Mega Der Red Max Maiden Launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joekipp

Reaction score
All,

Thanks for all your help. Yesterday morning we got to launch the Mega Der Red Max, missing label and all. This was also my first launch with a composite rocket motor, we used an Estes F50-6T. I had a little trouble getting the motor in the mount, the label kept getting stuck trying the put the motor in, with a hard push it went in.

When we arrived we setup the new launch pad, I'll post in the ground support forum about the pad. Put the rocket on the 6' launch rod and David posed with the rocket.

IMG_0039.jpg

The first attempt to launch failed, the igniter "lit" and was burned but the motor did not fire. So I put a second igniter in, we did the count down and WOW. Here's the video, I cut it off after the rocket leave the pad, I was just standing in awe of how loud the rocket was and the phone was videoing the grass.

[video=youtube;8TyVD6tYdSU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TyVD6tYdSU[/video]

The Thirsty Barbarian hit the nail on the head about the loudness of composite motors, it was much louder, faster and had a minimal amount of smoke as compared to a black powder motors. We'll have to use some of the other motors that he mentioned in my other thread.

The rocket went about 400 feet or so, straight up, the chute deployed and the race was on! We chased it down, the wind was at 8 MPH and took it to close to the edge of the flying field were it landed in the grass for a perfect flight. We're both looking forward to a calm day to fly it again.

Thanks again for all your help and advice.

Thanks
Joe Kipp

Dang... the rocket's nearly as big as the kid...

Looks like a nice field there... lots of grass :wink:

Glad you got to get one up!

All The Best!
Jim

Last edited:
Very cool! I'm glad you guys got a chance to fly it! I've got a few videos like that, with a dramatic launch and then random shots of the grass or my shoes, with me muttering in the background audio...

One thing I was taught to do with igniters for composite motors is to put a small bend in the wire right behind the pyrogen head, just a little angle off of straight. Then thread the igniter all the way up into motor so the pyrogen contacts the top and is in as far as it can go. That little angle helps to assure good contact with the grain and results in fewer misfires. Use the rubber band if the motor comes with one, or some tape. to keep the igniter securely in place as you put the rocket on the rod and hook up the leads. It's possible to have the igniter slide down and lose contact with the grain as you do these steps, and that can cause a misfire too.

Congrats on the great flight and the first composite.

Having us watching the grass tells me you probably contacted the dreaded "APCP disease"!

This disease, once contracted, is incurable. It progresses through three advanced stages called L1, L2 and L3! Some say a cure can be found, but I've never heard of one. I recently reached the last and final stage and there doesn't seem to be a cure in sight! There are several support groups available called NAR and TRA. These large groups have local chapters that can provide invaluable help because they supply a lot of GSE (Group Support & Encouragement) a WAIVER (We All Invent Various Excuses for Relapse) that can keep you out of legal trouble while your disease progresses and costs escalate. If your disease causes a CATO (Crashed And Totaled Object) it can be pretty devastating. Even a CHUFF (Common and Hated Unconventional Flame Function) can cause intense discomfort. It seems that the only thing that brings relieve is more Ns (Noble Strength).

Good Luck!

Congrats Joe on the launch and a good flight. So whats next a G79W with lots of smoke or G80T? The MDRM loves the bigger motors.
I think this APCP disease is world wide spread so no use fighting it just go with it and have fun :wink:

For the motor insertion issue, try using a little silicon grease to slick it up.

If it's a club launch, check with the RSO to see if it's OK to remove the label, and write the info using a silver sharpie.

If it's your own private launch... remove the label and write the info using a silver sharpie.

Hmm, not to hijack the thread, but I have never had an RSO ask me to pull out the motor and show it to him.

K'Tesh - Yes the rocket is almost as tall as David, he really loves launching the "Big Ones". This one will hang from the ceiling in his room. The field is nice but it's days are numbered. You cannot see it but there's a road about 50 yards away going thought the middle of the area. When I launch a look at the wind and make a determination as to were to launch from. On the weekend end mornings you'll see a jogger or two as well. They are putting office buildings though this area but starting at the other end but in a couple of years they'll be upon us. There's a sod farm within 20 minutes of my home. I'm going to approach the owner about using that field. Show them a video and offer to have them launch a couple with us. Hopefully they'll let us play in their field.

Thirsty - You were right when you said this was loud. It was incredibly loud so loud that a car on the way down field stopped and watched. Thanks for the tip on bending the igniters, I'll remember to do that next time. I taped the igniter to the bottom of the motor, it was still attached when we recovered the rocket. Next time I'll use some rubber bands.

Handeman and KSM2001 - You're right, Thirsty mentioned this before but I would love to fly this a lot more I'm nervous about the area. I've launched well over a hundred launches of A's, B's and C's , some D's and E's. All have been with rockets of relative low weight. This made me extremely nervous, it weighs 2.5 Lbs. So I'll probably keep using the smaller motors for the time being. Besides at $18 a pop, I can fly a lot more smaller rockets. :)

Bat-Mite and K'tesh - On the motors label, I'll probably just peal it off, put the serial number on it and fly it, if I cannot "Push" it in. It just took a little more "Umph" than I expected.

Overall it was a great flight I'm looking forward to launching the rocket again, next time with some smoke and flash!

Thanks
Joe Kipp

This rocket is one of my favorites to fly. It's just a beefy, chunky looking rocket. Here's a pic of mine on a G80.

Der_Mega_Red_Max.jpg

I just got another F50 and some G80's in and all of them fit just fine, I'm now wondering if the previous motor was a little out of specification.
Thanks
Joe

Back