Mega Red Max - Tube OK?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmgrime

Reaction score
So I decided tonight was time to start on my mega max. Everything looks good except there are what appear to be crease lines on the outside of the tube .... inside seems OK. Should I worry about tube strength, or just CA and sand for finish?

1476054978792.jpg
1476054987640.jpg
1476054995440.jpg

I'd make do with it, but I suspect that, if you were to contact Estes, they would replace it. On the rare few occasions I've contacted them (twice, ever), they've stepped up and were quite pleasant and easy to deal with, and made sure I was satisfied.

Later!

--Coop

It's a cheap enough part on a nice enough rocket I'd just order another; or at least do something to strengthen it, else the first heavy landing might go poorly.

It's a cheap enough part on a nice enough rocket I'd just order another; or at least do something to strengthen it, else the first heavy landing might go poorly.

iirc, the Estes 4" tubing used in the MDRM is the same as Loc 3.9 airframe. If I am wrong on this someone please correct me.

While I can't speak for the Estes/LOC tubing, I found that the Estes MDRM nosecone had an acceptable (to me) fit with Binder Design's body tubes and BD's nosecones would fit the Estes body tube. That said, I think BD's tube is considerably stronger.

Estes shipping is so bad that you're likely to get one in worse shape than that.

CA and finish the build. Got my L1 on a MDRM. The airframe is adequate. I used thin ca inside and outside the body tube about two inches down the tube. Applied two coats of ca using a piece of plastic on my finger to spread it. Also used three coats of Minwax Polycrylic after filling spirals with Bondo spot putty. The Polycrylic helps stiffen the airframe. Get a good 15 foot 9/16 nylon harness...ditch the elastic

Thanks for the feedback, all. I put an email in to estes this morning but don't expect a response until tomorrow at the earliest given the US holiday.

We shall see what they say! In the meantime I'm working on the fin build up :)

Be willing to bet Estes makes it right and ships you new tubes .
Just my experience. Fix the other stuff and use it elsewhere for one of those, always wanted to try that projects - if it goes wrong, no harm done. :)

Replaced mine with BlueTube. Haven't used the stock tube yet...

Latest posts

Back