Mega Der Red Max Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcobbva

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Last month I was at a club event when I saw the Mega Der Red Max in person. Wow. What a rocket. I came home, hit amazon, and had it here in a few days. Sitting back I looked at it and knew this one I wanted to Stickershock. I reached out to Mark for the first time, and everything I've ever heard is true. He is awesome to work with and very fast! I had him do up a special one for this rocket which I'll show when I get there, and then also do one up for my daughter's first mid-power rocket, The Momba. We'll get to that one soon.

Anyway, love the fin design. It sure seems pretty tough with the balsa covered plywood. I'm deviating from the instructions in that I'm not gluing in the aft CR until I can ensure the fin tabs are secured inside. I'm also not using the shock cord and am reaching out to Teddy to get some Kevlar which will attach to an eyebolt. Finally I'm not going to use the plastic motor retainer, but an Aeropack 29mm retainer. I'm also going to use rail buttons vs the launch lugs supplied.

That said, I started off gluing the balsa strips together, making 6 large balsa sheets. I also tacked the center and rear CRs in place; and then let both balsa and CRs dry overnight.
1.jpg3.jpg

This morning I drew the Plywood outline on the balsa sheets and then carefully cut them out. With glue smeared all over the plywood I laid each balsa covering in place, set on top of some wax paper, and then put some heavy books on top. At one point I picked a book back up and found the fin covering had slid off center. So glad I LOOKED!! Anyway, after a few hours, I pulled the books and they looked pretty good.
2.jpg

Once the fins were dry I sanded all the edges flush and then test fit. The fins sat up a little higher than I wanted, so I sanded the base until it allowed the fins to sit flush.
4.jpg

I have to stop here because I don't want to glue in the CR until after I get the Kevlar setup and I'm flying to Seattle tomorrow, so It's not like I'm in a real rush anyway. This is a really cool looking rocket! So glad I saw it back at the club launch. It's going to be a fun one to finish and launch myself.

Last edited:
Mike? :confused2: :tongue:
Mark... :cool:
I've got one of these I need to start on sometime, too.
From what I've heard on the Estes decals, Mark's vinyl will be the way to go.
Adrian

Last edited:
Mike? :confused2: :tongue:
Mark... :cool:
I've got one of these I need to start on sometime, too.
From what I've heard on the Estes decals, Mark's vinyl will be the way to go.
Adrian
Thanks! Changed my typo! The decals actually look pretty nice and the one I saw at the event were stock. Looked really good. However, Marks look amazing!

Nice Kevin. I really like this one too. I built one earlier this year, and had a little trouble with the large black band decal with the skulls. It still turned out nicely and flys excellent. I also found the balsa laminations slipped under pressure.. and just like you, I found it soon enough to correct. If I ever build another one of these, I plan to use epoxy on the fin lamination step.. I wished I was more wary about fin warping due to moisture of the titebond glue. I have only flown it three times, all on G80-7T motors. My fins turned out pretty good and it rotates about 1 turn during the ascent to 1000 ft. Aside, I think the 30" chute is just a tad small. I've been using a JLCR with it, and there is very little difference in vertical rate when it falls with the nose cone out, reefed chute, 18" chute protector and fin can. I plan to put a 36" top flite chute for the next flight.

The MDRM is a fun rocket. They are nice solid flyers and are great if you like low and slow style flights. Are you getting the traditional MDRM livery from Mark, or one of his crazy variations?

One of my favorites! Nice to see you got one too Kevin! :)

I've flown mine a lot...G64-4W is really nice for it. Very tough and hasn't let me down yet and I was considering bringing it to the last launch with a JLCR and H motor.

Only real suggestion is that if you're going to try using the stock decals, cut the large skull one into at least two pieces...it' should make things a lot easier than fooling around with a giant banner decal.

BTW - Mark does make some really amusing stickers for it such as Der Pink Max! :tongue:

Mark/Stickershock's decals are first rate! I used them on OFFl, and my rocket for Rocket Fizz. Great product! Great Service!

