Memorial launch pics

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Missileman

Reaction score
I know this should be in "Events" but it was special and more people will see it here. I appologize for posting to the wrong forum.
I attended the Jackson Areas memorial launch Saturday and wanted to share with everyone this special event.
At 12 noon after all the racks were full of red, white and blue rockets the ceremony began.
All rockets were announced at the begining so they could be launched during the ceremony.
A speach was played through the speakers by President Bush (this was a speach that was given shortly after 9-11 happened)
This was followed by the National Anthem.
Then America the beautiful was played during which all the rockets were launched, one at a time.
The ceremony was wrapped up by a bugler playing Taps.
It was quite a moving ceremony and I was glad to have been able to be there.
Now for the pics.
I will do this in multiple posts (don't know how to get more than 1 pic in a post)
The first pic shows a portion of the crowd in attendance (there were more behind me when I took the pic)

Yea the stremers were all suppose to go up but looks like only 1 made it.
Here is one more launch pic I missed

It looks like you guys have a nice launch site. ROC also held a launch on 9/11 but the turnout was pretty low because everyone was at BALLS 13. It was still a nice launch though.

Originally posted by missileman
Yea the stremers were all suppose to go up but looks like only 1 made it.
Here is one more launch pic I missed

nice shots! how did the streamer affect the rocket? i was thinking it would be fun, just for show, to attach a short streamer to fins.

Actually this wasn't at my clubs field.
I was a guest at another club. This launch was at the Michigan International Speedway.
The streamers had no effect on the rocket, BUT they didn't stay on.
The last streamer came off just after I snapped the pic.

I have some video of the actual launch and some of Mark Palmer playing taps. Does anyone know the max size of a video upload on this site??

I don't think you would be able to post a video due to size.
Maybe you can host it on your site and just post a link here?
I would love a copy of that video if I could talk you into emailing one to me.

I would like to see the video. I was not able to attend the launch with my father due to a doctor's appointment. It kind bumbed me out. :( Heard it was really good.

Jim
Give me a day or two to pull it off the camera. Im not sure of the size of the 2 clips yet. If its too large I can burn it on CD as an MPEG. I will keep you posted

Uncle "Mike" Scopone

Back