I went in there once. I live about 100 miles away so I'm not real familiar with the store.

What part of Memphis do you plan to be in? I just did a google search for Memphis hobby shops and got a bunch back. If you end up between Memphis and Nashville, give me a holler. My son's almost finished with his 1/70 Saturn 1B, so a launch in the pasture is fast approaching. :cool:

Nope, they're no "must see" hobby shops in Memphis if you're looking for rocketry related items. Hobbytown, Model Railroad and Hobby Shop and The Hobby Shop have some rocket material, nothing to drive down from St Louis to see. Last time I looked at the local shops was over a year ago. This weekend I'll drive to these three and let you know if anything has changed.

Am here now. Yup, there's no must see unfortunately.

Just so others know here's some pics I took of each 'major' hobby stores that carry rockets in Memphis.

The Hobby Shop
3681852605_7654800809.jpg

3682666620_6faf7f3d11.jpg

3681852733_0001505f69.jpg

Probably the best place to go

Model Railroad and Hobby Shop
3681852865_1e05eb5f46.jpg

If you go by their website you would think they have lots and lots of rocketry stuff but no.

Hobbytown
3682666732_65dcdbdb1f.jpg

3682666814_a66f8791bc.jpg

The second best place to go.

Last edited:
Troy, did you get to go see the Memphis Belle? Man you're traveling everywhere lately

Troy, did you get to go see the Memphis Belle? Man you're traveling everywhere lately

Nope, as Randy pointed out it wasn't there.

However, if you're ever up in Seattle I know where we've got both a B-17 and B-29 stashed away being restored by our guys. Last time I was up there, and other times, I've been the only one in the hangar and have crawled all around them both.

that's right I forgot she was in OH, My dad and brothers went trough Mempis and saw her several years ago.

BTW Michael, there was a B-17 flying for a few days here in the St. Peters area. I'd have to look up the colors though to identify which one.

You may not find much in Memphis, but you're about 2.5 hours from the PemTech International Headquarters in North Little Rock, Arkansas and if that isn't an absolutely fascinating "must see" I don't know what is!!
:D

Trudy, Layne's loving cheerleader :blush:

Last edited:
Probably there for VP Fair / Fair St Louis what ever they call it now.

You may not find much in Memphis, but you're about 2.5 hours from the PemTech International Headquarters in North Little Rock, Arkansas and if that isn't an absolutely fascinating "must see" I don't know what is!!
:D

Trudy, Layne's loving cheerleader :blush:

That all may be true but.....

Nah, nah,nah,nah, nah..:neener:..we've got Graceland

and......

Nah, nah,nah,nah, nah..:neener:...we've got..........

we got..........

uh.....

we got...... :bang:

uh...... :bang:

Nah, nah,nah,nah, nah....we've got Graceland.

Well, I guess you are better off going to North Little Rock to see PemTech.

;)

Hey, you've got the Civil Rights Museum - which was very cool. Not to mention the Panda bear (Ya-Ya) and the meerkats.

And Memphis has a really rocking Zoo, nice museums, a cool bead store and pizza & beer restaurant in Union Plaza along with a good Indian restaurant too (not that we don't have those here too), and the Pyramid.

But North Little Rock-Little Rock has the Old Mill ( erock.about.com/cs/nature/a/aaoldmill.htm), Heiffer International, plus my sweetie Layne and pasta boiling on the stove for dinner. So I still think I'm getting the better end of the deal. :neener: :p

Trudy,
whose pasta is about to boil over...again

Back