I've got two MDRM's in the build pile (back in the US), one to be build as a MDRM (or MBDRM), The other is part of a Goblin upscale. I need to get more of the nosecones as I have plans for a Citation Patriot upscale as well as an Omega. And before anyone suggests a certain popular custom manufacturer to create the nosecones if I can't score them via ebay or by other methods, I'd remind them that I don't care for his customer service skills.

Last edited:
Finally getting back to this. Before I left to Seattle I was able to get the body spirals filled and finally sanded smooth.
filler.jpg Have to include one pic from a great hike when on business travel. falls.jpg

When I got back I carefully measured the CRs, sanded until the fins fit tight, and then began making fillets inside the tube. Never took pictures, but since I couldn't do much above the middle centering ring, I buttered the upper portion of the fin a few times, and then created fillets in the lower section against the MMT and also against the inside of the body tube. I also opted for Rail buttons vs the launch lugs. Once all of this was dry I created very small fillets just for looks on the outer body tube/fin set. I also opted for a 29mm Aeropack retainer as I just felt the steel retainer would last longer than the provided plastic one. Maybe I'm wrong, but it set my mind at ease. Used JBWeld to hold that in place, after sealing the rear CR in place.
fillets.jpgretainer.jpg

I also cut off the bottom of the nose cone and using a tip from the site, picked up a general circle cutter and made a bulkhead for the nosecone(Shown taped in so I could paint as I want to run simulations after weighing after paint and decals). I also dropped the provided shock cord and replaced it with another light kevlar recovery harness from OnebadHawk. Teddy is just GREAT to work with!
nosecone bulkhead.jpg Bulkhead.jpg

Finally it was on to painting. Just stuck with my Rustoleum as I've had best success with that since I'm stuck with Spray cans. A little more work to do and then I'm going to pull out the Stickershock material I purchased earlier.
primer.jpgbody paint.jpgbody painted.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good.

About every third launch, I get tanglement with my Chute Release (my fault, not Chute Release's), and it comes down hard. I have had to reglue my fins a few times. But the great thing is that it always flies great the next time out. Just a little 30-min epoxy and I am good to go.

Looking good.

About every third launch, I get tanglement with my Chute Release (my fault, not Chute Release's), and it comes down hard. I have had to reglue my fins a few times. But the great thing is that it always flies great the next time out. Just a little 30-min epoxy and I am good to go.
John,

What have you learned to reduce the chance of this happening? I have one and the only thing I've learned yet, is it doesn't work when NOT turned on! oops! I haven't used it enough to see a tangle so definitely interested in any intel you might have.

Kevin

John,

What have you learned to reduce the chance of this happening? I have one and the only thing I've learned yet, is it doesn't work when NOT turned on! oops! I haven't used it enough to see a tangle so definitely interested in any intel you might have.

Kevin

Apparently I haven't learned anything! :wink:

My set-up is not optimal. I built my MDRM with the stock rubber shock cord, but realizing that this was inadequate, I added a 15' piece of Kevlar harness to it. I also use a 12" square Nomex protector.

In my haste, I have not been careful about where the swivels/quick-links are in relationship to the C.R. tether. It is the tether that is always the culprit, creating a situation in which the Nomex is unable to completely unwrap off of the chute.

The C.R. always works and releases the chute, but it doesn't always get free.

I don't know if I have just gotten lucky the times it has opened, or if I was just extra lazy when it didn't. I always test the C.R. to make sure it will open, but not after I have wrapped it around the bundle. I really need to do that. Hopefully it will be obvious if it will tangle up, and then I can adjust if necessary.

