Mega Rebel with Monokote

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I certainly won't be winning any awards for monokote skills on this build. :blowingbubbles:

But here is a little example of adding a piece of monokote to clean up an edge.

m_IMG_1228small.jpg

m_IMG_1229small.jpg

m_IMG_1230small.jpg

By the way, the colors I have chosen are simply based on the excess monokote colors that I have.

The orange is more about finding the rocket on the ground!

Another note: I was having a lot of headaches with this website.

Trouble typing in remarks, couldn't go back and re-type after loading pics.
However, I just did a Windows update, and there has been a great improvement. I hate Microsoft.....:angiefavorite:

Thanks for looking in, mbeels.

Regarding covering for RC models, there are roughly 3 kinds:

Ultracote & Monokote: https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHWGC&P=0
This is your standard iron on plastic covering. Good strength, shrinkage is ok. "Monokote" is made by Top Flite/Hobbico, which went out of business.

Ultracote Parklite & Econokote: https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHWFB&P=0
"Parklite" is another plastic shrink covering. Not as strong as Ultracote, but with better shrinkage. Also is lighter. Typically used on smaller RC models.

Parklite would probably work better on this rocket build, but I don't know how well it would survive landings.

Oh, Parklite is actually listed as "Ultracote Parklite". Ultracote is listed as "Ultracote". They are made by Hanger 9. Makes my head hurt.

Oratex: https://shop.balsausa.com/product_p/tx-020.htm
Now for something completely different - iron on fabric. This is used for large scale models. Much stronger than Monokote/Ultracote, but does not shrink as well. Also heavier. Could be possibly used on a Mega Rebel that is 3 feet tall.

I covered the launch rod opening with monokote. Have to open it up again. Also used fine tip scissors (sold in fabric department of most stores).

m_IMG_1232small.jpg

Here is my hot air gun, for monokote. Pretty old; maybe time for a new one.

In this pic, it has a blade tip. For general area, you can take the tip off.

m_IMG_1235small.jpg

Yes, this certainly looks like a more challenging monokote job than any airplane I've ever done. It'll be a fun rocket to launch and watch.

Sometimes there is some 'smearing' with monokote. Caused by hot iron near the edge of plastic.

I've never figured out how to prevent this or remove it. Do you have any methods?

Yes, this certainly looks like a more challenging monokote job than any airplane I've ever done. It'll be a fun rocket to launch and watch.

I've never figured out how to prevent this or remove it. Do you have any methods?

Not really. Putting on monokote at low heat, then hitting with heat gun? But that doesn't work, because you are not putting heat on the edges, where you need to secure the monokote.

I normally build scale RC models. I call the smearing 'weathering', and move on. :cheers:

Looks good. Will it be stable when all encased like that?

The monokote covering should improve aerodynamics. However, I will be using the same CG location: 7-1/2 to 7-3/4 inches from the base of the fins, with an Aerotech E15-4W installed.

Sorry for being vague, trying to work quickly on my phone.

I was just musing about how the CP of the open-framed rocket is a bit of a mystery (to me at least), which makes me wonder whether the skinned rocket will be more or less stable.

It might be totally fine, I just realized that the answer isn’t necessarily obvious (again, to me). However, the skinned rocket would be easy to model in OR or Rocksim to find CP if desired. The unskinned rocket... who knows.

Back