Meet at the lake

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrew scott

Reaction score
To all rocket flyers living in Melbourne vic whishing to meet for a day flying,
please send a pm to me for info on wend and where we will be flying.

Done my bit for the gig, have checked out the Lake area for good and/or potential launch sites. So far I reckon the Ian Stewart playing fields North and South (Fields 16A & 16B) look pretty darn good, they are behind the big grey spectators' stand, they are away from the road and they are a good size. The surrounding trees are also not that big so methinks I could climb up them trees which do decide to eat rockets.;)

Other than that, the footy fields surrounding the Clarke Shields Pavilion I reckon are also a good bet. The are however also somewhat closer to the road and close to the light rail line.

Any Melburnians (as in Melbourne AUSTRALIA) who would like to join us please feel free to do so and keep an eye on this thread. It will be most likely happening August 13th.

Cheers ...... Pete

You guys might get a better response if you actually put the word "Melbourne" in the subject. Remember, this is an international forum, and an unhelpful thread title will get lost in the noise with so many other launches being announced.

Good luck with the launch, btw. :)

Originally posted by matthew
You guys might get a better response if you actually put the word "Melbourne" in the subject.
Quite true Matthew, I hadn't noticed that the word Melbourne hadn't been included in the thread title!! :eek: Seems like there is no way of amending or editing the thread title but point taken.

Anyone intending to join us on the launch day please keep an eye on the thread, one of us will post just prior to the launch day as to whether the weather conditions are good or not so good for a launch and whether the launch will or won't go ahead.

Cheers ...... Pete

Just spoke with Pete on the phone. Sunday looks like being good fun. Looking forward to it.

Oh...

...and...

...have a great census night people!

:D

Forecast for Sunday
Fine. Early frost patches in outer suburbs then a sunny day with light wind and
afternoon seabreezes.
Fine. A sunny day with light wind.
City: Min 5 Max 20

Looks like I'll have the whole family there, which is good.

But...

No discussing the cost of motors in front of my wife!!!

Seriously :D , I have some friends who might be coming down to join us. It's looking good people.

Please don't rain, please don't rain, please don't rain. Or blow too hard :eek:

OK No discussing the cost of motors in front of your wife!!!

It's looking good people.

say this "o rocket gods Please don't rain, please don't rain, please don't rain. Or blow too hard " repeat 14 times :)

I'll definitely be there tomorrow and I'm looking forward to an enjoyable day. My Quest Aries on order from WA is yet to arrive, my Quest Area 51 kit was confirmed as being in transit from the U.S only yesterday and my Estes Monarch won't be finished until about Wednesday-Friday .... I'LL ONLY HAVE 2 ROCKETS FOR TOMORROW!!!
24enbkk.jpg

I'll survive nonetheless. See youse tomorrow.
24enarr.gif

Cheers ...... Pete

I couldn't find any 13mm motors at either of my usual suppliers, so I only have 2 to play with. :mad:

Lots of 18mm ones though! :D

Dusted of a couple of rockets I haven't flown for a long time.

I can't wait!

There is some light wind out my way here in Mt Waverley but the day is as sunny as they come and conditions may be even better down the Lake. As far as I'm concerned, today's Lake gig is a-go. :cool:

I'll see youse at Andrew's place around 11-11.30am.

Regards ...... Pete

Hi Skippy-2 and Motorhead

First off I have to say thank you for today launch down at the lake.

An excellent day, despite the loss of my Starwatcher to a rocket eating tree.

Nice to meet both of you, and great to get some flying done, even if the wind was a bit much at times.

Three way drag races rule!

I can see the formation of a new alliance in Melbourne. Heres to us! :D

Heya fellas,

Absolutely awesome launches today, I sure won't be forgetting the day in a hurry. :) It was just as good when I got home .... I had the momentum to get some serious work done on my Estes Monarch!!! :D I've got the main work done and the Monarch is looking cherry, just letting wood glue fin fillets dry overnight and then all I have to do is paint.

We gotta get another gig organised fellas. Next time I should have up to 5-6 (maybe even more) rockets at hand!!! :cool:

Stay in touch fellas. I wouldn't trade today's experience for the world.

Regards ...... Pete

P.S - If I get the chance, I'll head back out to the Lake next week and see if the Star Watcher has dislodged itself from the tree.

P.P.S - Any chance of putting pics of today's launches Andrew?? ;)

Hey guys, it sounds like you had a great time! Can't wait to see some pics, especially of the three way drag race. :D

Andrew, your pics might be bigger than the 100k (very small) limit. When I posted my "The Yellow Invader" thread a couple of weeks ago, I resized to 640x480 and saved as .jpg. That got them sorted.

that's all the pic I got on the day

I will pos the pic on my page wend I find the time :)

Skippy-2 and Motorhead tele me are the size of pic ok for you, or is it to small ?

it looks small to me.

Well done Andrew. Two spectacular lawn darts for the day. I need to talk to someone about that B4-10 motor...

Andrew preps the Columbia before the fin snapping episode...

Back