MEGA BUILD THREAD - The Mighty Saturns 1/100 Scale

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like you're getting really nice sharp lines betwixt the black and white areas! Beautiful so far!

Thanks. I use the blue painter's tape with the edges carefully pressed down with my thumbs two or three times before doing any actual painting. It's not *perfect*, but you can't tell from these photos so I call it good enough.

Note that the checker pattern and black stripes on the upper stage are decals - I'm not *that* good!

That's a beaut! Are you adding the Boyce 1/100 Little Joe II ?

I might have to at some point! I was seriously happy to see they had come out with that. I believe the 1/100 Little Joe 1 and 2 will be my next order from Boyce.

Not really looking to buy more kits right this minute though as I have about a dozen in the build pile aside from the Saturns and HPR's I am working on right now, and I really try to keep my build pile size under control.

Are the Chutes thin-mil?

They were the lightest ones Apogee had back when I was ordering the supplies for these Saturns, but looking at them I don't think the 30" is thin-mil. I made sure to order thin-mil ones for SA-7.

Anyway, .71 oz of lead pellets in the nose finishes off SA-5. The first of The Mighty Saturns is complete.

20210718_150623.jpg

Just beautiful... And, is that a WWII flight simulator in the background of the 'chute stuffing post?

Not a simulator, just some old history channel DVD's I had playing. Great miniseries about the exploits of the CV-6 USS Enterprise.

Things have been quiet here because I have been working more on my HPR builds. One of them, the Phoenix, has a need-by deadline of August 14th. The build of SA-7 will continue in the latter half of August.

Not a simulator, just some old history channel DVD's I had playing. Great miniseries about the exploits of the CV-6 USS Enterprise.

Things have been quiet here because I have been working more on my HPR builds. One of them, the Phoenix, has a need-by deadline of August 14th. The build of SA-7 will continue in the latter half of August.
Wow. That's a problem I don't have yet.... But August 13th is my last working day (regular, then I become an as-needed consultant a couple of days a month). So I assume you'll be on duty for the N-G resupply launch on the 9th? Or isn't that going from Wallops?

ETA, sorry, the 10th...

Wow. That's a problem I don't have yet.... But August 13th is my last working day (regular, then I become an as-needed consultant a couple of days a month). So I assume you'll be on duty for the N-G resupply launch on the 9th? Or isn't that going from Wallops?

I will be on duty for that launch (which is actually on the 10th) but right now we're also waiting to hear if the OFT-2 delays are going to affect us. There is only one available docking port, and OFT-2 is supposed to get it for four days before our Cygnus (SS Ellison Onizuka) arrives.

So yeah, we're well into pre-launch scrambling and then I'm going home every night spending my evenings working on the Phoenix.

I will be on duty for that launch (which is actually on the 10th) but right now we're also waiting to hear if the OFT-2 delays are going to affect us. There is only one available docking port, and OFT-2 is supposed to get it for four days before our Cygnus (SS Ellison Onizuka) arrives.

So yeah, we're well into pre-launch scrambling and then I'm going home every night spending my evenings working on the Phoenix.
Oh, yow, that's a good one! Traffic jam at the station! If the valves hadn't messed up on the mighty Atlas V, that does make it tight!

SA-5 upper stack painted and dry-fitted to the first stage. I'm going to just let it sit and dry overnight before doing anything else with it.

View attachment 470427
You won't have time for rockets in 15 years. You'll be fighting off the line of boys at your door.
Your daughter is very pretty, and will no doubt be bringing all kinds of fella's to you door...
I'm so glad I only had boys! I don't think I could have lived through raising a daughter.

You won't have time for rockets in 15 years. You'll be fighting off the line of boys at your door.
Your daughter is very pretty, and will no doubt be bringing all kinds of fella's to you door...
I'm so glad I only had boys! I don't think I could have lived through raising a daughter.
The big thing is getting them to pick men (guys are a dime a dozen), and the best way to do that is to treat her with love and respect and both parents make sure she knows what a treasure she is. She doesn't have to settle, and she doesn't have to "put out" to get a real man, and above all, she doesn't have to put up with abuse.

In other news, looks like your docking port will be available, JS!

Back