Melting Points...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moocrew

Reaction score
My new scratch idea is to take my modified Guardian and put LED's on the fin tips.....and possibly on the bottom or inside/bottom of the roc to make the smoke somewhat colored.
So i wondered if anyone knew what if there are any LEDS that would stand up to this kind of heat...im launching it on a D.
Also any opions of a better way to arrange the LEDs are welcome I want this one to really Light up the sky.

thanks

-moo

Originally posted by moocrew
My new scratch idea is to take my modified Guardian and put LED's on the fin tips.....and possibly on the bottom or inside/bottom of the roc to make the smoke somewhat colored.
So i wondered if anyone knew what if there are any LEDS that would stand up to this kind of heat...im launching it on a D.
Also any opions of a better way to arrange the LEDs are welcome I want this one to really Light up the sky.

thanks

-moo

I don't know of any LEDs that'll take that kind of heat, for either the dome and the diode inside it. To see the smoke light up you'd have to launch at night, and good bye bird. A quartz-iodide lamp with a heavy envelope might survive and would be bright enough, but the weight of it and the power source would keep it grounded unless it were a real HPR bird.

I'm building a 50's sci-fi looking bird with LEDs on it. Red on one wing, green on the other, just like an airplane, and a clear dome with red diode on the belly. All three flash (built in the LED), They're powered by solar cell.

Flexible (1" radius bend), light (a few grams), ultra-thin (8 to 22 mil) solar panels, and LEDs, available from sundancesolar.com.

I haven't put any Leds in the motor tube end of any of my Night vehicles but have added them to wings, Fins and Rotors. TFRs vjp has put a few blue Leds in the motor end of one Night vehicle. I think it was based on a BT-55 ot 60 body tube. Worked very well. the model hanging under chute showed the super bright blues very well. I Think he got the LEDs for superbrightleds.com Many High mcd values at very nice prices.

I think I may try putting the bottom LEDs on the tip of the bottom fins...that will put them about 4 inches away from the flame... I guess we'll see what happens.

so what if the LEDs melt, just make them plug-ins with some nice little sockets and replace as necessary when they melt down.

or you could use little glass-lensed enclosures to protect them...

my .02

Back