Mega Red Max tube

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LW Bercini

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
My Mega Der Red Max had a bit of a boo-boo. A recovery failure led to a case of "ballistic origami". Now I need to get a tube to repair the upper section. Is it even possible to get on from Estes? If not, what other vendor sells this tube?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I scratch built a Mega Max using LOC tubes and nosecone.It's a thicker tube and may not match up with Estes.

LOC tubing is perfect with the Mega Red max nose cone - I used it for an upscale Estes Hornet after a Cato with my Mega Red..

I can confirm that LOC tubing and Magnaframe both work well with the stock mega max nose cone.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

@ Lawrence: Just how did the MRDM get crunched? Lawn dart? Something fell on it? Got caught in a door?

I ask, as I'm wondering if (presuming a lawn dart) that the shoulder of the nosecone could have been part of the problem. Mind you, I haven't seen the MDRM cone in person, but the Leviathan/Big Daddy's NC seems to be involved in an awful lot of them darting.

Last edited:
Had the same problem... fixed w/ a LOC coupler and cut-to-length LOC tube. Estes NC fits just fine.

Later!

--Coop

@ Lawrence: Just how did the MRDM get crunched? Lawn dart? Something fell on it? Got caught in a door?

I ask, as I'm wondering if (presuming a lawn dart) that the shoulder of the nosecone could have been part of the problem. Mind you, I haven't seen the MDRM cone in person, but the Leviathan/Big Daddy's NC seems to be involved in an awful lot of them darting.

It was a normal flight and delay, but the nose cone ejected without the laundry. As it fell, it alternated between falling horizontally, and streamlining, It was just starting to transition to streamlining when it impacted asphalt. (I was flying at the Atlanta Dragway) Once it impacted, all the laundry and barf tumbled out.

I replaced my tube with Blue Tube. It took a bit of sanding, but the NC slots just fine.

It was a normal flight and delay, but the nose cone ejected without the laundry. As it fell, it alternated between falling horizontally, and streamlining, It was just starting to transition to streamlining when it impacted asphalt. (I was flying at the Atlanta Dragway) Once it impacted, all the laundry and barf tumbled out.

Ok, so my image of this flight goes like this... Rocket goes up, ejection fires, nosecone pops off but then flops about w/o dragging out the parachute. OR... Did the nosecone separate from the rocket completely?

If it was the first concept, it seems like the nosecone allowed much of the pressure to bleed off instead of firing it out of the body tube like a bullet. Again, the slope of the nosecone would have been the problem. Does this sound right to you?

Back