But, my main point was that these MDRM kits can take a licking! The big fins almost make tumble recovery possible. :wink:

Great night. Got a ton of stuff done after work and then got back onto the rocket. Hit it with a few clear coats as soon as I got home and later wet sanded with micro mesh. I knew it was good for something besides Pinewood Derby nails! Anyway, afterwards, I finally pulled out my very first set of Stickershock Decals. Mark does an amazing job! I was following a pattern I saw online and later realized I preferred another pattern instead. To late. These things are awesome when set it place. Regardless, the "Top Secret" isn't horrid horizontal, but I would have preferred vertical had i seen it elsewhere first!! Oh well. So here's a few shots:

Prior to clear coat
ready for clear coat.jpg
Getting ready to Stickershock!
ready for sticker shock.jpg

Once all the decals were applied.
Side A2.jpgside b.jpgside c.jpg

I still need to glue to nosecone bulk head in place, but again need to weight and find the balance point first; decide if I need any additional nose weight, and then go for gold.

Looking good. The stock decals show a little of the color underneath, but your stickershock white is solid with no hint of red.

looks AWESOME!!

Great night. Got a ton of stuff done after work and then got back onto the rocket. Hit it with a few clear coats as soon as I got home and later wet sanded with micro mesh. I knew it was good for something besides Pinewood Derby nails! Anyway, afterwards, I finally pulled out my very first set of Stickershock Decals. Mark does an amazing job! I was following a pattern I saw online and later realized I preferred another pattern instead. To late. These things are awesome when set it place. Regardless, the "Top Secret" isn't horrid horizontal, but I would have preferred vertical had i seen it elsewhere first!! Oh well. So here's a few shots:

Prior to clear coat
View attachment 299049
Getting ready to Stickershock!
View attachment 299050

Once all the decals were applied.
View attachment 299051View attachment 299052View attachment 299053

I still need to glue to nosecone bulk head in place, but again need to weight and find the balance point first; decide if I need any additional nose weight, and then go for gold.

While not a continuing build thread, I did get another awesome Stickershock setup from Mark for my boy and surprised him today when he finished HIS Der Red Max. He loves it! Fun easy build for him - although I did have to help with much of the vinyl.
erik paint.jpgErik Decals.jpgErik and Dad.jpg

Nice Kevin. Your son looks very proud! We have much in common...
I tried to get my 5yr old son interested to build a Baby Bertha.. but I wound up doing most of it. Perhaps in a few more years he'll develop more interest.

what awesome pictures Kevin!! I look at pictures of your son and remember my son at that age..I am heading up to Penn State on Friday to visit him for the weekend and catch a game....hard to believe he is a junior. The rockets look awesome!!

While not a continuing build thread, I did get another awesome Stickershock setup from Mark for my boy and surprised him today when he finished HIS Der Red Max. He loves it! Fun easy build for him - although I did have to help with much of the vinyl.
View attachment 300448View attachment 300447View attachment 300446

what awesome pictures Kevin!! I look at pictures of your son and remember my son at that age..I am heading up to Penn State on Friday to visit him for the weekend and catch a game....hard to believe he is a junior. The rockets look awesome!!
Thanks Rick! I totally get that. My oldest is a sophomore this year. It goes so quickly! I'm so thankful I got back into rocketry after a long break and my little guy and daughter get to enjoy it as my oldest did when he was young! My daughter's Momba should be done tomorrow. I'll post some cool pics of that when done!! :) Enjoy the Penn State trip. Really beautiful campus and area up there in State College!

can't wait to see the Momba Kevin!! Hope you guys have a great weekend!

Thanks Rick! I totally get that. My oldest is a sophomore this year. It goes so quickly! I'm so thankful I got back into rocketry after a long break and my little guy and daughter get to enjoy it as my oldest did when he was young! My daughter's Momba should be done tomorrow. I'll post some cool pics of that when done!! :) Enjoy the Penn State trip. Really beautiful campus and area up there in State College!

Well off topic of the Red Der Max (Although I bought a Mini today!) here's the Momba Rick! My Girl LOVES it!

epoxy fillets.jpgPainting.jpgRubbing Spots.jpgPeeling Spots.jpgMegan Momba RS Final.jpg

Back